Gibson Brands Forums

What amount of income reaches the rich status for you?

dem00n

Everyone (here) is "richer" than me! [flapper][biggrin]

But then "Rich," like so many things, is in the eye of the beholder,

and a matter of perspective, too. I know a lot of "Rich" folks, in

terms of money and possessions, that are totally bankrupt, morally and

spiritually. So, monetary levels, don't always indicate "rich," to me.

CB

Very true Charlie.

It's a meaningless question because there is no answer that fits everyone.

I've always considered myself rich....rich in friends, rich in family, rich in occupation, I've

led a life most would envy, and look forward to 'riding off into the sunset' in the not too distant future

without a single regret.

What else can anyone ask for?

I grew up dirt poor & have no education......

had to start working at 14 to help support my parents & myself

i'm 50 and still working hard

BUT

I have a good wife and several k-9 kids that all love me

I have some great friends and some nice "computer friends"

we live in a nice home that's not too far from paid off, in a nice subdivision

we both drive nice vehicles that we paid cash for, so there's no debt sans our mortgage

my retirement is growing nicely and we have money to buy the things we NEED and some things we WANT.

even though I know i'm not, I FEEL rich !!

there's sooo much more to life than just "income" !

I grew up dirt poor & have no education......

had to start working at 14 to help support my parents & myself

i'm 50 and still working hard

BUT

I have a good wife and several k-9 kids that all love me

I have some great friends and some nice "computer friends"

we live in a nice home that's not too far from paid off, in a nice subdivision

we both drive nice vehicles that we paid cash for, so there's no debt sans our mortgage

my retirement is growing nicely and we have money to buy the things we NEED and some things we WANT.

even though I know i'm not, I FEEL rich !!

there's sooo much more to life than just "income" !

Everyone should read Edwin Arlington Robinson's 'Richard Cory', (or listen to Simon & Garfunkle sing it, at a minimum).

I think the term "rich" is what makes this thread somewhat difficulty.

I love "rich" coffee, a single malt "Scotch" with a "rich Islay" taste. Etc.

A difficulty is that when it comes to money, "rich" in western European culture, whether religious, agnostic or "atheist," often tends to pick up the translation in the Bible's New Testament noting the difficulty of a rich man to achieve "heaven."

Functionally that's the Marxist schtick picked up from the religious culture.

The thing is, what is "rich" and what is "poor" in everyone's life?

In today's world most of us, even the least wealthy of us "European" folks, live better in many ways than the aristocracies 1,000 years ago.

"Rich" is in so many ways relative. My wife and I recall laughing at the "horrid" slave quarters shown on one television special; it was brick, had a good fireplace and windows. Compare that to the homes of our own ancestors (ever see a dugout soddie or imagine living in a dugout topped only by an upside-down wagon box when it's -30 with 3 little kids?), even of our parents at times, and that brick house was far, far better shelter by any criterion. OTOH, they were free and the slaves were not.

That's why I say it's relative. Significant amounts of money need not be either a requirement nor a bar to a rich life after a certain point in terms of the mind and spirit. Nor need significant possessions be either a definition or a requirement for a cold heart.

Would I like the ability to have more "stuff?" Of course, although I believe that any "stuff" is only as valuable as its usefulness to the self and others. Gimme a $billion and I can think of lotz of things to do with it, and a gold-plated Porsche would not at all be one of 'em. My priorities might be different from others', but given I ain't likely to be living comfortably by any measure in 15-20 years..........

m

In today's world most of us, even the least wealthy of us "European" folks, live better in many ways than the aristocracies 1,000 years ago.

m

Milo, Rich is relative.... if your relatives are rich, chances are you are too!

Years ago, when my son was almost a teenager, we sent to Arlington Cemetery and visited the "Custis Estate", (Gen. Robert E. Lee's home), and my son said, something like

"Man, he sure was rich!" and I said, you know he couldn't take a day trip to Pittsburgh, or go rent a movie to watch tonight" (of course no one has to "go" rent a movie anymore).

So you're right.... what is considered 'poor' these days.....people have color TV's, iPhones, at least one vehicle, none of which were available for most of mankind.

Easier said, the poorest person in the US or Europe live better than most of the world's people.

Rich is very subjective and I have been on both side of it at several different times in my life. As a young man I was forced to leave home at 16 and lived in my old van and at friends houses while I finished school so rich at that time meant having food and somewhere to shower. In our careers both my wife and I were very successful and made money at a level that anyone would consider to be wealthy, and were spoiled by the wealth we felt bad when we had to fly commercial and had a car we bought specifically to leave at the airport since we both travelled so often and didn't want to leave our primary cars there so we bought a new car to leave at the airport (stupid). We also worked 16 plus hour days usually six if not seven days a week. We had houses and cars all over the country and honestly while it was fun sometimes it was still a rather hard life with the hours we worked. Then we made a tough decision that most people could not understand and retired at 50 years of age. We gave up being very "rich" to be happy and it was the best decision we ever made. Easy to say because we still are wealthy compared to most and even now our income in over 100k but it's less than 15% of what is was at one time. We still have a small home in town and a cabin both in the 1600 foot range after selling our very large homes and we are happier than ever, so as many have said rich is hard to define and shouldn't be your goal. Happy should be your goal.

I'm not saying working hard and accumulating wealth is bad. Hell I don't even agree with the old saying that money can't buy happiness, it can unless your unhappy anyway. But Steve Jobs proved to everyone money can't by you a longer life no matter how much you have so live your life whatever you want your life to be and live it with someone you love and your blessed

I think the motivation for dem00n's asking the question was to gauge board members' level of income and idea of what being affluent means.

I was just curious, since it is such a subjective topic.

Thought it be interesting from a Gibson forum because majority of Gibson's are $1000+.

Good topic and like Retro S. I will happily cut income to have time to "smell the roses" and enjoy my life more. Working hard to get to the point where we can retire in a couple years (or less) and have what we need, and some things that we just would like. I've been collecting things that I want for about 10 yrs. investing in quality items to use when I get the elusive "time" to do the things I want. Build things, play guitars, ride my bikes and spend LOTS & LOTS of time with my friends & family.

I believe that I'm rich right now. I have enough food, a good enough home, great toys, family & friends, and still alive & kicking. Anymore, for me anyway, THAT'S RICH!! [thumbup]

But if we're just talk'n $$. I'd say 1-2 Million would let me live very comfortably. Well not after many of the inheritances of Washington DC took what the belive belongs to them to distribute.

Last Monday I woke up in a warm bed, ate a warm meal, drank warm coffee, took a warm shower, got dressed and left my home that I own, drove to work in my 2003 Tundra that I own. It was 19 degrees F when I parked in front of my office, I saw a stranger sitting on a bench in front of the building, huddled up not moving, I walked by him and saw he was shaking uncontrollably as he slept, I asked if he was OK, he woke and looked at me for a bit then said "I'm OK, just drank too much last night and fell asleep here, I'm waiting for a friend". I went into my office and asked if anyone knew the man outside, nobody even knew he was there, it was 11:30am when I arrived, so he had been outside for many hours. I found some hot coffee and brought it to him, he thanked me, I noticed blood stains on the knee of his Levi's, he saw my gaze and said " I was pretty drunk last night, I feel and hurt my knee." I sat next to him and asked if he would like to come in and warm up? "Nope, I'll be ok", I placed my hand on his shoulder and told him I just want to be sure he is ok, he was shaking badly. I went inside, but checked on him several times, within a few minutes he was falling asleep again, I knew he was in trouble, I called 911 and requested a EMT, when they arrived I went outside and guided them to the man, I told him I was worried he was suffering hypothermia. The EMTs checked him out, looked at his knee and cleaned his wound, gave him a thermal blanket, I offered to drive him to the mission shelter. "No thank you" he replied "I will go down to the park, thank you sir". I went back into my office and wondered how could this happen? This man could have died on our bench, and 200 employees walked by him and never noticed him... After a while he walked away, he looked through the window,, for a second he stopped and looked, right at me, even though I knew he couldn't see through the reflective glass, Much the same way a child looks through the window of a bakery or a toy shop knowing he can't enter. I felt ashamed for what I take for granted everyday. How do I define wealth? With much humility.

Rich for me = $750k/yr and that is just cutting it living in NJ. I am not sure how anyone can survive in this state at <$150k/yr for a family of 4

and yet the average income in NJ is 70k per year so a whole lot of people make it for 1/10 of what you think is rich and less than 1/2 what you feel is needed to survive. that's why people are suffering so much in so many places.

Last Monday I woke up in a warm bed, ate a warm meal, drank warm coffee, took a warm shower, got dressed and left my home that I own, drove to work in my 2003 Tundra that I own. It was 19 degrees F when I parked in front of my office, I saw a stranger sitting on a bench in front of the building, huddled up not moving, I walked by him and saw he was shaking uncontrollably as he slept, I asked if he was OK, he woke and looked at me for a bit then said "I'm OK, just drank too much last night and fell asleep here, I'm waiting for a friend". I went into my office and asked if anyone knew the man outside, nobody even knew he was there, it was 11:30am when I arrived, so he had been outside for many hours. I found some hot coffee and brought it to him, he thanked me, I noticed blood stains on the knee of his Levi's, he saw my gaze and said " I was pretty drunk last night, I feel and hurt my knee." I sat next to him and asked if he would like to come in and warm up? "Nope, I'll be ok", I placed my hand on his shoulder and told him I just want to be sure he is ok, he was shaking badly. I went inside, but checked on him several times, within a few minutes he was falling asleep again, I knew he was in trouble, I called 911 and requested a EMT, when they arrived I went outside and guided them to the man, I told him I was worried he was suffering hypothermia. The EMTs checked him out, looked at his knee and cleaned his wound, gave him a thermal blanket, I offered to drive him to the mission shelter. "No thank you" he replied "I will go down to the park, thank you sir". I went back into my office and wondered how could this happen? This man could have died on our bench, and 200 employees walked by him and never noticed him... After a while he walked away, he looked through the window,, for a second he stopped and looked, right at me, even though I knew he couldn't see through the reflective glass, Much the same way a child looks through the window of a bakery or a toy shop knowing he can't enter. I felt ashamed for what I take for granted everyday. How do I define wealth? With much humility.

that experience would humble anybody with a heart......you did your best !!

in the 50s and early 60s my Grandpa was a volunteer outreach missionary in downtown Chicago....he'd not give money for them to buy alcohol with, but he'd take anybody in need for a hot meal, decent conversation, and offer a ride to whatever mission had room at the time, in the worst of winter ( when the missions were full ) he'd take as many as he could HOME with him, so they could have a nights sleep without worrying about freezing to death......he did this for many years and was never robbed or assaulted, and nothing ever went missing from his home.

I wish I were 1/10th the man my Grandpa was........

We live within our means and we're able to pay the bills on time, therefore I consider us to be rich. It's all relative. That same scenario would work regardless if the 1040 said $100K or $500K.

In 1983 I hitch-hiked to town because macaroni and cheese was on sale, 4/$1.00. There was a box of powdered milk in the cupboard, not sure if I had any butter.

Barely surviving plays on a person's mind. Those days are behind me but I will never forget the feeling of despair and helplessness.

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a Cadillac big enough to drive right up beside it.

I felt ashamed for what I take for granted everyday. How do I define wealth? With much humility.

We are never too good to attempt to help someone out! Thanks for making that poor soul's day just a little better. Even if it is by his actions, I won't pretend to know what that persons gone thru to get to that place. A hand up is always the right thing and I'm proud to read of your efforts Jaxson!!! [thumbup] Very humbling story and one of way too many.

Thanks again for caring for that fellow!!

Aster

When I was going to school for my Bachelor's Degree in Mental Health, there was a homeless man who slept on the steam grate in front of my school. Despite not having much money myself, during the winter I always bought the biggest cup of coffee I could and two hot breakfast sandwiches for him and in the summer I bought him a one gallon bottle of water and either a fruit salad or a cold sandwich (I would let him choose). I even went to the local Goodwill and got him the warmest coat I could find, a warm blanket and a small duffel to carry his things in. My school had a shelter program that I offered to bring him to, but he suffered so badly from Paranoid Schizophrenia that he could barely communicate. Sometimes, he had a friend there who helped me and my classmates talk to him and told us about his fear of shelters because he was beaten badly in one shelter and robbed of the little bit that he had.

I used to have to take the train to and from school and I would help anyone I could. I never gave money, but I would buy food or beverage or train token (if I was asked for money for the train. Also, when I was teaching, I had a homeless student who used to come to school everyday in a coat that was five sizes to big for her, filthy clothes and undergarments that were stained with urine (She was three and I was potty training her)and had holes in them. I had just started this job and was getting paid less than $18,000 a year in salary, but my heart broke for this girl so I went to the mall after work one day and bought her a new coat that would fit her properly, a week's worth of clothes and two five packs of underwear. The following week, I did the same for her brother. It was all stuff from the clearance rack which was how I pulled it off. The look in her mother's eyes was all I needed to know I did the right thing. Her mother told me how they were living in a domestic violence shelter and how she couldn't afford clothes for her kids and that she promised to pay me back. I told her that the best way she could do that is to help someone else when she was on her feet. I just wanted her to keep the kindness going.

I never had a lot of money growing up, but my parents and Grandmom taught us to share with those who had less than us. I am still like that and my husband is the same way. Even if we only have $5 left to our names, if someone needs help, we help. Being visually impaired, I know what it feels like to be treated like I am invisible and can't imagine treating someone who is homeless that way.

We know we are fortunate to have what we have - even if it isn't much. We live in NJ and we struggle to keep our home because of the ridiculous Property Taxes (they are about $6200 a year!), but my husband has a job and provides for us to the very best of his ability. It would be nice to have extra money, but we don't so we are grateful for what we have!

Archived