Gibson Brands Forums

anybody change from grovers to waverlys?

larryp58

My 2001 SongBird has developed some "play" or "catches" in a couple of the tuners. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and dropping the cash for a set of butterbean nickel waverlys. From Stew-Mac, they recommend the bushings to accommodate the waverlys (since replacing grovers). Anybody here changed them out before, and what are ya'll's thoughts?

My 2001 SongBird has developed some "play" or "catches" in a couple of the tuners. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and dropping the cash for a set of butterbean nickel waverlys. From Stew-Mac, they recommend the bushings to accommodate the waverlys (since replacing grovers). Anybody here changed them out before, and what are ya'll's thoughts?

Are your current tuners "rotomatics"? Just switched out my 2002 L-130 , but went with Gotoh 18:1 since they were a perfect swap-out.

I've gone from the Rotomatics to the Waverly tuners. They fit without having to widen any holes, but the Roto's have one screw per tuner, the Waverly open back individual tuners have two, so I made a small pilot hole for the second small phillips head screw (marking correct drill depth with tape on the drill bit). Any aesthetic improvement aside, it's worth doing just for the comedic value of realizing the weight difference when you put the old Roto hardware (I didn't use the round bushings under the hexagonal nuts) into a plastic sandwich bag, and heft it a bit.

ScreenShot2013-12-22at21448AM_zpsb8f18039.png

I put ivoroid Waverlys in my J-45, and like them a lot. Two things to be careful with: predrilling the extra screw hole as mentioned, and fitting the bushings. The bushings are not threaded like the Grovers. They press-fit. You may have to enlarge the hole ever so slightly. Force them and you can crack the headstock. Make the hole too big and the bushings won't stay put. Contact Stew-Mac tech support. They walked me through with good tips. I might have let the tech guy I use do it, but he is two hours' drive away.

Archived