Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys think of this Gibson?

Achezallover

Hi everyone,

Although not an avid guitar player, and by no means a connoisseur, I do have a soft spot for Gibson Les Paul's, and I saw this one for $561, that seemed odd on a number of counts.

http://www.custojusto.pt/Setubal/Instrumentos/Les+Paul+Custom+headstock+Gibson+antiga-8538046.htm?xtcr=35&

Serial number, from what I gathered at one of those databases, points to a seventies guitar, 70/71/72. The headstock looks funky to me, front is black, back is green, neck is grey. Bit of a train wreck, no? Isn't that neck backplate also unusual? Don't remember ever seeing one in Gibsons.

Any thoughts about it?

Hi everyone,

Although not an avid guitar player, and by no means a connoisseur, I do have a soft spot for Gibson Les Paul's, and I saw this one for $561, that seemed odd on a number of counts.

http://www.custojusto.pt/Setubal/Instrumentos/Les+Paul+Custom+headstock+Gibson+antiga-8538046.htm?xtcr=35&

Serial number, from what I gathered at one of those databases, points to a seventies guitar, 70/71/72. The headstock looks funky to me, front is black, back is green, neck is grey. Bit of a train wreck, no? Isn't that neck backplate also unusual? Don't remember ever seeing one in Gibsons.

Any thoughts about it?

I'm pretty sure that's a fake. I can't ever remember a time Gibson used bolt on necks and that head shape looks wrong to me... I'm sure there are people on here way more knowledgeable than me :)

EDIT:: It also doesn't have any model name on it which is weird and the crown on the headstock looks off...

I am sure this guitar is a fake. I got to know several Marauder, S-1 and Invader guitars around 1980. To my knowledge, Gibson never made guitars with a bolt-on neck with inlays on the headstock, like the brandname and holly which are poorly done here. Bolt-on neck Gibsons have either gold or silver silkscreened scripts on black finish, or black scripts on translucent finish.

Archived