Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions

Rosemarie

Seller says:

"...I don't know too much about it...I was told it was made in the USA...I was given a range of what to get for it, so please don't waste your or my time unless you're seriously interested..."

Seller either doesn't know too much about it, or does. Can't have it both ways with a mystery "I know a range of what to get for it" but nothing else. I'd pass.

Guitar Hospital used to be up Stratford way. Sorta.

rct

The dot fret inlays at the 12th fret are spaced widely apart. The only other modern era strats I've noticed this on are mij and chinese counterfeits. Look at other strats ( mim and Americans ) and you'll see what I mean as the dots are much closer together. The seller is doing a CYA by saying "I was told" it was American made, this way when the buyer finds out it isn't American the seller has something to fall back on.You should be able to find a nice mim strat for 225-250. I would pass on this guitar unless you know for sure what it is or the price is so low you cant resist it..$100-125. It's hard to give an opinion on something by looking at pictures, it's going out on a limb and best not to. It does appear to have been well played.

The dot fret inlays at the 12th fret are spaced widely apart. The only other modern era strats I've noticed this on are mij and chinese counterfeits. Look at other strats ( mim and Americans ) and you'll see what I mean as the dots are much closer together. The seller is doing a CYA by saying "I was told" it was American made, this way when the buyer finds out it isn't American the seller has something to fall back on.

And considering the Japanese normally stamp the serial number and "Made in Japan" just above the neck heel...I'm guessing it's a partscaster, not a legitimate Fender. You can get those Fender decals all over the place...

-Ryan

And considering the Japanese normally stamp the serial number and "Made in Japan" just above the neck heel...I'm guessing it's a partscaster, not a legitimate Fender. You can get those Fender decals all over the place...

-Ryan

True Ryan.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I knew I could count on you! I figured it was a "too good to be true" deal, but thought I'd see what you all thought since you are all WAY better at this than me! I'm passing on it! I am just waxing nostalgic for the MIA Strat I bought for my husband when we were dating (that he sold for $150 [cursing] when he decided he didn't want to play anymore! Sorry, still hurts to think about it!). I figured I'd see what I came across on CL.

Thanks again, guys! You're the BEST! [thumbup]

Yes they do. Fifties is not modern era however. They also had USA stamping on them.

The 50s models they are coming out with now have them. Also, the Strat in the add has a ton of wear and could be older that "modern era". That doesn't mean that this Strat wasn't reliced.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I knew I could count on you! I figured it was a "too good to be true" deal, but thought I'd see what you all thought since you are all WAY better at this than me! I'm passing on it! I am just waxing nostalgic for the MIA Strat I bought for my husband when we were dating (that he sold for $150 [cursing] when he decided he didn't want to play anymore! Sorry, still hurts to think about it!). I figured I'd see what I came across on CL.

Thanks again, guys! You're the BEST! [thumbup]

I think that is a wise decision. His story kind of smells.

A couple other weird things I noticed. It has those vintage tuning pegs with the slot in the post, and you have to insert the string down the hole in the middle. Also, is it normal to have 5 springs behind the tremelo bridge? It seems I've always seen 3... :-k

A couple other weird things I noticed. It has those vintage tuning pegs with the slot in the post, and you have to insert the string down the hole in the middle. Also, is it normal to have 5 springs behind the tremelo bridge? It seems I've always seen 3... :-k

Those vintage style tuning pegs aren't all that uncommon...especially on vintage tinted necks like that, to try and make it look "old".

And number of springs in the trem cavity is preference. Generally when I see 5, it means the person doesn't use the trem and they don't want it moving too much, which the extra spring tension helps with.

-Ryan

Archived