Gibson Brands Forums

Getting correctly spaced PUP covers?

jbear

Hey All

I am covering a Gibson Burstbucker 3 bridge PUP and a 57 Classic neck. It looks as if the 57 Classic is a 49.2mm spacing (54mm outer edges of screws) and the BB3 is 50mm (55mm outer to outer).

Am I measuring correctly?

Anyone sell sets like that or...just have to get them individually.

I'd really be grateful for a definitive answer from one who's done this before rather than "seems like the XX covers should be the ones..." Rather just do this once.

You think there would be a reference list somewhere; this is a pretty common thing to do.

Thanks all!

Hey All

I am covering a Gibson Burstbucker 3 bridge PUP and a 57 Classic neck. It looks as if the 57 Classic is a 49.2mm spacing (54mm outer edges of screws) and the BB3 is 50mm (55mm outer to outer).

Am I measuring correctly?

Anyone sell sets like that or...just have to get them individually.

I'd really be grateful for a definitive answer from one who's done this before rather than "seems like the XX covers should be the ones..." Rather just do this once.

You think there would be a reference list somewhere; this is a pretty common thing to do.

Thanks all!

Gibson sells two sizes of pick up covers. The spacing for the holes on the bridge cover is a little wider than the spacing for the holes on the neck cover. In my opinion, one of those covers should fit. If the spacing is truly different, you should get one of each. However, on my guitars, most of them are the same and I can't remember which pick up cover fits both of them. I believe the measuring is done from the center of the outside holes but I can't remember that either.

Stewmac and Allparts both sell cover to fit your needs

Yeah...well...the magic question is...

Why is there no easy to find list of pickup pole spacings? It's not like its 50mm or 20mm. It's a 0.8mm difference. That makes ordering incorrectly a parallax moment away. Just silly that such a thing doesn't exist. The folks who sell covers should have a reference list. Know what they say..."Measure the XX...and get YY." Sometimes XX is the screws, sometimes it's the slugs, sometimes it's outer, sometimes it's center. Maddening! I'll say this, if my business was selling parts, I'd sure as s**t know every single part in my inventory and what fit what.

Sorry...I'm not actually angry...just nonplussed at how some (some...not all) experts don't bother to actually be experts.

Sure am loving this LP though[thumbup]...gratuitous emoticon usage post-warning.

Yeah...well...the magic question is...

Why is there no easy to find list of pickup pole spacings? It's not like its 50mm or 20mm. It's a 0.8mm difference. That makes ordering incorrectly a parallax moment away. Just silly that such a thing doesn't exist. The folks who sell covers should have a reference list. Know what they say..."Measure the XX...and get YY." Sometimes XX is the screws, sometimes it's the slugs, sometimes it's outer, sometimes it's center. Maddening! I'll say this, if my business was selling parts, I'd sure as s**t know every single part in my inventory and what fit what.

Sorry...I'm not actually angry...just nonplussed at how some (some...not all) experts don't bother to actually be experts.

Sure am loving this LP though[thumbup]...gratuitous emoticon usage post-warning.

Again, Gibson only makes two spacings. If yours are truly different from each other, I would expect that you have one with bridge spacing and one with neck spacing. So, buy one of each.

They do post the specs on the Gibson site:

Product Description

An original OEM replacement or restoration pickup cover that fits perfectly over any bridge position Gibson humbucker, with a measurement of 52 mm between the centers of the outside poles. Available in either a Chrome, Gold, or Nickel finish.

Product Description

An original OEM replacement or restoration pickup cover that fits perfectly over any neck position Gibson humbucker, with a measurement of 50 mm between the centers of the outside poles. Available in either a Chrome, Gold, or Nickel finish.

Again, Gibson only makes two spacings. If yours are truly different from each other, I would expect that you have one with bridge spacing and one with neck spacing. So, buy one of each.

yep....that's how my set from allparts for my V came.....non interchangable because of 2 diff. pole spacings.

but they each fit 1 of my p'ups.

Archived