Gibson Brands Forums

A question about scales for you pure guitarists

rocketman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! I know the exact notes they are playing so I got a perfect score on all of them. But I can see how this would be a big help, especially when they play the notes at the same time.

What I need help on is phrasing on the guitar. I do pretty well on the piano but I'm not there on guitar yet.

Nope. A person with true perfect pitch can't listen to music because it drives them nuts. I hear a note and I know what it is, but I'm not that sensitive to fine frequency changes. My music teachers asked me a zillion questions of how I do it. For example, they wondered if I see "colors" with each note. I don't. I really have no idea how I know. The only bad part is that my brain is always "writing" out the music when I hear a tune. I can't just simply sit back and enjoy music.

I think everyone can learn relative pitch, which is something different. This is done by starting with a given pitch and determining the next note. I make them try to sing an interval. I start them out by singing the major scale and them pick out the note from the scale. Most people I teach this approach to get it down pretty easily.

I can see why RM's teachers had him listen to Louis A. Whether playing trumpet or singing, the phrasing and improv were special.

I can see how "knowing" notes might constrain one.

Ever just say the heck with it and sing scat while chording on keys or guitar?

m

Archived