Gibson Brands Forums

Now I've offended someone at the UMGF

jackcooper

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George Carlin was wickedly funny, and had the uncanny knack of making you laugh just before he made you really uncomfortable for having laughed.

Great way of putting it. Sometimes I get the feeling you and I are related. Carlin was a heck of a mirror - "We have met the enemy. . . and he is us"

Ive never ventured there and have no intention, but from what I hear its even more conservetive and snootty than the AGF.

And I think you have to have a minimum ago of 70 before you can join, which pretty much leaves the door closed for me for another 30 odd years ..

nothing personal but wow they don't act like this. very good place to learn about martins and every1 is pretty good. but I don't ever see thi9s kind of attitude. [scared]

It's just age and sensibility, ZW, just age and sensibility.

But I repeat myself.......

Nah, it is once you hit a certain age what used to be viewed as obnoxious is now seen as eccentric. Considering some of the stuff that comes out of my mouth I get away with murder as everyone has the attitude - never mind it is just Woof being Woof.

Wowsers. That was a kick in the head!

Haha, yes he's quite a sharp fellow, eh?

Good thing he didn't go overboard. If he'd said something offensive, he'd lose his TV Show.

I guess the Scots are more tolerant than we are here.

He actually got banned by the BBC, like proper banned, total media blackout about him…. Just yer average Glaswegian if ye ask me….

Frankie is more of a shock jock.

Aren't we all, darling…..

If there was point to him attacking that Olympic swimmer other than to get himself noticed it must have gone right over my head.

To be fair it was harsh, but the whole "back of a spoon" episode was on the money. Dead ringer…..

I no longer post on the UMGF. There is a total lack of tolerance to anything that remotely criticizes Martin which is weird considering the forum is not run by Martin. I used get the vibes of an uptight golf club house if I spent too long there. Yeah there are some knowledgeable people there, but whenever anyone has a problem with Martin this is what happens. 8592_Devil-rides-Out-1.JPG

Totally agree

Some Martins have had problems with finish checking around the bridge ("whisker cracks") and there is a small coterie of disgruntled Martin owners around this issue, a few of whom decided to set up a stink at UMGF until Martin somehow responded. It has been going on for a long time and there have been huge threads devoted to it. Eventually the mods and some users, myself included, got tired of people using UMGF to attempt to force some response out of Martin. If I am not mistaken this is what some posters above are referring to as no tolerance for criticism of Martin. I have a Gibson CJ-165 with similar checking, by the way and posted pictures of it on one of those threads long ago. It's a fact of life with nitro finish and some people should either get over it or don't buy guitars with nitro finish.

edit: I added the above by way of explanation. It is by no means an invitation for further whining to begin here in this forum about Martin whisker cracks! The right venue for that, I suggest, would be AGF. [cool]devil.gif

Some Martins have had problems with finish checking around the bridge ("whisker cracks") and there is a small coterie of disgruntled Martin owners around this issue, a few of whom decided to set up a stink at UMGF until Martin somehow responded. It has been going on for a long time and there have been huge threads devoted to it. Eventually the mods and some users, myself included, got tired of people using UMGF to attempt to force some response out of Martin. If I am not mistaken this is what some posters above are referring to as no tolerance for criticism of Martin. I have a Gibson CJ-165 with similar checking, by the way and posted pictures of it on one of those threads long ago. It's a fact of life with nitro finish and some people should either get over it or don't buy guitars with nitro finish.

edit: I added the above by way of explanation. It is by no means an invitation for further whining to begin here in this forum about Martin whisker cracks! The right venue for that, I suggest, would be AGF. [cool]devil.gif

The "tude" over there encompasses more than the "whisker crack" issue. Anything that even remotely shines a dim light on his Majesty summons the fanboys into attack mode and the topic is quickly extinguished. And for what its worth a new guitar should not have cracks in the finish no more so than a new car should have chips in the paint. It boggles the mind that some at umgf are perfectly willing to pay top dollar and accept a defective product. Are you kidding me?

The "tude" over there encompasses more than the "whisker crack" issue. Anything that even remotely shines a dim light on his Majesty summons the fanboys into attack mode and the topic is quickly extinguished. And for what its worth a new guitar should not have cracks in the finish no more so than a new car should have chips in the paint. It boggles the mind that some at umgf are perfectly willing to pay top dollar and accept a defective product. Are you kidding me?

AGF old boy. There is absolutely no sense in grinding that axe on this forum. Frankly, with your attitude you should not buy Gibson acoustics either. Get a poly finished guitar if you don't want to see finish checking.

I own a flawless 2011 Gibson j200 Standard. Please don't tell me where to post "old boy."

And if one day it gets a little warm or cold and develops some lacquer checking, then what? You should buy a Taylor guitar. I'll tell you where to go any time I feel like it.

There are a few things I don't understand about this.

To me, the fact that there are Straight Braced and Scalloped Braced Guitars available.

Provides an Ideal Opportunity to develop a highly convincing argument strewn with copious lashings of Verisimilitude.

How can any Spouse, argue or maintain any resistance, in a sustainable way, to the Purchase of Additional Guitars, that just seem the same, to the Eye?

But can be more than Adequately Substantiated to be Entirely Different Altogether, in Sound and Tonality, Internal Construction and a Multitude of Subtle, Minor Cosmetic Differences!

So to me, the wrong question entirely, is being asked.

The right question to ask is "what unarguable reasons can I give, to unreasonable questions, as to why I need another Guitar."

And the Original Poster has already answered this question in the Title of his UMGF Thread, in an profoundly salient and convincing manner, any normal Spouse would be completely bamboozled by.

He just hasn't realised it.

And neither, so it would seem.

Have any of the subsequent posters.

On either of the Fora, involved in all this.

It's very important in Life, to have one's Brain Fully Engaged, when answering questions of this type.

And it has been my invariable experience of Acoustic Guitar Fora, that it is a rare occurrence indeed for a Questioner, to ask the Actual Question, they Really Should be Asking.

This is where the Men are Separated from the Boys, and the Genuinely Experienced, Share the Information that the Questioner Really Needs to Understand, in order to Properly Advance in Stature, Develop and Grow.

How would it be, if on your first day at School, the Teacher just stood there and waited for the Children to ask the questions they personally wanted the answers to? Clearly, it would be a recipe for complete stagnation, and subsequent disaster.

Children do not have sufficient experience to know what they need to know. The knowledgeable amongst them, know that they don't know the things they need to know, so know not to ask such questions. Whereas the unknowledgeable amongst them, don't know, that they don't know, what they need to know. So without knowing it, ask questions, that they believe they need to know the answers to. However, as has been more than adequately demonstrated by this Thread. They merely cause confusion to the weakly minded, by not knowing they are asking, the entirely wrong question altogether.

When Children ask a question.

What the sagaciously mature person.

Endued with great wisdom solidly answers.

Interprets and Addresses the Underlying Subject.

And Teaches the Questioner, the Salient Information.

That Informs and Provides a Solid Basis of Understanding.

Which, when Properly Applied, Answers a Great Many Questions.

That the Child will need to Understand, Grasp and Appreciate Completely.

It is a more Efficient Method of Learning for the Information Seeker.

And Happily provides the Experienced and Knowledgeable Teacher the Opportunity to Write Whatever they will, quite Irrespective of the Question Asked or the Subject Raised.

Ah!

But you write.

We are Adults not Children.

Genuinely, Ask Yourself, Most Sincerely.

Would Anyone Reading Through the Thread, Conclude That?

I for one, think not!

Archived