Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs counterfeit

saturn

theres a local musician in my area, well known and a great player, has 2 of these Les Pauls and one of their PRS'. from across the room they look like the real deal, but up close something just doesn't seem right. i wonder how many of these make it onto ebay and are passed off as the real McCoy. Thats why i only buy from the same local music store. they give me great deals too.

Guest Farnsbarns

The best thing I learned from watching this is that the wood they use is "left over firewood from their huts"... [unsure]

There were of couple of "can you say that?" Moments in there... [biggrin]

The thing that surprised me was that the quality of these counterfeit guitars is so much lower than that of the licensed copies coming out of China, such as Epiphones. I've seen some Epi's that rival Gibsons for fretwork, and do use one or two piece backs (not 4 or 5 glued together), and Grover tuners not those covered pieces of crap like they put on the cheapest models, but this counterfeit really seemed poor.

I thought the video was great, and he really pointed out a lot of things a young person just starting out would not understand.

The only thing I hated about it was that "one more" piece of crap copy was sold, but he had to have one to show the difference.

I've never given one second of thought to counterfeit Fenders and Gibsons and Martins. Ever. I don't understand why anyone would. There are two kinds of people that buy them, and both deserve it, so...

rct

• 2 weeks later...

Not helpful at all that homeboy played through a ton of distortion. I could not hear any of the dead frets about which he seemed so exasperated. My Les Paul's pickups are on a bit of a slant as well. The last Chinese "Res Paul" I played weighed about 4 or 5 lbs and was very nice to play. The light weight is a giveaway to anybody playing it but if you saw Slash playing it you'd never think twice.

Y'all do know that most of Slash's "Gibson Les Pauls" through the years are NOT Gibsons, right?

This fellow seemed to be defensive about buying overpriced new Gibsons more than anything else. I have a $20 First Act LP Junior that I swapped out the tuners & pickup with Chinese stuff from www.guitarfetish.com and it performs just as well as any of my Gibsons.

A cheapo guitar is good to use for occasions or gigs you risk theft or damage. Set it up & check the wiring yourself so you know it's dependable, and get ready for compliments. Personally I think his Res Paul is prettier than his Les Pauls.

Y'all do know that most of Slash's "Gibson Les Pauls" through the years are NOT Gibsons, right?

But they were quality instruments unlike that shown in the vid. Models like the Kris Derrig 1986 59' copy have become legendary in their own right

Archived