Gibson Brands Forums

clockwisw or counter

emmonsh

hi every1. just put a new bone saddle and pins from bob on my j35. I know a lot of people didn't like the bone saddle but with pb on it sounds great. I have adjusted truss rods before but always from in the hole and would be clockwise to take out relief. with the adjustment at the top does it still go cw or is it counterclockwise. also any1 know for sure size of nut driver that fits the truss rod[at least if I remember right that's what its is. I have always had a allen wrench. thanks every1 for the help and merry xmas. by the way the heighth at the 7th is just over 10 with capo at 12 and holding down 1st. so I want to adjust just a bit

In other words, whether the adjustment is in the sound hole (as in Martin) or at the headstock (as in Gibson) it is to the left to loosen which adds relief and to the right to straighten the neck to take out relief? Correct?

As far as I know, all the truss rods are right-hand threaded, so clockwise will straighten the neck, and counterclockwise will add relief for all necks, regardless if the nut is positioned at the peghead's or the body's end of the neck. The latter also appears on Fenders which means e. g. I will have to remove the neck of my '65 Mustang Bass for a trial and error adjustment procedure. So will you have to tune down the strings of Martins, too, I guess?

the part I was confused was using logic [scared] thinking clockwise is opposite when your looking from the headstock or soundhole. but righty tighty is the method no matter which way your looking to take out relief. unfortunately I tried a 5/16th nut driver and wasn't deep enough so im just going to order a truss rod wrench from ebay

Archived