Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning guitar with compressed air?

EVOL!

I am having the bathroom in my basement remodeled and yesterday they started the demolition part. The music room is in the basement around the corner from the bathroom and I forgot to put my guitars in their cases. Both my SG Special and CIJ Jazzmaster got an ever-so-light dusting of drywall dust. Would anyone advise against giving the tight areas (around the bridge and pickups) a shot of compressed air to blow the dust off.

I would think if you keep the air pressure low (presume you mean w/ a compressor & blow gun) and keep it moving I wouldn't be too "skerrrt" of that! Even with an OSHA approved blow gun you can generate some damaging pressures so keep the pressure low at the hose side of the regulator.

Maybe would drain the tank from oil/water at the bottom first however.

Aster

I played a joint one time that had recently been under water from a river flood. At first glance the place looked pretty clean.

After rockin' and rollin' for a few hours I noticed all our gear was covered in flood silt. The air movement from the band had stirred up all kinds of silt that couldn't be seen.

I literally had to take my guitar apart piece by piece to clean it.

I would think if you keep the air pressure low (presume you mean w/ a compressor & blow gun) and keep it moving I wouldn't be too "skerrrt" of that! Even with an OSHA approved blow gun you can generate some damaging pressures so keep the pressure low at the hose side of the regulator.

Maybe would drain the tank from oil/water at the bottom first however.

Aster

True that.

Better yet get a can of compressed air for electronics.

Any electronics shop should have it.

last thing i'd do is use a cloth to wipe it as that would be grinding fine particles into the finish causing "swirl scratches" that may never come out.

same thing as happens when using a dirty buffing pad on a car.

also, don't use any old compressed air as anything w/o a dryer/filter in the system will impregnate condensed water/dirt particles into the finish.

canned air until it's absolutely clean...then a damp cloth followed by dry then polish.

The compressed air would be canned. Not even sure where I could get access to an air compressor outside of buying one.

[scared] [scared] [scared] [scared]

You don't own an air compressor?? how is that even possible?

lol,,,sorry,, just messin with ya..

I don't think I could be without one.

Woops:

Sorry didn't catch the prior info. Guess we're on the same page.

True that.

Better yet get a can of compressed air for electronics.

Any electronics shop should have it.

Not a bad suggestion, but I have seen the compressed air "cans" blow liquid all over the place if they are held just a little bit wrong. That could be a disaster if that cold hits the guitar. Happened on my keyboard a couple of times and I switched back to the compressor. You can filter the compressed air easy from a compressor too.

Aster

Thanks for the additional knowledge!

You got me thinking. Now that I own a home with an actual yard and garage, might be a good idea to get an air compressor. At the very least I could blow debris out of my garage in the spring.

Now that I own a home with an actual yard and garage, might be a good idea to get an air compressor. At the very least I could blow debris out of my garage in the spring.

As I mentioned above, it's a must for every guy's garage. You'll find countless uses for one. (Ever notice what those guys at the car wash use to get all the little water drops out of those cracks and crevices?)

Thanks for the additional knowledge!

You got me thinking. Now that I own a home with an actual yard and garage, might be a good idea to get an air compressor. At the very least I could blow debris out of my garage in the spring.

Well, at least you could air up your tires & use it for an air nail gun to re-shingle your roof. [biggrin]

Would use a leaf blower (need that too) now that you own that home!! [rolleyes]

I use mine for air tools & love it weekly.

Aster

As I mentioned above, it's a must for every guy's garage. You'll find countless uses for one. (Ever notice what those guys at the car wash use to get all the little water drops out of those cracks and crevices?)

Best I've found for the Harley's & the car. Much better than the Metro Vac blower!!! LOVE IT. Got to wear hearing protection as the unit is very quiet, but the blast of the air at the nozzle onto the motorparts really can be LOUD.

Aster

airshammy_zps83dbdc81.jpg

Archived