Gibson Brands Forums

Christmas Epiphone Acoustic Poll

mgrasso

I am leaning towards the Masterbilt.

Both are discontinued, but GC has the EJ new in VS which I was looking to finally buy.

I know the Masterbuit is the better constructed and I got to play it. Fine guitar. Was looking for a larger body, but these don't pop up often and the price is really good.

Just wanted to hear from the group.

I tend toward the EF although I'm not sure I'd care for the more "V" of the neck.

Why? yeah, the Masterbilts are marvelous, but it's mostly 'cuz the smaller instrument is easier for my body geometry and style of playing than even an AJ slope-shoulder dread, let alone a jumbo. Yeah, maybe only 5-8 percent easier, but that's kinda significant to a grouchy old man.

But I'd say a lot has to do with how you play, what you play and what you'll be doing with the instrument. That's gotten me talking myself outa a cupla good buys lately when I figured a guitar just didn't quite fit what I've been doing the past 10 years and what I'm likely to be pickin' the next 10 - and I've enough nice ones to play the other stuff I ain't been playin' lately.

m

I'd go with what sounds better to you, myself I like the tones from the larger ej but the masterbuilt is a, in opinion, a better crafted guitar. I'd say the ej has its finer qualities as well. Personally the DR-500MCE is the best of both worlds.

1388016607[/url]' post='1465542']

I tend toward the EF although I'm not sure I'd care for the more "V" of the neck.

Why? yeah, the Masterbilts are marvelous, but it's mostly 'cuz the smaller instrument is easier for my body geometry and style of playing than even an AJ slope-shoulder dread, let alone a jumbo. Yeah, maybe only 5-8 percent easier, but that's kinda significant to a grouchy old man.

But I'd say a lot has to do with how you play, what you play and what you'll be doing with the instrument. That's gotten me talking myself outa a cupla good buys lately when I figured a guitar just didn't quite fit what I've been doing the past 10 years and what I'm likely to be pickin' the next 10 - and I've enough nice ones to play the other stuff I ain't been playin' lately.

m

I did not notice the "V" neck being that much difference.It does have a wider neck which would be better for fingerpicking which I am working this year. From my signature, you can see that I have the Fender jumbo and the Emperor Regent, which is also jumbo sized.This would be my only Concert sized guitar.

The sound and feel are very good for the price being asked. Which is why I am leaning towards the EF.

1388021232[/url]' post='1465551']

I'd go with what sounds better to you, myself I like the tones from the larger ej but the masterbuilt is a, in opinion, a better crafted guitar. I'd say the ej has its finer qualities as well. Personally the DR-500MCE is the best of both worlds.

I got to play a used EJ-200ce that was older without the two pickup system. I liked the sound. Not sure if it had a solid top like the new ones do. But I do have similar playing guitars.

I agree that the Masterbilt is the better crafted guitar.I have a DR-500p that is marvelous.I constantly look for clean used Masterbilts to add to my collection. But I have a hard time paying what some are asking. The AJ-500 R and M are on my radar.

I'm especially on the lookout for the darker finishes.

I was fortunate to be able to play and inspect this first.

I have played the DR-500MCE but was not as impressed as I am with the earlier models. Just did not warm up to the gloss body or the sound is the ones I have played. But I do hear great reviews from other owners.

Close call. I voted for the new EJ-200 V/S assuming it has a solid top. These are two very different guitars, many preferring the EF for finger style, and I believe it is a Rosewood body, which is distinct to itself, while the Maple EJ will sound bigger and different. Many love the EJ-200. I might also suggest you consider a new IB Texan...solid top, and solid Mahogany back, laminated sides only and with pick up, and great reviews at a good price. Sweetwater and others have those. Masterbilts are great, but I do do much finger style ...my Masterbilts are Two AJ models and the DR500mce. I am often a bit leery of buying used unless I am certain they are are ok and play well. Consider style, woods, used, new, Masterbilts, EJ models or Texans if you like the slope shoulder (one of my favorite shapes for rich tone and balance)..then get the one that speaks to you! Good luck, and let us know if you decide on one of them! This link shows the Texan burst at Sweetwater. http://www.sweetwate...etail/EETXVCNH/ The Texan review video can be found here

This is a case of better vs beater. No contest: Masterbilt EF in a landslide.

All solid wood vs laminated back & sides. Better resale value and --- most importantly --- better tone.

the size of the guitar adds to the tone, the ef is better quality but its a smaller guitar thus a brighter tone.

The problem with any discussion of a non-AE "acoustic" guitar's tone is not IMHO one of "better" or "worse," but rather appropriateness to a given sort of music.

E.g., Leon Redbone vids indicate a "tone" that many pickers here would not care for, but that probably work better than a Gibson J or Martin D for what he does.

IMHO the "E" in an "AE" can aid the picker in far more tonal variations to the point that personal playing comfort and player geometry can be far better accommodated, thereby at least in theory tone is not a deciding variable. Strings ditto where string style and guitar size can be the major variable. OTOH, light strings such as I use (9-42) definitely do not work well on any guitar, expecially an acoustic or AE, if one has a very heavy hand flatpicking.

So it's something of a "gain this, lose that," that in my opinion put the greater value on playability and player geometry than the basic acoustic tone of an instrument. Technique is then something of a second place because a heavy strummer obviously would not be all that happy with a parlor guitar or anything much smaller than a "dread" or "jumbo," especially with lighter strings on anything.

But listening to a classical player helps understand how to get incredible tonal variations from a given instrument just acoustically. Different strings will make a difference too.

m

Archived