Gibson Brands Forums

'60's GA-100 Bass amp questions

SDB Guitars

So, I was given a mid-'60's "Tuck Away" Crestline series GA-100 Bass amp a couple of days ago. It looks super clean, but I can't test it yet as it appears to require 7591 output tubes, and all I have are 6L6GC's...

I found one thread here that seems to identify it as possibly a '64 GA-100, though I can't confirm that anywhere else on the internet do far... http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/70419-1964-gibson-ga-100-amp-question/

It doesn't match any of the schematics (or pictures) that I can find through Google, as the '60-'61 tweed model had 9 tubes and the '61-'62 Crestline model had 6 tubes, and both amps used 6L6's...

Here are a few pictures I took of the amp, hoping someone has some additional info.

11426934294_6f8bb9d431_b_d.jpg

11427075303_5b64ec15b0_b_d.jpg

11426921295_742d39c470_b_d.jpg

Thanks!

Shawn.

• 2 months later...

OldPlucker -

I traced the layout and compared it to other early '60's Gibson amp layouts/schematics... It matches up with a GA-60 Hercules combo amp. Same part values, same speaker, same tube complement, same LDR compressor circuit. Just in a head/cabinet setup vs. a combo amp.

• 2 months later...

SBD,

I had that exact amp in 1966-9 ...7591 outputs and 1 15" speaker. I use to disconnect the compression circuit to get more volume on stage. Somewhere I have pics of me playing it on stage at a soc hop in the 60's.. If you ever get tired of it I sure would love to have another one since it was my first amp. I played a knock off violin shaped bass through it. I'llpost a pic when I can dig it up.

David W

Eflat -

I gave it to a friend, but he might be interested in selling it. I retubed it with JJs (rectifier and power tubes, preamp tubes are stock), and it sounds amazing! With bass it nails that '60's Carol Kaye/Joe Osborn tone. Guitar is punchy and mostly clean (lots of headroom).

PM me if you're interested in buying, and I will put you in touch with the guy who has it.

Archived