Gibson Brands Forums

This topic doesn't deserve a thread,

E-minor7

what really makes me wonder is the fact that each time a thread about one of the other forums are launched (often w. a negative vibe to it), it gets 3 or 4 pages here.

Admit I can't nail the psychological gears and go's behind this – it's my 2013 X-mas riddle.

Any good bids. . . ?

I think I get it… people love hot potatoes and people love car crashes, no matter what they say…. they do… I love it as well, I do, but I'm probably not as scared of myself as some others, I love the weirdness, the quirks, the noodle bits.. I live for that stuff. I'm not a poor man but I can't afford the therapy to sort that stuff out, so I choose to find extreme comedy in it. works for me.

what really makes me wonder is the fact that each time a thread about one of the other forums are launched (often w. a negative vibe to it), it gets 3 or 4 pages here.

Admit I can't nail the psychological gears and go's behind this – it's my 2013 X-mas riddle.

Any good bids. . . ?

Humans are tribal...

Every person has one or two peccadillos or pet peeves. Some are more sensitive than others if you insult their manhood. Or their religion. Or their choice of guitar, car or political party.

Most folks have been de-sensitized by 'ethnic jokes' and don't get upset. Leather-skinned as PM referred to it in that 'other' thread. But, with the growing trend to eliminate any jokes, slurs or opinions that touch upon race, religion, sexual preference, national origin, etc - some folks have not been fully de-sensitized and get offended by comments that others would laugh at, and some would just ignore.

So - statistically speaking, if you get a hundred - odd people here talking about all sorts of things, and sometimes trying to be funny - it is inevitable that one person will offend another person. And, some of us have been cursed with good memories and remember which person it was that offended them a year or so ago.

I use to feel it was important to push back, tit for tat (hope that didn't offend anyone) but now I just believe if you don't feed the troll, he'll go back under the bridge. You can try to enlighten those who are young and haven't formed inflexible opinions, but not those who are set in their ways. I became thus enlightened when my Life Coach told me I didn't make the team. So now. I drive a Ford, my wife - a Subaru and our son a Chevy. Yet, somehow, we respect each other's choices. And this enabled me to not sneer at someone when they pull up alongside me at a red light driving a Prius.

Sorry for the long, didactic answer. But I think it's important to the mental health of our forum - and appreciate Em7 for raising the question in a more neutral corner.

If you think you might be too easily offended either here, or at home or in the office - I suggest you visit the "Now I've offended someone at the UMGF" thread - first watch George Carlin, and then Frankie Boyle.

I use to feel it was important to push back, tit for tat (hope that didn't offend anyone) but now I just believe if you don't feed the troll, he'll go back under the bridge. You can try to enlighten those who are young and haven't formed inflexible opinions, but not those who are set in their ways.

That's pretty much where I've come down as well, but it still takes a lot of self-control not to rise to the bait at times.

But then, labeling folk a 'troll' is what people do on the Internet when their opinion doesn't align well. Being a troll and calling a troll are about as valuable as each other... Ie.. Not really.

Feeding an attention seeker is going to get you no further forward, that much is clear... But labeling opposing opinions no matter how weak or strong as 'trolls' will set you off on a path to nowhere. Each to their own...

Feeding an attention seeker is going to get you no further forward, that much is clear... But labeling opposing opinions no matter how weak or strong as 'trolls' will set you off on a path to nowhere. Each to their own...

Having different opinions is very different from being deliberately provocative, just for the sake of being provocative. People can have different opinions without poking each other in the eye with a stick just to get a reaction. The latter does not strike me as a productive way to start a rational discourse between people who have legitimate disagreements.

Having different opinions is very different from being deliberately provocative, just for the sake of being provocative. People can have different opinions without poking each other in the eye with a stick just to get a reaction. The latter does not strike me as a productive way to start a rational discourse between people who have legitimate disagreements.

I dunno, people can work themselves into a corner with opinions, strong ones, when that happens there's always going to someone poking a bit of fun. I think people in general would do well to remember that it's strangers on a relatively anonymous discussion platform.

Threads rarely stay cold and factual or purely technical. When's the last time you seen a trolling outburst on a thread that was purely technical and devoid of opinion?

Trolling has no value when it's not responded to. But one mans trolling is many others 'keeping a bit of humour in it all'. I'd much rather handle awkwardness with a bit of derisory humour than get into an angry head to head. I think the day an Internet forum made me genuinely angry would have to be my last day there and I'd have lost any respect for my own argument or stance.

I think in general we expect better of ourselves in this forum. We're not better than the bulk of people on some other forums, but I think we typically are more grown-up. That refers to maturity, not necessarily age. I don't recall many people in here slamming The AGF. The comments often have a humorous side to them in relationship to particular threads on that forum. As many of us have mentioned, there is a core of very good and intelligent pickers who frequent the place, but there are also a number of trolls and people who are looking for negative threads. For myself, I think The AGF is too big and unruly. Pretty difficult for the mods to control no matter how hard they try. What goes on there is kind of the nature of a forum that big.......This place is more easy-going and relaxed and though it is focused on Gibsons, there are very few threads that are outright attacks on Taylor, Martin, etc. :rolleyes:

But then, labeling folk a 'troll' is what people do on the Internet when their opinion doesn't align well. Being a troll and calling a troll are about as valuable as each other... Ie.. Not really.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/107934-agf-new-low/page__view__findpost__p__1460454

And yet...

There are mean spirited "trolls". Who live under bridges..

And there are fun loving, caped crusader Greek Chorus "trolls" like PM who force us to look inwards and ask the question "Will my guitar sound better if I shave one of my legs?"

Only to find he's been pulling it.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/107934-agf-new-low/page__view__findpost__p__1460454

And yet...

There are mean spirited "trolls". Who live under bridges..

And there are fun loving, caped crusader Greek Chorus "trolls" like PM who force us to look inwards and ask the question "Will my guitar sound better if I shave one of my legs?"

Only to find he's been pulling it.

I resent that, how do you know shaving his legs hasn't opened this fellas life to some true happiness? Perhaps his limbs are as bald as the day he was born and he's so filled with joy that he's a complete and utter pleasure to be around

trolling need not be negative, the name certainly is, but the point of the act can be purely to point out how ludicrous it is to be argue about taste & preference related subject matters.

The only actual trolling I have done is to go after bullies, bullies often cry wolf and misunderstanding when mods get onboard, what Internet bullies cannot handle is being bullied. I never go after the harmless souls, only the self satisfied and mean spirited. I don't even offer an apology for it. People hide behind being told off by focusing on the anonymity but when they've been humiliated or shamed that anonymity is less effective.

I'm always nice until someone else is not. :D

Archived