Gibson Brands Forums

Pup swap in a les Paul supreme any suggestions

Timefortea

Hello fello les Paul lovers I'm considering a pup swap in my supreme

It's not that I don't like what's in there but as the old saying goes a change is as good as a rest

So if there's any one out that has done this what to your ears sounded good and bad

I play mostly blues rock thanks in advance

And any one try the new 2012-14 les Paul with the out phase switching and coil taps I'm iching for a new les Paul don't know if I should go old school or rock something newer

I bought a SG supreme with P90,s about 10 years ago I figured the mahogany body with a maple top on an SG would sound killer with P90's. Well all I can say is great looking guitar but very weak/thin sounding.With it having P90,s I didnt have the large choice say of deceiding what pick up to put in.So just an idea for you is to have the pickups you already have in it rewound thats what I did.That way you dont end up with one set of pickups you didnt like and spending cash on your new set you hope are what you want,just a thought.Dont have many pictures of that guitar and I traded it for a different guitar but the PU's I had rewound made it sound killer,some serious great sounding pickups and for a lot less than buying two new ones would have cost.Here's who rewound mine,the web page has changed but he was a nice easy guy to work with. http://www.skguitar.com/SKGS/sk/pickups.htm

11738563.jpg

I bought a SG supreme with P90,s about 10 years ago I figured the mahogany body with a maple top on an SG would sound killer with P90's. Well all I can say is great looking guitar but very weak/thin sounding.With it having P90,s I didnt have the large choice say of deceiding what pick up to put in.So just an idea for you is to have the pickups you already have in it rewound thats what I did.That way you dont end up with one set of pickups you didnt like and spending cash on your new set you hope are what you want,just a thought.Dont have many pictures of that guitar and I traded it for a different guitar but the PU's I had rewound made it sound killer,some serious great sounding pickups and for a lot less than buying two new ones would have cost.Here's who rewound mine,the web page has changed but he was a nice easy guy to work with. http://www.skguitar.com/SKGS/sk/pickups.htm

11738563.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of just swapping out the pups I'd like to keep the originals as we all know if you mess with this stuff the value of the guitar is going to drop not that I'd sell her

She has the standard 490/498 in at the moment was wondering if any body out there had tride the bb of 57s or a none Gibson pups

I don't have a Supreme, but I recently did a swap in my Studio. Started with BB Pros and put a 490/498 set in. Next string change the BB Pros went back in.

I like the 490/498 set for mid and higher gain, but in the clean to crunch range I like the BB Pros better.

I actually like the 490 a lot. Another option would be to start by just changing the bridge to something different.

Or, we could do an even swap - my studio for your supreme. That would save on solder cost :)

I don't have a Supreme, but I recently did a swap in my Studio. Started with BB Pros and put a 490/498 set in. Next string change the BB Pros went back in.

I like the 490/498 set for mid and higher gain, but in the clean to crunch range I like the BB Pros better.

I actually like the 490 a lot. Another option would be to start by just changing the bridge to something different.

Or, we could do an even swap - my studio for your supreme. That would save on solder cost :)

Great idea what's your address I'll post it over lol [biggrin]

Good suggestion on changing just the bridge

Or I could just go get my self a new les Paul with different pups come on it is Christmas ( that's what I'd tell the wife lol)

Great idea what's your address I'll post it over lol [biggrin]

Good suggestion on changing just the bridge

Or I could just go get my self a new les Paul with different pups come on it is Christmas ( that's what I'd tell the wife lol)

I'm thinking about either a set of SD P-Rails for my Studio, or an ESP/LTD that comes with them from the factory. Same idea ... swap or add.

My "problem" is that the BB Pros are too close to my Beauty.

57 and 57 Classic plus I think are the best pickups Gibson makes. Maybe the Burstbucker 1 (output of 6.5 with Alnico II). Everyone seems to think the hotter pickups get the best tone, I think Les Paul knew what he was talking about when he insisted on lower impedence pickups. I have the 57 and 57+ in my LP, the only other one I would consider is the BB1 in the neck.

57 and 57 Classic plus I think are the best pickups Gibson makes. Maybe the Burstbucker 1 (output of 6.5 with Alnico II). Everyone seems to think the hotter pickups get the best tone, I think Les Paul knew what he was talking about when he insisted on lower impedence pickups. I have the 57 and 57+ in my LP, the only other one I would consider is the BB1 in the neck.

I was leaning to the 57s love the tone they give

I'm with you on the lower out put I have a set bb in my Gary Moore Bfg love them to I think for that model they wound prity hot

Hello Timefortea,

the most important motivation to post here is to point out that any pickup's tone highly depends on the strings and both woods and construction of the guitar, and that the final sound results are hard to predict.

I left all of my Gibson guitars with the pickups which came stock. In my Les Paul guitars, there are one braided wired pair of '57s, one braided wired '57/'57 Plus combo, one four-lead wired '57/'57 Plus combo, one four-lead wired BB1/BB2 combo, one four-lead wired BB Pro neck & bridge combo, and one four-lead wired 496R/498T combo and a piezo FR bridge. Both of my 2011 L6S came with a four-lead wired 490R/498T combo. The Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs either feature a four-lead wired pair'57s, and my SG Supra has three braided-wired '57s and a piezo TOM bridge.

There also the '70s tarbacks of my 1973 L6-S and my 1978 S-G Standard, two very different and either fantastic Super Humbucking pairs, each pickup loaded with one respectively three ceramic magnets. They are sadly unavailable since decades, I leave them out here. There also are no remakes by third-party vendors on the aftermarket, perhaps also due to the weird license situation after Jzchak Wajcman ceased collaboration with Bill Lawrence but ridiculously abuses his good name since decades due to weird corporate laws. R.I.P., Bill.

To my experience there are differences in woods and pickups which might reverse the expected tonal characteristics. The braided-wired pair of '57s sounds radically different in my Class 5 LP with '60s neck, 17-hole weight relief, ABR-1 bridge and lightweight aluminum tailpiece, compared to all the other '57s. It is of a distinctive, round depth, while in the massive Traditional 2013 with late '50s neck and in my SG Supra their sound is very bright. Due to the lower wiring capacitance, they also sound significantly clearer in my Epiphone LP Tribute Plus and the FZ "Roxy" SGs.

The BB1/BB2 modern weight relieved '60s neck LP is somewhere between the Class 5's and the Traditional's '57s sound, and a bit brighter than the BB Pro LP with same body/neck configuration.

The 490R/498T combo in my L6S guitars is just great. Their tone is very even and quite balanced in these, including fretboard, all-maple constructions. They come closest to the '57/'57 Plus Epi LP tone.

All the tones were evaluated via pure and unEQ'd HiFi amplification which is my favorite practicing setup, four real tube amps through four real speaker cabinets, and the eight favoured amp emulations of mine, using the four speaker emulations I like most. The guitar's load always was a silent guitar cable with a graphite-plastic coated core insulation and a capacitance of circa 640 pF - these high-quality cords come for EUR 6 each from Thomann -, followed by a 1 MOhms input. The strings were Optima Electric Chrome Roundwound .010" - .046" on vibrato-equipped guitars and .011" - .050" on hardtails. These are very clear and bright sounding strings with high magnetic susceptibility which makes for high output but also a bit more string pull from magnetics. There always is a tradeoff.

Since the 496R/498T are connected to an active Graph Tech Acousti-Phonic line driver circuit, they sound pretty much like EMGs, and I don't think it is useful to describe the 496R here since I think you are planning a passive use. The '57s in the SG Supra are loaded with a capacitor which is part of the Fishman Power Pot line driver circuit, so there is an effective cable capacitance simulation.

Changing pickups can be a minefield. All I can do is wish you luck and - Merry Xmas, mate!

Cheers,

capmaster

Thanks capmaster

I think you are right in regard to the pups relation to every thing else in one particular guitar

And as the my supreme if quite heavily chamberd I believe this to would have an affect

On the tone

So I quess its of to get anouther lp

Just have to convince the wife lol

Quess I could sell acouple of the strats I have knocking around lol

Id love to try one of the new /old standards 2012-13

I put some P-94's in a Traditional.......damn good for blues imo.

i was so close to doing that, but wound up going with seymour duncan pearlygates. i love how they sound, but i sometimes think i should have gone with the p94's just have something a little different.

I've got a GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD PREMIUM PLUS TOP (BIRDS EYE) which I bought in OCTOBER 2013, and I'm in love with it. I own like 8 different guitars including ibanez (prestige) , fender Strats, PRS (torero), Epiphone LP, Gibson SG, etc snd amongst all of them this guitar feels the best to me. It just has one of that feel very posh and smooth and warm. The burstbucker pro pickups it came with were pretty good but not that Articulate. I decided to swap them. SO I came across these custom pickups called BareKnuckle Pickups amongst which I liked Rebel Yells and Nailbombs. Now Rebel yells are warm yet bright and best for blues and classic rock stuff so I placed one in the neck. Nailbombs are a bit more aggressive but still retain that warmth you want in your bridge pickup. Honestly speaking best combination on a LES PAUL. I've tried various pickup combos on my Ibanez, SG and Epiphone LP but these just blew me away. Best part I was able to connect them with the original gibson circuitry, so I retained all those push/pull, phase and boost switch features that come with the standard LP. So definitely recommend it

I've got a GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD PREMIUM PLUS TOP (BIRDS EYE) which I bought in OCTOBER 2013, and I'm in love with it. I own like 8 different guitars including ibanez (prestige) , fender Strats, PRS (torero), Epiphone LP, Gibson SG, etc snd amongst all of them this guitar feels the best to me. It just has one of that feel very posh and smooth and warm. The burstbucker pro pickups it came with were pretty good but not that Articulate. I decided to swap them. SO I came across these custom pickups called BareKnuckle Pickups amongst which I liked Rebel Yells and Nailbombs. Now Rebel yells are warm yet bright and best for blues and classic rock stuff so I placed one in the neck. Nailbombs are a bit more aggressive but still retain that warmth you want in your bridge pickup. Honestly speaking best combination on a LES PAUL. I've tried various pickup combos on my Ibanez, SG and Epiphone LP but these just blew me away. Best part I was able to connect them with the original gibson circuitry, so I retained all those push/pull, phase and boost switch features that come with the standard LP. So definitely recommend it

Thanks man I have heard alot of good things about the bareknuckle pups

Are they worth the price cos I know they quite expensive

I'm drooling for one of the new les pauls how's the neck feel haven't had a chance to play one yet happy holidays

• 1 month later...

Archived