Gibson Brands Forums

What would you like to see Gibson make?

SteveFord

I'd settle for an SG just like the SGJ14 model but with P90 pickups.

I don't need a guitar but an SGJ with P90s and I'd be spending the $500 with no problem.

+1 [thumbup]

I was actually thinking of getting a SGJ ("Chocolate") and changing the pickups to P-94's! [biggrin]

But, I'm done, buying guitars, for awhile. I went a bit "Whacko" this year! [blush][biggrin]

CB

+1 [thumbup]

I was actually thinking of getting a SGJ ("Chocolate") and changing the pickups to P-94's! [biggrin]

But, I'm done, buying guitars, for awhile. I went a bit "Whacko" this year! [blush][biggrin]

CB

Yea, I mean that model is so tempting as it is but a P90 model would be impossible to resist for me. I would not even try to justify the purchase, the justification would be the P90s.

+1 [thumbup]

CB

Actually, the acquisition of a Kirk Douglas SG is henceforth exempt from the following term whether written, spoken or thought; "went a bit whacko"

That guitar is a necessity.

+1 [thumbup]

CB

You're getting out of control!! [thumbup]

Amps would be cool! The Gibson moniker would have lots of value in the amp market. Gibson has a great history in amps. Bring 'em on!

I'd like to see more accurate Reissues, ones that would be worthy of the coveted R-(insert drooly year of choice). I'd like to see the pickups be actually close to accurate, the 57 classics and then the dizzying array of burstwhatevers have all been paltry imitations of their own PAFs. I'd like not just recreations, I'd like the actual capacitors removed from as many classic bursts from late 1958 to March of 1960 as they can get. I would also like to see the actual binding from those guitars as well. And finally, more tastefully tasteful bursts, I would like to see at least one hundred more bursts actually accurately representative of the actual bursts worthy of the coveted R-(insert drooly year of choice) designation, using the same cans of paint as the coveted originals from whence the coveted R-(insert drooly year of choice) sprang.

I think it is time they actually accurately Accurately Reissued the Reissues instead of continuing to make the same dreck that people continue to buy.

Remember Gibson, you can't be too accurate.

rct

I'd kinda like to see an updated CF100e with a piezo 'stedda the mag pup - for about the price tag of a J35. It'd be similar to the Epi PR5e that's a really nice little guitar. Or - build the PR5e as an all-wood stedda all laminate. Either would be quite nice for me. In both cases with a 24 3/4 or just 24" scale.

Or... an under $2,000 cutaway archtop electric roughly the same size as an ES175 ... or I may end up for the heck of it trying an Epi Joe Pass.

Dunno why these sound like good ideas 'cuz I' have some nice-playing guitars. I'm old, but GAS reigns supreme.

m

I enjoy playing guitar and mandolin. I'd obtain a 3 neck 6,12, 4 string mando electric triple neck...Les Paul style weight relieved, tone chambers, built in sympathetic chorus effect. Epiphone custom shop. [thumbup] custom case.

That's what I'd get if it was available.

out of the question ? [unsure][confused]

I'd kinda like to see an updated CF100e with a piezo 'stedda the mag pup - for about the price tag of a J35. It'd be similar to the Epi PR5e that's a really nice little guitar. Or - build the PR5e as an all-wood stedda all laminate. Either would be quite nice for me. In both cases with a 24 3/4 or just 24" scale.

Or... an under $2,000 cutaway archtop electric roughly the same size as an ES175 ... or I may end up for the heck of it trying an Epi Joe Pass.

Dunno why these sound like good ideas 'cuz I' have some nice-playing guitars. I'm old, but GAS reigns supreme.

m

Milo, your posts are always interesting. I like your ideas. [thumbup]

Too old to play...never [smile]

Guitars.

Things worth being passed on to the next generation.

Not pieces of wood, metal and plastic that depreciate by half the second you walk out the door.

The guitars of the 50's and 60's aren't just coveted because they were owned by famous artists.

It was a different company. A company that took pride in it's product. That didn't cut corners or charge extra just because they could. The Les Paul, the SG, the ES series, the Explorer, the Flying V, the Firebird, and a couple budget-priced but still pridefully crafted instruments, many of them superior to today's instruments of much greater cost.

Manufacturing methods have improved. Quality control is capable of being more consistent. We've seen it in the "boutique" companies. PRS and Suhr, as examples. Both quality guitar brands, charging more but you get what you pay for.

The problem isn't technology, and it isn't the fact that materials today are inferior. It's because Gibson isn't Gibson anymore. It's a corporation run by greedy people who are leeching off the reputation that Gibson built for itself since 1902.

Do I like Gibson guitars? Yes, some of the ones made before 1969 (Note I say "some". Not all pre-Norlin Gibsons are made equal). When they were just guitars, not "reissues", "inspired by" or "reproductions". When putting the letter R and a "drool inducing number" in the name didn't jack up the price.

Do I think people are stupid for buying new Gibsons? Not at all. If a guitar works for you, plays right, sounds right, and you can afford it, all the power to you. Whether it's a Chinese Squier or a pricey Gibson that's your holy grail, it's just a tool to do a job.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, and if I did, I apologize. Just ranting because I got in the mood.

/End Rant

-Ryan

The problem isn't technology, and it isn't the fact that materials today are inferior. It's because Gibson isn't Gibson anymore. It's a corporation run by greedy people who are leeching off the reputation that Gibson built for itself since 1902.

The only thing I will say about all this is while I hear what you are saying, without those corporate people Gibson may have shut down, like in the 80s..

As much as I agree that id like to see the love again (without paying 3k plus), I don't think the quality is that bad.. maybe not what we want but they have had worse periods like I believe in the mid to late 90s (and the less said about the 70s the better :P :))

Archived