Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about my Les Paul

Swiftman

Hello all I recently bought my first ever Gibson Guitar and I love the way it feels, sounds a and plays and I will be playing the crap out of it.

I would like to her spec's a bit better though.

Here is what I do know:

She is a 2011 Les Paul Studio in black satin.

The pick-ups are black without covers on them.

SN# is 103810375

I believe the guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

February 7th, 2011

Production Number: 75

My questions are:

1) Is the fretboard made of baked maple or rosewood?

2) Are the pick-ups 490's/498's or Burst Buckers?

3) What type of weight relief- modern or chambered?

I'll try to add pic's but not sure how to do so as of yet.

Thanks for your help...

Chuck

I don't know but on my Faded Brown 2011 LP Studio I have Burstbuckers and they are not black but chrome whatever.

Thanks for your help guys.

When I try to do a search on it. I get conflicting answers, it's a bit frustrating!l

Some sites tell me it's bake maple some sites tell me it's Rosewood

Is there a good way to tell by looking at the fingerboard?

It's really no big deal I was just wondering. I still love my guitar sounds great and feels great.

Some sites tell me the pick ups are 490R for 498T and some sites tell me their burst buckers??

Again is there some way I can just tell by looking at them?

Thanks so much

Thanks for your help guys.

When I try to do a search on it. I get conflicting answers, it's a bit frustrating!l

Some sites tell me it's bake maple some sites tell me it's Rosewood

Is there a good way to tell by looking at the fingerboard?

It's really no big deal I was just wondering. I still love my guitar sounds great and feels great.

Some sites tell me the pick ups are 490R for 498T and some sites tell me their burst buckers??

Again is there some way I can just tell by looking at them?

Thanks so much

Rosewood has more grain and has small pores. Gibson didn't start using baked maple until the raid and their rosewood was confiscated AFAIK. The raid was in August of 2011.

Rosewood has more grain and has small pores. Gibson didn't start using baked maple until the raid and their rosewood was confiscated AFAIK. The raid was in August of 2011.

Ok that's what I thought but needed it to hear it from you guys! [tongue]

And I think it has the modern weight relief.... :huh:

And 490/498 Humbuckers... :huh:

Thanks "cjsinla" for chiming in!!

Chuck

My faded brown LP Studio from 2011 is rosewood fretboard. Burstbuckers 2 & 3 I think without reviewing that year and thinner and chambered than more expensive Gibsons like my 2013 Tradtitional. I like the hollow type sound a bit because without an amp you can hear it better, but I do not exactly like the Burstbuckers, but you get what you pay for and the guitar was more than half less than the 2013 Traditional which was on sale just recently.

The action may be a bit higher also because it is not pleked and all of that. I got what I paid for, and it sounds okay and action I can get used to. Different than my EPI cheapy 339 which sounds okay but thin, and all three guitars are different in action a little more or less.

Plus I have to mess around with any of them and change things because I can do that. Intonation, and action and taking it apart and looking at everything.

[biggrin]

I figure I bought them so that will be that.

So now I'm even more confused. I assumed all the 2011 stuido's would have the same type of weight relief, but I guess they make diffrent options? As well diffrent options with the pick ups??

Are ther also options with difrent body finishes such as polished, faded, statins and bindings?

Well, it looks on utube as if they made different models. there are the faded ones with '50 necks, the '60's tribute model, the black satin model, and some with P90s PU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCcVCxNpYE

This is not me, but mine is faded brown otherwise the same as he describes it, and mine has the '50's neck on it.

It has a nitrocellulose finish on it, and whether it is Burstbuckers 1 & 2 but probably Burstbuckers 2 & 3 I guess I do not remember. Whether it is 300kOhms pots and not 500kOhm pots unlike he states in the video I guess I do not know that either, but it is similiar in volume to my 2013 Traditional so it may be 500kOhm pots, but somewhere the cost has to be cut down as it was around $700 but listed for more. Some could be bought later for a little less like $650 or so at the end.

So perhaps on the bottom of the PU will be what it is, but probably maybe not.

Depends perhaps on where it was bought also. Mine was from Sweetwater.

Gibson may keep changing things throughout the year also. Mine was early 2011, February I think without looking it up.

There are other video there also and about the black satins, and whatever from 2011 also.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Here are the specs for Your guitar: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Satin/Specs.aspx

...and a little help how to tell rosewood from baked maple. The picture below shows two guitars with baked maple. The L6S was brand-new when I shot the picture. The LP is nearly two-years old. You can see how this fretboard material darkens after playing it for a while:

HPIM4347_zps31c1f28d.jpg

This shows the LP when it was new:

HPIM2971.jpg

This is rosewood:

LPST50WGCH7.jpg

As far as pickups are concerned, please refer to this: http://www.themusiczoo.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?keywords=Burstbucker&category=PTAC&defaction=search. 498Ts doesn't have the P.A.F. sticker on the base-plate, while the Burstbuckers do, and they also have a small white sticker with "BBX" printed on them.

The 490R/498T pickups have a "Gibson USA" logo embossed on the base-plate.

Hope it helps.

Cheers... Bence

Archived