Gibson Brands Forums

Now I've offended someone at the UMGF

jackcooper

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive never ventured there and have no intention, but from what I hear its even more conservetive and snootty than the AGF.

And I think you have to have a minimum ago of 70 before you can join, which pretty much leaves the door closed for me for another 30 odd years ..

Who was it said, "Paranoia strikes deep. Into your mind it will creep."? There's a lot of hypersensitivity these days. Perhaps the moderator was having a particular kind of day. Since we here are all guitar geeks, it's still a great question, and worded pretty funny too! Oh well.

I have never known the folks over at UMGF to be snooty or anything but helpful. The amount of knowledge over there about old guitars is amazing.

I'd have to agree. The knowledge of Martins in that place borders encyclopedic.

Of course I've never made a post with an intentionally stupid (And lazy. Man...put some effort into it.) play on words that might get removed, but hey...that's just me.

You're actually surprised an intentionally homophobic post title got removed?

Really?

"are you straight or scalloped" And you are shocked and offended it got yanked? eusa_think.gif

The one complaint about this forum is y'all turn into a bunch of old yentas as soon as something comes up you might not like on the AGF or Martin forum.

Seriously. If you don't like it there, just don't go there.

Yeah, I really am genuinely surprised this thread title got yanked ... It never ceases to amaze me how little sense of humour Americans often have.

(Gibson forum members excepted !)

Of course I've never made a post with an intentionally stupid (And lazy. Man...put some effort into it.) play on words that might get removed, but hey...that's just me.

Really?

"are you straight or scalloped" And you are shocked and offended it got yanked? eusa_think.gif

The one complaint about this forum is y'all turn into a bunch of old yentas as soon as something comes up you might not like on the AGF or Martin forum.

Really?

It's not only the knowledge of martins any guitar. Some pretty helpful folk. But as said it's pretty tight knit too.

Maybe repost and see what happens

The removal Jack's harmless thread title seems pretty snooty attitude to me Zomby.

Since I did not read the "offending" post any speculation on my part would be a rush to judgment regarding "snootiness" or lack thereof. Can only speak to my what is granted limited experience with UMGF.

Yeah, I really am genuinely surprised this thread title got yanked ... It never ceases to amaze me how little sense of humour Americans often have.

(Gibson forum members excepted !)

But you know going in the general tenor of that forum.

Knowing in advance, and still choosing to post something like that, there should be no surprise it gets pulled is what I was getting at.

I got the general feeling it was posted there so if it did get deleted, there would be something to talk about here.

(See? I intelligently worked in 'yanked' and 'pulled' to a thread involving a potentially homophobic title. THAT'S how it's done.)

Try reposting with a different title and see what happens.

Regarding your question in The Martin Forum: I think we live in a very sensitive world today. Bar owners, coffeehouse owners, forum owners, etc. are very leery of having something done on their property that offends someone and perhaps makes them legally responsible. They want to avoid controversy, because some folks make a mountain out of a molehill. Just my opinion. Doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong.

I really thought it was a clever bit of copywriting actually, which was directly related to subject matter, with a twist of humour ... which is obviously lacking on that forum.

But you know going in the general tenor of that forum.

Knowing in advance, and still choosing to post something like that, there should be no surprise it gets pulled is what I was getting at.

I got the general feeling it was posted there so if it did get deleted, there would be something to talk about here.

(See? I intelligently worked in 'yanked' and 'pulled' to a thread involving a potentially homophobic title. THAT'S how it's done.)

Try reposting with a different title and see what happens.

Regarding your question in The Martin Forum: I think we live in a very sensitive world today. Bar owners, coffeehouse owners, forum owners, etc. are very leery of having something done on their property that offends someone and perhaps makes them legally responsible. They want to avoid controversy, because some folks make a mountain out of a molehill. Just my opinion. Doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong.

Oh I totally agree about a mountain out of a molehill, but the UMGF is not my molehill and unfortunately you have to play by their rules if you want to partake there.

Now I've offended someone at the UMGF.

Being a big fan of straight braced Martins and wanting to see what the demographic was I asked the question "are you straight or scalloped" and it gets removed. I think I better stay indoors this Christmas.

LOL! Hilarious....I wonder which mod made the call? In this day and age that should be a non issue "faux pas"!

I'm surprised they pulled it. The title was a little provocative but I rather doubt my gay friends would object to it. Chalk it up to moderator over-reaction. Usually it is a very civilized and informative place. The Guitar Critics Corner over there is sometimes a better place to get hard info on Gibson guitars modern and vintage than this forum.

Who was it said, "Paranoia strikes deep. Into your mind it will creep."?

It was S. Stills, , , , - yeah had to answer that one according to my script ,-)

Apart from that, it can be a bit dangerous to write on international forums when English isn't your first language.

You have to be willing the play the village fool once in a while and I been aware of that since the start.

I'm also aware of using the word 'straight' now and again, , , but always as a synonym for 'normal' or 'ordinary' fx regarding looks or sounds.

Or how about recently when I called a sonic flavor 'creamy' and Parlourman took the p..s out of me because he always thinks about p. . . y (you are forgiven PM). . .

There's a bit of blind-flying in that language gab - a slight risk of hitting the ditch, let's all remember.

I'm glad to have Nick to mail behind curtain, should something go completely haywire (hasn't happened yet, but I have asked a Q or 2).

In fact it can concern certain topics too as we Europeans can't know your relative collective cultural nerve-issues overthere.

But yes, , , sometimes I am/we are bound to be the fool(s).

Talkin' bout fools, , , where's Wily, , , ? - gone Far East again. . .

Hilarious!

For me, the forum stuff started with UMGF in the early days - I was looking on the net for information about a Martin D15e I had just tried and came across the '15 series club'! And the first stirrings of guitar buying fever began....soon to be satisfied by a Martin 000-15.

I doubt they care about homophobic taunts on the UMGF, but they take their scallops VERY seriously!

BluesKing777.

Ive never ventured there and have no intention, but from what I hear its even more conservetive and snootty than the AGF.

And I think you have to have a minimum ago of 70 before you can join, which pretty much leaves the door closed for me for another 30 odd years ..

As well-reasoned a post as ever

Archived