Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jackcooper

Now I've offended someone at the UMGF

I did hear something,in the deep and distant that Gibson being a southern company is therefore republican and Martin a northern company and therefore democrat. Perhaps Stateside forums friends can advise me on this. Coming from the deep south of UK land I'm in the dark on this.

Ive never ventured there and have no intention, but from what I hear its even more conservetive and snootty than the AGF.

And I think you have to have a minimum ago of 70 before you can join, which pretty much leaves the door closed for me for another 30 odd years ..

Unfortunately, I've never found considered the UMGF administration to be remotely conservative nor very tolerant of anything conservative. I'd also suggest that 70-year-olds folks are more likely to be liberal because of the cultural El Nino in which they grew up.

That said, some very, very fine folks hang their hats at the UMGF, and it's a great place for Martin and general guitar related info.

Of course I've never made a post with an intentionally stupid (And lazy. Man...put some effort into it.) play on words that might get removed, but hey...that's just me.

You're actually surprised an intentionally homophobic post title got removed?

Really?

"are you straight or scalloped" And you are shocked and offended it got yanked? eusa_think.gif

The one complaint about this forum is y'all turn into a bunch of old yentas as soon as something comes up you might not like on the AGF or Martin forum.

Seriously. If you don't like it there, just don't go there.

An intentionally homophobic post title? :-k Even if I was referring to one's sexuality (which I wasn't), how would such a question be homophobic? If I said something like "I hate those scalloped freaks" then perhaps you'd have a point.

I no longer post on the UMGF. There is a total lack of tolerance to anything that remotely criticizes Martin which is weird considering the forum is not run by Martin. I used get the vibes of an uptight golf club house if I spent too long there. Yeah there are some knowledgeable people there, but whenever anyone has a problem with Martin this is what happens. 8592_Devil-rides-Out-1.JPG

Much ado over...

Actually, I've found folks there to be mighty knowledgeable and mighty respectful, nor lacking in humor. Also, they are far more receptive to Gibsons than some other locales not to be named. Some great appreciative threads on Os/J35s, L00s, J185s to name a few. Be merry, Rambler

I did hear something,in the deep and distant that Gibson being a southern company is therefore republican and Martin a northern company and therefore democrat. Perhaps Stateside forums friends can advise me on this. Coming from the deep south of UK land I'm in the dark on this.

I think we're red states and blue states now. (I'm not sure which is which because this all changed after I got rid of my television.)

FMA

An intentionally homophobic post title? :-k Even if I was referring to one's sexuality (which I wasn't), how would such a question be homophobic? If I said something like "I hate those scalloped freaks" then perhaps you'd have a point.

Stop it.

You knew what you were doing. Maybe homophobic was too strong a word - you were definitely putting a spin on the title.

Anyway, they let the post stand so I guess it negates the original feeling that it's 'snooty' over there.

Still.....it's the place to go for information on Martin's. LIke I wrote earlier. Encyclopedic.

Stop it.

You knew what you were doing. Maybe homophobic was too strong a word - you were definitely putting a spin on the title.

Anyway, they let the post stand so I guess it negates the original feeling that it's 'snooty' over there.

Still.....it's the place to go for information on Martin's. LIke I wrote earlier. Encyclopedic.

Stop what? Why do some people take sexual preference so seriously (apart from when it involves kids or animals). Is it really so different from bracing preference? In my experience the people that take it seriously are the people that tend to be offended by it. So what if there was a little bit of spin on the title? It wasn't in anyway derogatory to either persuasion. Anyway the post is still there so obviously no-one took offense. It would have been nice to have had a thread moved reply however. :-({|=

Much ado over...

Actually, I've found folks there to be mighty knowledgeable and mighty respectful, nor lacking in humor. Also, they are far more receptive to Gibsons than some other locales not to be named. Some great appreciative threads on Os/J35s, L00s, J185s to name a few. Be merry, Rambler

Very true. Quite a few posts for info about specific Gibbys...

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1688990/Gibson-Lg2-american-eagle#.UrmrExzTljo

I have been a member of the UMGF for many years. It is a very friendly place, with an absolutely extraordinary wealth of knowledge about Martins AND Gibsons, as well as guitars in general. Gibsons are held in very high regard at the UMGF. People like John Thomas and Willi Henkes frequently post there, and they love their Gibsons for sure, and have contributed enormously to the knowledge we have today about vintage Gibsons. Over the years the UMGF has been sort of a hub for the gathering and distribution of this knowledge. It is very unfortunate that this is not recognized here at the Gibson forum.

Lars

I have been a member of the UMGF for many years. It is a very friendly place, with an absolutely extraordinary wealth of knowledge about Martins AND Gibsons, as well as guitars in general. Gibsons are held in very high regard at the UMGF. People like John Thomas and Willi Henkes frequently post there, and they love their Gibsons for sure, and have contributed enormously to the knowledge we have today about vintage Gibsons. Over the years the UMGF has been sort of a hub for the gathering and distribution of this knowledge. It is very unfortunate that this is not recognized here at the Gibson forum.

Lars

I think anyone that uses/has used the UMGF knows of it's member's vast fountain of knowledge particularly when it comes to vintage guitars, but that doesn't change the way some with the fanboy mentality (including some of the mods) gang up against fellow members who dare to say anything critical about the Martin guitar company. I love Martin guitars, but not so fond of company line censorship on an "unofficial" forum. I know of many folk that no longer post there for the same reason (some of them are banned).

I no longer post on the UMGF. There is a total lack of tolerance to anything that remotely criticizes Martin which is weird considering the forum is not run by Martin. I used get the vibes of an uptight golf club house if I spent too long there. Yeah there are some knowledgeable people there, but whenever anyone has a problem with Martin this is what happens.

There's a lot more tolerence over here...

:-k

I was going to suggest you try this on the AGF but since you were an evil doer and got banned I might give it a go on your behalf. Will be curious how the mods react ... hope you dont mind Jack ?

Like any forum - including this one - there are people on UMGF who I don't engage with and am glad not to know in person but, as others have said, it's generally a nice place with a lot of incredibly knowledgeable people amongst the regulars.

I'm sure for a lot of us the internet would be a far more enjoyable place if people simply ignored negative, unpleasant posts by other people and refrained from making them themselves. Unfortunately there seem to be just as many out there for whom the opposite is true.

...which pretty much leaves the door closed for me for another 30 odd years ..

Which is a shame, I reckon they'd love "Chocolatey" and "red Wine". Do what I do, pretend to be older than you are….. :D

The one complaint about this forum is y'all turn into a bunch of old yentas as soon as something comes up you might not like on the AGF or Martin forum.

This is the first time I've ever been called a Yenta, I'm not even sure what it is… Should I slip into something more comfy before we continue?

It never ceases to amaze me how little sense of humour Americans often have.

This is going to be a tough sell on a US based forum, but I'm rooting for ye… :D

(See? I intelligently worked in 'yanked' and 'pulled' to a thread involving a potentially homophobic title. THAT'S how it's done.)

Gay people are not some sort of weak race that needs champions, they're perfectly capable adults who can well communicate what's offensive and what's not. A play on words is not hate-speak. I don't know a single gay person who would be offended by that at all. (the title, not the thread as I never read it).

I'm surprised they pulled it. The title was a little provocative but I rather doubt my gay friends would object to it.

Yep, I totally agree with Jerry here… I have spent (and continue to spend) a lot of time in the company of gay people, I have never met a single one as thin-skinned for harmless humour that this furore would suggest. It's just people man, why is anybody so hung-up about about who they like in life. Leave all the hate at the door, it gives ye wrinkles andy makes you look old. Have a great christmas and don't patronise a gay person this holiday :D

Yeah, the word from my conservative friends was that Gibson got raided for illegal wood because of it's conservative leanings and Martin and others were left alone. Sounds like BS to me but then I'm a blue dot in a radically red state. Personally I'd rather hear you guys sing and play rather than discuss relative gayness. How 'bout a song? Perhaps, I saw Papa kissing Santa Clause?

Yeah, the word from my conservative friends was that Gibson got raided for illegal wood because of it's conservative leanings and Martin and others were left alone. Sounds like BS to me but then I'm a blue dot in a radically red state. Personally I'd rather hear you guys sing and play rather than discuss relative gayness. How 'bout a song? Perhaps, I saw Papa kissing Santa Clause?

'BS' is right. Gibson acknowledged Lacey Act violations and agreed to pay a $300,000 fine. Were other maunfacturers found in violation, they would not have been spared.

The funny thing is nobody was offended at UMGF, the mods just (appropriately) moved the thread to a different area of the board. Meanwhile this board got all lathered up about political correctness and is now working its way up to offending somebody!

Peace on earth, goodwill to men.

The funny thing is nobody was offended at UMGF, the mods just (appropriately) moved the thread to a different area of the board. Meanwhile this board got all lathered up about political correctness and is now working its way up to offending somebody!

Peace on earth, goodwill to men.

I'm offended by this post. [angry]