Gibson Brands Forums

Question for THE WHO fans

JuanCarlosVejar

what are the The Who's best songs ?

I've never been a big fan of them until only recently after listening to Pete and Roger do some acoustic stuff together .

that being said one of my favorite songs of all time is So Sad About Us :

can anyone recommend any songs they like ? I already know some of what Pete calls the "CSI Classics" Won't Get Fooled Again and those kind of things .

thanks

JC

If you are a rock & roll fan, the album "Live at Leeds" is one if the best rock albums ever recorded: straight ahead, raw & full throttle but virtuoso playing & dynamics. Best enjoyed played at pretty good volume.

A seminal piece of work by great musicians in their prime. I bought it when it was released 40+ years ago & still love it.

It ain't acoustic but Pete is wielding a Gibson SG.

They're one of those bands that I'm obviously not getting. Some of the songs mentioned here are just brilliant. The real me , won't get fooled etc. But I've tried a few times to try and see what I'm missing to no avail. The live at Leeds album is in many a 'best albums ever' list. But I'm unmoved.

They're one of those bands that I'm obviously not getting. Some of the songs mentioned here are just brilliant. The real me , won't get fooled etc. But I've tried a few times to try and see what I'm missing to no avail. The live at Leeds album is in many a 'best albums ever' list. But I'm unmoved.

Search out the early stuff before they became the Who and see if you like that any better, they were called the 'high numbers' before changing to 'The Who', proper 2-step mod stuff…

That's likely to put me off more ....

:D

Never leave a job unfinished :D

For me the Who have always been a band that were massive despite having loads of roasters in their catalogue… I reckon you could really get the best of the Who down to about 8-10 songs over the whole career. Or should we just say they're the ultimate Xmas band, ever record has a few turkeys on it.

So Sad About Us is a good choice but I prefer the version covered by The Jam more....but I am a big Paul Weller fan so I am admittedly biased.

My favorite song by The Who comes pretty late in the sequence.... Eminence Front

Bram ,

it was actually the Jam & Paul Weller's duet with Pete that got me to go back and check the who's version out .

@Everyone ,

thanks alot for your opinions I'll check out all the suggestions

JC

Bram ,

it was actually the Jam & Paul Weller's duet with Pete that got me to go back and check the who's version out .

@Everyone ,

thanks alot for your opinions I'll check out all the suggestions

JC

Here is said duet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XetSWO3qDyM&sns=em

I have discovered some great music by digging into Weller's influences, but just never really got into the Who for some reason. I always dig your post though JC.

Brian

It would probably help to watch some interviews or documentaries about the who and their music before trying to wrap your head around the music- that's what made it finally click for me. Pete Townsend is really inside his own head on a lot of his more opus-type stuff and hearing an explanation makes for more accessible listening.

I'm into their early stuff, just because I love any of those brit bands early stuff. Who's Next from my dad's cd collection was my first exposure, and it's the one I go back to. Probably not their best though.

here's my favourite!

"pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday"

I love the way Townshend carries over the energy from his standing, electric performances into a seated, acoustic version of the same song.

And he does love his Gibsons, both acoustic and electric. The man pretty much cemented the identification of the SJ-200 with acoustic rock guitar.

I also love the big "1" on the rim of this guitar. He knows which guitar to pick up for this song.

I love the way Townshend carries over the energy from his standing, electric performances into a seated, acoustic version of the same song.

And he does love his Gibsons, both acoustic and electric. The man pretty much cemented the identification of the SJ-200 with acoustic rock guitar.

I also love the big "1" on the rim of this guitar. He knows which guitar to pick up for this song.

Wow amazing! Thanks for sharing! Makes me wanna pick up my guitar and play....until I hear the jackass playing it! Lol.

"My Generation" is the ultimate statement of Rock and Roll.

I'm with you, Gramps.... it was the first Who song I heard...and it literally blew me away...... sat with a 45 on a record player going over and over the bass lead trying to learn it, (or at least come close).

Archived