Gibson Brands Forums

Stable Contentment

duluthdan

Yesterday I had the good fortune to visit a vintage guitar shop in Minnesota while I flew in and out for a day. Played a couple of mid-fifties J-50s, and early 50s J45, a late forties 45 an LG-0, and a '59 Country Western. The 54 J-50 was an awesome example of a collector guitar - even had the original saddle. All the guitars sounded fine, in their own right, the CW being the best tone monster of the bunch. Played a 40s Martin style 17 something, fun, and a new 00-15M that I have been hankering for. Even tried a handful of Martin rosewoods - something missing in my holdings at the moment. Came away from the shop with two hats, and no guitar, and the realization that of all the old wood I had just played, there was nothing that would displace anything I have in the current stable - felt Ok, and I got a lot of GAS out of the system. I am so happyI had the opportunity to sit and play, and not just order blind. Note to self- "Always better to play 'em before you buy 'em. Always."

I felt the same way when I was in Chicago Music Exchange over the summer. I played and drooled over several vintage and new guitars, but I couldn't justify displacing any of the guitars I already have. Contentment is nice. I still have GAS on occassion but I've reached the point where if I buy one, one goes -- and I have a hard time letting any of them go.

But that assumes GAS means longing for something that as you say that will displace what you have. For me GAS is more of a now for something completely different guitar. That leads me places like an all mahogany, small body round soundhole archtop or an all birch jumbo. You put a birch top on a guitar with a 13 1/8" lower bout and what you often get is something tinny and hollow sounding. But increase that lower bout to 15" and throw on some lighter braces and you find yourself playing a guitar with more warmth than a mahogany top 00 but with enough sass to keep you interested and which won't shimmer out when played hard. Curiosity will definitely kill this cat but there are just so many sounds to experiment with and so little time (and money) to do it.

I feel content as well Dan. My SJTV gets 75% of my attention, and my Martin D15 the other 25%. Last night I got the Martin out and noodled for an hour after a tiff wit the misses - and the Martin made me whole. :)

Some of you know I have gone from a stable of perhaps 10 acoustics down to two. I actually had a nice little Yamaha in my office but I just gave that away.

Oh, and it bears repeating - my SJTV makes me smile every time I play it. The only thing I worry about is my cowboy-chording wearing out the first three frets :)

Yesterday I had the good fortune to visit a vintage guitar shop in Minnesota while I flew in and out for a day. Played a couple of mid-fifties J-50s, and early 50s J45, a late forties 45 an LG-0, and a '59 Country Western. The 54 J-50 was an awesome example of a collector guitar - even had the original saddle. All the guitars sounded fine, in their own right, the CW being the best tone monster of the bunch. Played a 40s Martin style 17 something, fun, and a new 00-15M that I have been hankering for. Even tried a handful of Martin rosewoods - something missing in my holdings at the moment. Came away from the shop with two hats, and no guitar, and the realization that of all the old wood I had just played, there was nothing that would displace anything I have in the current stable - felt Ok, and I got a lot of GAS out of the system. I am so happyI had the opportunity to sit and play, and not just order blind. Note to self- "Always better to play 'em before you buy 'em. Always."

I know exactly how you feel. I was at all the great guitar stores in Edmonton last Friday and spent a few hours in each store. Played all the great Gibsons, Martins and Taylors etc.....Then came home and played my Songwriter and my Collings D2H and thought,......Man I picked out two great guitars and nothing I played today could match up to them......EXCEPT...I played a Gibson Jackson Browne Model A that I really loved the tone of. It was a monster picker, strummer and fingerstyle guitar all wrapped into one!.....I WANT ONE!

In general, big Music Store buying has eluded me! I can think of very few 'Big Store' buys that I have made. I have done more purchasing from the small "ma&Pa' types. I have been very fortunate to know some small shop operators(actually one) that has thrown me a lot of bones..ie: getting a great deal from the seller without going to the floor at full-blown retail. I am talking 'used and vintage'. I have made great Ebay (unplayed) deals and made great 'private' deals also.

I must say that they are farther and fewer between lately.

And I must say that I have more of a 'stable' than I can saddle sometimes....But its fun trying and I can,t sell for much in the present economy! Oh well, I like the challenge [thumbup]

In general, big Music Store buying has eluded me! I can think of very few 'Big Store' buys that I have made. I have done more purchasing from the small "ma&Pa' types.

I have never even walked into one of the guitar meglomarts and prefer to haunt the Mom & Pop stores or wait for a friend to part with a certain guitar I had been eying. Avoiding the big stores though only works out if you buy used as most small stores cannot afford the buy in or required commitment to be an authorized dealer for this or that brand.

I thought I was reasonable sated........though an old Martin like a 00-17 slightly beat would go well with some of my faded ones.

Then I watched David Bromberg playing his signature Martin M-42??? and oh, oh, I don't want one of those but whine sneakily looking up that model on Elderly's, I came across a Martin 00-42 that didn't cost a full arm or leg like a vintage number....

Sorry guys in advance, here is Dave Bromberg:

BluesKing777.

Really, really nice version of one of the songs off one of the best albums of all time. Don't know if Dylan ever did a straight acoustic version of it, but he should have.

Bromberg is one of those guys that just makes you shake your head in awe when he's playing and singing at his best.

And that guitar sounds pretty good as well, even if it is a M, Muh, Mar........

But that assumes GAS means longing for something that as you say that will displace what you have. For me GAS is more of a now for something completely different guitar. That leads me places like an all mahogany, small body round soundhole archtop or an all birch jumbo. You put a birch top on a guitar with a 13 1/8" lower bout and what you often get is something tinny and hollow sounding. But increase that lower bout to 15" and throw on some lighter braces and you find yourself playing a guitar with more warmth than a mahogany top 00 but with enough sass to keep you interested and which won't shimmer out when played hard. Curiosity will definitely kill this cat but there are just so many sounds to experiment with and so little time (and money) to do it.

Bingo--could not agree more with this. New guitars are always about something new for me--not replacements.

I've got a maple LG2, hog SJ, rosewood Classical, rosewood Parlor, & hog archtop at the moment. No overlap there. The things I think about now are outside those boxes--resonators, sj200, plus some various changes on themes of above like an L-00 size, a maple j45 etc

All that said, it is a good feeling to not be seeking something currently.

Im with ya Dan. Been GAS free since acquiring the LG-2 which felt like the last piece of the puzzle.

The litmus test was a visit to Twang Central, here in Adalaide which was full Gibson 40's slopes and 60's squares, and everything in between.

Played most of them and walked away impressed with what I was playing but not having a GAS high or real desire to irraitonally, impulsively whip out the credit card.

Basically feel my current stable offers everything I desire.

Im with ya Dan. Been GAS free since acquiring the LG-2 which felt like the last piece of the puzzle.

The litmus test was a visit to Twang Central, here in Adalaide which was full Gibson 40's slopes and 60's squares, and everything in between.

Played most of them and walked away impressed with what I was playing but not having a GAS high or real desire to irraitonally, impulsively whip out the credit card.

Basically feel my current stable offers everything I desire.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I have everything I desire. If it wasn't for my self imposed 5 guitar limit, that CW may have followed me home. But like I said, I'm pretty content with the current guitars. Glad you have a nice spectrum. Played an Aaron Lewis, relic... Sounded oh so good, but just no getting past the intended scratch job. If yours sounds like that, without the cosmetology, it's a winner.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I have everything I desire. If it wasn't for my self imposed 5 guitar limit, that CW may have followed me home. But like I said, I'm pretty content with the current guitars. Glad you have a nice spectrum. Played an Aaron Lewis, relic... Sounded oh so good, but just no getting past the intended scratch job. If yours sounds like that, without the cosmetology, it's a winner.

I would exept mine to sound same as the relic as they are identical guitars except the 'relicing' level. As I wrote it sounded 90% like the 52'SJ at Twang Central, in other words, superb. Its my fave guitar in the stable.

How dod you find the Aaron compared to your SJ and J-45tV Dan ?

btw: I just noticed the Aaron Lewis SJ is back in production and on Gibsons website.

[quote name='EuroAussie' timestamp='1388103508' post='1465863'

How dod you find the Aaron compared to your SJ and J-45tV Dan ?.

I didn't have them with me to grant a fair comparison. My SJ has the Luthier Choice neck, and its a robust and deep sounding instrument, my J45 is raw. That AL was perfectly setup, and had a powerful bass with great mid-range. If my J-45 didn't have the history it does, and wasn't so much darn fun to play and write with, I'd say the AL had ,er beat. Had a really nice edge to the sound, if that makes any sense.

Archived