Gibson Brands Forums

Help Picking out a new guitar

Riptide

So, I've been saving up and am looking at getting another guitar in the next... maybe six months? Anyway I've played a lot of guitars and there are two I've played that were just amazing and fit with me so well! They just felt alive in my hands [biggrin] they were the Fender '52 Reissue and the Fender Jim Adkins Telecaster.

I'm trying to decide which one to invest in first :-k I'm thinking after my next guitar purchase it will be 2-3 years before I can get another one and I really like both those guitars. I think the '52 Reissue would complement my current guitars better (Gibson LP Jr. and LTD Viper 301) however I'm concerned about the JA Tele not being available a few years down the road.

So, which one would you suggest getting first? Any thoughts are much appreciated! :)

So, I've been saving up and am looking at getting another guitar in the next... maybe six months? Anyway I've played a lot of guitars and there are two I've played that were just amazing and fit with me so well! They just felt alive in my hands [biggrin] they were the Fender '52 Reissue and the Fender Jim Adkins Telecaster.

I'm trying to decide which one to invest in first :-k I'm thinking after my next guitar purchase it will be 2-3 years before I can get another one and I really like both those guitars. I think the '52 Reissue would complement my current guitars better (Gibson LP Jr. and LTD Viper 301) however I'm concerned about the JA Tele not being available a few years down the road.

So, which one would you suggest getting first? Any thoughts are much appreciated! :)

Being an owner of teles a few times i can offer some words. Imo, alot it is do you keep gits or sell/trade them after awhile? I find myself being a trader, i love to find the diff tones each model brings but i only buy from certain brands so that i have an easy sell/trade. Much like if you had a custom motorcycle, a standard blue Harley will sell alot faster than one with hot pink flames.

So, if you've tried both gits and love them both decide if the git is to keep or sale down the road? The 52 tele is most likely a much easier sell, not that anyone wouldnt want the adkins tele, its beautiful in its own right but imo you'd have to wait for the right buyer on that while the 52 tele would draw more interest.

The Adkins is a unique kind of tele, but if it is tonally similar to other gits you have now why not get the 52? Your choice and your wife/gf and budget may also play a part in it but think of it this way, if you love both you could always buy the more expensive model now and maybe find an Adkins for 450 used later? Your money, your choice, but if you plan to keep make sure its one you really love.

Being an owner of teles a few times i can offer some words. Imo, alot it is do you keep gits or sell/trade them after awhile? I find myself being a trader, i love to find the diff tones each model brings but i only buy from certain brands so that i have an easy sell/trade. Much like if you had a custom motorcycle, a standard blue Harley will sell alot faster than one with hot pink flames.

So, if you've tried both gits and love them both decide if the git is to keep or sale down the road? The 52 tele is most likely a much easier sell, not that anyone wouldnt want the adkins tele, its beautiful in its own right but imo you'd have to wait for the right buyer on that while the 52 tele would draw more interest.

The Adkins is a unique kind of tele, but if it is tonally similar to other gits you have now why not get the 52? Your choice and your wife/gf and budget may also play a part in it but think of it this way, if you love both you could always buy the more expensive model now and maybe find an Adkins for 450 used later? Your money, your choice, but if you plan to keep make sure its one you really love.

Thanks a alot for all the info it was a big help [biggrin] I'm one to hold onto guitars and not sell/trade them however I've only been playing for 3-4 years so I don't know what the future will bring :) You make a good point on getting the more expensive one first... also like you said the '52 probably isn't going to go down in price nearly as much and the JA-90 when they are out of production.

Sounds Crazy, I know, having just read the previous post but I'd buy the one which sounded, and played, best to your ears right now.

Doing anything else is a waste of your immediate future playing time.

P.

You make a great point! I think after reading the previous post and this I will probably for for the '52... I liked the JA-90 but not the same way I loved the '52... there was just something special about it in my hands. I've always been a Gibson person for the most part and I like warmer sounding guitars but there was just something really special about the feel and the tone of the '52.

Archived