Gibson Brands Forums

DR Rare's on a slope-shouldered Gibby SJTV

MorrisrownSal

I thought I had tried most of them - I tried DR strings in the past as I had heard that the round core made for less tension, great sound and easier play. The thing is I had bought DR Sunbeams (a fine string in its own right)and assumed those were the strings people talked about regarding the round-cores.

This morning I put on a set of DR Rares and they are wonderful. Almost as soon as I put them on I loved the sound, and I can't put the guitar down. I am getting this aweseome throaty plunk when I fingerpick with a little meat. We are in the midst of a winter storm here in NJ, so I know what I will be doing the rest of the day!

Big thumbs up for DR Rares.

I was using nickel strings but have slowly moved away from them and really like the DR strings.

I tend to prefer the round core Sunbeams but my favorite little music store only carries the Rares so I do use them. I cannot agree with you more that they are great sounding strings no matter I use them on. So these days I use the Rares on my newer guitars (defined as post-1950) but stay with the Sunbeams on the older, lighter built guitars. I am also a fan of the Curt Mangan strings.

DR Rare is always my first choice on my maple J100xtra- since they run a little light, I especially prefer the bluegrass blend (RPBG-12/56). Virtually no break-in period, and they last as long as I want/need them to.

I've been wanting to try the Rares. I have Sunbeams on two guitars now, my SJ included, and I like them. I cant find Rares in stores though. Did you order them on line Sal? I asked at Russo and they said they didn't carry ant DR string. I also have Sunbeams on the J-55, which seems a little too bright. How do the rares compare in that way?

Rich

Dig the rares but still prefer sunbeams on my sj. loving the beams on my lg2 so far but havent tried the rares. will be interested to do so since i tolerated ej16's on the lg2 MUCH longer than i did on my sj. on my parlor I also like the sunbeams best so far.

The thing is I had bought DR Sunbeams (a fine string in its own right)and assumed those were the strings people talked about regarding the round-cores.

The Sunbeams are the round cores from DR. Rares are a hex core string...........and it's good your found them!

They sound good - (have tried both Sunbeams and Rares and found them splendid).

So does the guitar, , , wait till it loosens a bit up, it'll be a dream.

Don't be afraid to Townshend-punch it once in a while - just to help it on the way, , , and for the therapy of course. . ;-)

Stay lucky -

Remember that DR uses a different gauge nomenclature, at least for Sunbeams. DR Sunbeam .012's are called "mediums". The low E in the set is .054 rather than the more typical .053, which gives the Sunbeams a bit more low end punch in my experience.

These are my favorite strings for Gibson flat tops.

another big DR Rare fan here. Been using them a couple of years now and I find them to last as long as any other uncoated strings and seem to have a slightly warmer tone to my ear. My biggest problem is the local shop here seems to sell out of them quickly so its hit or miss for me. When available I go DR, when not I always return to the standard EJ16s.

My biggest problem is the local shop here seems to sell out of them quickly so its hit or miss for me. When available I go DR, when not I always return to the standard EJ16s.

Buy them online, in bulk, from juststrings.com. Good prices, great service. They have almost any strings you want.

Guys... excuse my playing as it is imperfect to begin with, and I just came in from the cold and some shoveling... but here is a quick iphone video I just made. I used n iphone with a USB snowball mic, which sounds a bit better than the camera mic. But hopefully can get the gist of the sound...

http://youtu.be/qUCY8ZlVd_4

Love the sound of that guitar and those strings! Don't like what sitedrifter said about them only lasting 5 days though. That's the whole reason I have been hooked on nanowebs since I first tried them (longer life).

On a side note I'm really gonna have to start dedicating more time to fingerpicking to progress as a guitar player because I love the sound of the technique. I am always envious when I hear you guys fingerpicking but the focus required just frustrates the f@$k out of me. I bought Toby Walker's beginner fingerstyle package but my procrastinator ADHD/add disease always gets in the way.

I think I just stumbled across a new year's resolution : everytime I pick up my guitar to play at least one song fingerstyle. The payoff will also be two-fold, not only will I acquire a technique I've always yearned to have but will also have an excuse to give the wife on why I am shopping for a new guitar!

It's gonna be a great new year boys/girls!

Archived