Gibson Brands Forums

Less NGD action that I expected

ParlourMan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NGs are coming - they are probably getting their photos and measurements taken......

I fought off any foughts by locking myself in my fought and altered the tuning on my recent old/NGD - 36 National Trojan.

It spoke to me - "lower the tuning a few pegs to make it easier to play" so after mulling this over for a week or more, I did it!

It can be a scary process with an old guitar - we start to find all the weak spots - but all went well and now the Nat is in Open G tuning but down 2 full stops to make it an Open F....

Sounds great to me - here is a little demo I made yesterday:

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/oheffit01a

BluesKing777.

That was really good. Handles the tuning great too. bing-bong, sir. bing-bong! msp_thumbup.gif

Thanx PM.

Turning our attentions to playing, recording, photographing, retuning, re-learning, learning new tunes is a great way to, apart from being fun on its own merit, deflect a burning need to fill the ONE vacant spot on the guitar rack........

The danger is not over yet - the next few weeks are a good time for the 'canny' purchaser keeping an eye on the 'unwanted' Xmas gift....... Perhaps the heavy rock guitar star looked at the vintage Gibson/Martin/National he/she got for the big gift and thought: 'What do I do with that?' eBay......

Put a software block on vintage guitars.......

BluesKing777.

I've got a slightly used J-185 arriving next week, but I try not to get too excited since there are a lot of factors that could lead to any instrument being sent back.

Been eying this model for a very long time, so hopefully it will work out. In 2001, I returned to a store to buy one that I'd played the week before, and they had raised the price significantly. When I pointed this out, the coldness of the salesman made it easy to walk away - and I've been lusting from afar ever since.

Dchristo. Sweet!

I normally always had a NGD around the holidays... But losing a house in hurricane sandy, and kids in college, combined have put the hurt on. Not to mention the fact that I am waiting for a plumber to come over and fix the sink... His fee is a what I might lay for a nice Asian guitar. Yikes!

Euroaussie has a most excellent answer I am subscribing to as well.

As for me, there have been eighteen brand-new guitars and five brand-new basses in 2013, up to three on one day [scared]

But however, there are no acoustic guitars among them, just seven magnetic/piezo hybrid guitars. I also didn't want to boast with every new purchase but just listed them in my signature, hoping to be able to finally keep them.

I posted here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/108470-how-did-2013-rate-for-you/page__view__findpost__p__1466678

why and how things will have to clear up for me in the near future.

I'm a bit surprised about the guitars too PM. Show's to go you, that the BIG sale prices on guitars don't always net sales results. Or maybe the buyers are 1st time buyers & just never stop by here.

For me it was as my 2013 survey says. Just a MEAH year. Not bad, not good. Just there. I did get a new Hummingbird but now I can't remember if I got any other gear. Ain't that awful, I might have but have too much stuff & if I did it just isn't memorable enough to stick. Also, we're saving up some $$ to attempt to break ground on a smaller retirement home in Wyoming or New Mexico.

I may have to switch to what EA says and learn to play some of these dang stringy things I have. [biggrin]

Aster

I haven't got a guitar for Christmas since I was 12 year old. ( Thanks Mom & Dad!) [biggrin]

It was a Gretsch 6003 (Jimmy Rodgers model - think mahogany auditorium size ) That was my first really nice solid wood guitar. I had a fire at my house in 1988 and the guitar was ruined. I really miss that guitar for the sentimental value. [crying]

I thought of getting another but I know it wouldn't be the same. [unsure]

At this time of year I try to focus on others less fortunate. I have way more gear than I'll ever need.

What I need is more talent. [thumbup]

You know Skeeter, your comment about having more equipment than you need is probably why this topic title popped up ..... most of us here are in that same boat. So when asked by my loved ones, I generally just tell them to get me a new capo or something simple. Frankly, I'd just as soon give a guitar for christmas as get one. That's the spirit I think.

You know Skeeter, your comment about having more equipment than you need is probably why this topic title popped up ..... most of us here are in that same boat. So when asked by my loved ones, I generally just tell them to get me a new capo or something simple. Frankly, I'd just as soon give a guitar for christmas as get one. That's the spirit I think.

I'd like to help you in your quest to feel Christmas spirit. I'll take one :)

I'd like to help you in your quest to feel Christmas spirit. I'll take one :)

What a pal!

Alas, BBG, you don't meet the criteria .... I give to those who wanna learn or are just learning to play. You, my friend, are wayyyyyyyyyy past that point. Which reminds me that you haven't posted as song in a while. How about a Sunday treat?

Archived