Gibson Brands Forums

After a long year in the shop (warning no Gibson content)..

SWD

Well, almost exactly 1 year ago, actually Jan.8th, I took my Washburn Prairie Song Custom dreadnaught to my Luthier for major surgery. This was the guitar that I partnered with my father to purchase back in 1981 or 82, can't remember.

Anyhow he used it as his own for years and when he passed away in 2001, Mom kept it under the bed in her apartment, dragging it out for special occassions. But time, low humidity in apart. bldgs and neglect caused, or attributed to some serious neck issues.

It was to the point of no return, and I struggled with the idea to re-build at no small cost or take advise from some well-meaning family to hang it on the wall as keep-sake.

I couldn't do that! So I instructed my guy to "do what needs done to make her sing again". I planned on presenting it to my mother as a Christmas gift this year and play her a tune for the first time(for me). Well, Mom passed away this summer from aggressive cancer. But before she was too sick, I decided to tell her what I was up to since the guitar wan't ready yet. She cried a river, and thanked me over and over...then true to form asked that she help pay for the repairs...Of course I declined the offer. The cost was enough to buy a new guitar, but it wouldn't have this history in it.. She was very happy to know this guitar would live on.

I've been talking with the luthier lately and the guitar is ready to pick up tonite.

It had to have a neck reset - new frets, truss rod freed up(somehow it was glued in place) - new bone nut and saddle - a section of top under the fingerboard extension needed to be pulled back even with the body - and additional minor finish repairs.

I'm not sure how to post pics, but would like to share this endeavour with you all since Christmas is coming soon.

Sorry for the long story.

I know what you mean. A few months ago I put about $300 into my 60's Kay guitar which is worth maybe $50 because it was the 1st one my Mom got me. I really feel good about it and it's definitely more than a wall hanger. Hard to place a value on sentiments.

Well, as promised, here is the Washburn PrairieSong Custom....

Original Washburn closed back chrome tuners 16:1

Rosewood B+S.

I think its a Sitka Spruce top.

Mahogany neck.

Ebony fingerboard and bridge.

inlaid maple fret markers. Maple binding

Has the diamond volute at the top of the neck, kinda like Martins.

Bone nut and saddle.

ebony pins.

Work done...

remove-repair and rebuild the neck block attachment

remove fingerboard to gain access to truss rod channel..rod was somehow glued into the channel at the factory.

reset neck

repair lacquer damage from repairs.

pull fingerboard extension back into proper place and stabilize.

seal off lacquer dings on top from dents etc.

re-radius fingerboard

full fret replacement

New bone nut and saddle installed.

Pins were replaced with plastic, but I'll likely go back to the ebonies, or install bone pins.

Of course, full set up with new 12 - 53's

Action set to 0.085 on bass, 0.055 on treble.

I had a K&K Pure Mini Passive installed, and it does not disappoint for sure.

First time its been played full on for the last 12 years..

I'm a happy man! The patina is wicked!, and the sound!!!!It's every bit as good or better than I remember.

The pickup gave me the natural sound I was hoping for.

post-52016-004352900 1387722050_thumb.jpg

Well, as promised, here is the Washburn PrairieSong Custom....

Original Washburn closed back chrome tuners 16:1

Rosewood B+S.

I think its a Sitka Spruce top.

Mahogany neck.

Ebony fingerboard and bridge.

inlaid maple fret markers. Maple binding

Has the diamond volute at the top of the neck, kinda like Martins.

Bone nut and saddle.

ebony pins.

Work done...

remove-repair and rebuild the neck block attachment

remove fingerboard to gain access to truss rod channel..rod was somehow glued into the channel at the factory.

reset neck

repair lacquer damage from repairs.

pull fingerboard extension back into proper place and stabilize.

seal off lacquer dings on top from dents etc.

re-radius fingerboard

full fret replacement

New bone nut and saddle installed.

pinswere replaced with plastic, but I'll likely go back to the ebonies, or install bone pins.

Of course, full set up with new 12 - 53's

Action set to 0.085 on bass, 0.055 on treble.

I had a K&K Pure Mini Passive installed, and it does not disappoint for sure.

First time its been played full on for the last 12 years..

I'm a happy man! The patina is wicked!, and the sound!!!!It's every bit as good or better than I remember.

The pickup gave me the natural sound I was hoping for.

That's pretty awesome, I was givin the Gibson j160e my dad used way back in the day he taught me the basics on it but then put it away and never touched it, or let anyone else, now waits to be redone

aliasphobias

ya, this was taken by my sis-in-law on the phone...I hate that!

I ended up leaving it at my brother's place Thursday nite as we were supposed to have a Christmas bash there, and it seemed to make sense to leave it there...BUT, that show was cancelled due to bad weather, ALL weekend! So there the guitar remains til I have time to go get it.

I need to go to my brothers place to pick it up over the next couple of days and then I'll get more-better pics.

Stay tuned...

Here's a few better pics of the Prairie Song..

Man, does it ever ring out! [biggrin] ..Look at that scalloped bracing!

I find the action is a bit too low for me, but maybe I just need to get used it.

The neck reset looks like there are gaps at the heel, but on close inspection, it is more glue line, but in fairness, I don't believe he could have straightened the shoulders enough to hide that line.

The close up of the sound hole shows the splits on each side of the fingerboard that got shoved down into the sound hole by 3/16 to 1/4in.! [scared] The shop guy was able to pull it back in place and re-glue. Its not a case of hiding everything and making it pristine, the scars will add to the history and character of this family heirloom.

Merry Christmas.

thumbphp.jpegIMG_0681.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0682.jpgIMG_0670.jpgIMG_0675.jpgIMG_0680.jpgd66sw013.jpg

Archived