Gibson Brands Forums

Orville Les Pauls?

Gibson Artist

So i was looking around local gc and spotted a Orville Les Paul. Gave it a whirl and it sounded really nice. What id like to know is does anyone know the origins of those? Are they legit Gibsons or did the head of Gibson take off like Leo Fender did and create a new company? The sales clerk said it was a Gibson but i didnt see the Gibson name on the headstock?? Anyone have info or one of these?

So i was looking around local gc and spotted a Orville Les Paul. Gave it a whirl and it sounded really nice. What id like to know is does anyone know the origins of those? Are they legit Gibsons or did the head of Gibson take off like Leo Fender did and create a new company? The sales clerk said it was a Gibson but i didnt see the Gibson name on the headstock?? Anyone have info or one of these?

I'd buy a custom-looking one if the price were right. Japanese-made Gibson....heard they're excellent overall. They seem to lack nibs though.

Yeah, I think both Fender and Gibson had decided it might be easier to produce in Japan that fight the production that was already occurring there. The Orvilles were only made for like 10 years. I think they stopped production in 1998. Don't now if they are any better than Greco, Burny, Edwards or Tokai - but certainly as good (and that ain't bad).

Some would argue that at the time the Orville's were being made that they were better quality then the American made Les Pauls.

Indeed, some would. Sadly, none of them were alive and playing guitars then.

rct

Archived