Gibson Brands Forums

TRAYNOR AMPS

Karloff

Eyeing a used Traynor 1x12 combo at local music store. YCS50 model. 50 watt, switchable to 15 watts, Vintage 30 Celestion... any thoughts out there ?

A friend of mine had one of those. Great sounding amp. Very versatile. And two traits of every Traynor I've ever used; Loud and Heavy.

-Ryan

A friend of mine had one of those. Great sounding amp. Very versatile. And two traits of every Traynor I've ever used; Loud and Heavy.

-Ryan

yea, sometimes i think we pay for amps by the pound. I like the option of being able to switch it to 15 watts.

We used them for our gigs a very long time ago. I never had one for my guitar though. The one thing that was interesting about them was they used a light bulb for as a fuse. One night my buddy said that our speakers were lighting up every time the drummer hit the snare. We thought he was nuts but it turned out to be true. We got bigger ones to handle the load and they served us well for over 10 years. I still have them, but alas they are just collecting dust now.

Another 70's user, they were kind of a fad Not A Fender Or Marshall thing for a while. It was good, heavy, same as a Fender basically, so why not just use what you can get fixed or replaced anywhere back then? I had it about a year, traded it for a Peavey Classic I think.

I don't know how close the current ones are to the old ones, but if so, should be a fair deal.

rct

I have a couple..(not combos) for the money they are great amps..can't go wrong..

7zto.jpg

thanks for the replys.

the combo i'm looking at, new they're going for $950, they said they'd let me have this one for $350. it's in perfect condition. selling a few pieces of old gear to finance the purchase.

Bloody hell!...you can't let an offer like that pass if everything is 'hunky dory'.....these are great amps...on a par with even the best marshalls I've used.

yep, I agree. going this morning as soon as they open to put some money down on it. Belonged to a local Doctor. the guy buys gear , uses it for awhile then trades it in for something else. never even been gigged with... looking forward to snagging it.

Glad you got it. Trainers are great amps. I have one of their 40 watt YCV40WR. Mine was owned by an amp tech who modified it, he took out a Celestion 30 and put in a Celestion 100 for more clean headroom. It is heavy, but very good quality in my opinion. Enjoy it!

thanks . me too ! been playing it for couple hrs now. love it. great amp. stumbled upon a great deal. i appreciate all the input from everyone too.

I had an old battleship gray Traynor 2x12 combo (solid state) that was like an industrial beast of an amp.

I can hardly even find pictures online of them, basically looked like this but was a 2x12 combo. Took pedals well.

25519077_614.jpg

I also had two 4x10 Traynor cabs (battleship gray tolex) that I used under an Ampeg V4 head driven by an old Ibanez Sonic Distortion pedal. I miss that V4.

I have the 40 watt Wine Red combo that sounds great and has the Vintage 30, it think it cost me about $375 CDN so you got a fair deal. I recently picked up late 60's YBA-1 (Traynor's Version of the Bassman) and it's a great amp, loud and full, jumpable as it has 4 inputs, huge transformers. It goes through a slant cab with G-175's or whatever the celestions are, it's essentially the same cabinet as the 1960A except it seems to have thicker box. These old Traynor's are louddddddddd, but provide a good vintage tone, also being Canadian and buying Canadian feels right. They're all built here in Canada, at the Yorkville Sound plant in suburb of Toronto. They're supposed to have a great shop there and good quality instruments, and they're also the Canadian Distributor for Gibson's so it kind comes full circle.

Anyways, enjoy the amp!

I have the 40 watt Wine Red combo that sounds great and has the Vintage 30, it think it cost me about $375 CDN so you got a fair deal. I recently picked up late 60's YBA-1 (Traynor's Version of the Bassman) and it's a great amp, loud and full, jumpable as it has 4 inputs, huge transformers. It goes through a slant cab with G-175's or whatever the celestions are, it's essentially the same cabinet as the 1960A except it seems to have thicker box. These old Traynor's are louddddddddd, but provide a good vintage tone, also being Canadian and buying Canadian feels right. They're all built here in Canada, at the Yorkville Sound plant in suburb of Toronto. They're supposed to have a great shop there and good quality instruments, and they're also the Canadian Distributor for Gibson's so it kind comes full circle.

Anyways, enjoy the amp!

I'm really loving it. i have a Marshall and a Orange, and i put this Traynor right up there with them both with sound and quality. i've known about Traynor forever but had never played one. love this amp...

Archived