Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting audio test - Human Audio Spectrum

Riffster

This is cool,

I was just checking my right ear in which I developed Tinnitus 2 years ago after an infection and sure enough just as my doctor told after tests I lost the ability to hear above the 8kHz frequency on my right ear, my left ear still has full range.

Obviously there are a few things to keep in mind:

- You will not hear a sound if your speakers cannot reproduce the frequency.

- If your speakers can reproduce the frequency you may not able to hear, in my case I can hear high frequencies with one ear.

- Ambiance noise matters, when my ears were tested it was in an isolation booth, my tinnitus is so bad, thank God for ambiance noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

I get my hearing tested every 6 months due to complications from birth that nearly deafened me. My hearing has been flawless for the past 15 years or so, and just recently they detected a very slight dip in the 3khz range. Below and above that, I'm fine.

-Ryan

It disappeared for me around 12200 but then strangely I heard it again after a few hundred Hz had passed and it lasted right to the end

It goes out around 11,000 for me, but it depends on the volume; to hear it at 11K I have to crank the volume to levels that would be painful at a lower frequency. Also, it came back for me with cheap headphones but not with the studio headphones, so I suspect what you're hearing at the really high Hz is harmonics and not the actual tone.

I got some nice Sennheiser headphones and at about 24hz it starts to sound like there's a truck outside, and at about 14600hz the noise fades away. pretty cool [thumbup]

Similiar result with my Shure headphones but at about 13800hz they cut off.

I get my hearing tested every 6 months due to complications from birth that nearly deafened me. My hearing has been flawless for the past 15 years or so, and just recently they detected a very slight dip in the 3khz range. Below and above that, I'm fine.

-Ryan

good.

im lucky, i have a slight dip in my hearing in my left ear. considering i've worked in factory environments most of my life, wind noise from motorcycles, and gigging for decades, my hearing is surprisingly well.

I got some nice Sennheiser headphones and at about 24hz it starts to sound like there's a truck outside, and at about 14600hz the noise fades away. pretty cool [thumbup]

Got this same result through my Audio Technicas as well. I noticed after about 8k the sound seemed to move around in the stereo spectrum. I'm guessing these are little spots in my own hearing that are dropping out from ear to ear.

Guest Farnsbarns

I know from past experience that I can hear well, well, well above 20000hz but I did learn something interesting. My phone speaker starts responding at about 35hz and goes well up above 18000. I certainly wouldn't call it flat, the drop off starts from about 12000 and you need it pressed against your ear up to about 100. Even though, it surprised me.

Archived