Gibson Brands Forums

Poor Man's NGD

jedzep

Missing the tone and volume of a dread these past few days, as I have nothing bigger than an L00 in the house right now. I even wonder if it'll be a long time before I get to experience a NGD, or if ever. New strings to the rescue!

I've always bypassed DR Hi Beams as the description touts them as brightening up heavier braced acoustics for cutting through bigger competing guitars. I associate that with the heightened 'jangliness' of some of the strings in a new set that you have to wait out before they balance. Guess I'm bored and wanted to see what these would do for my featherweight '31 L0. Well, good things happened. It did increase flatpicking/strumming volume and gave me the sound of a bigger guitar. I have the 11-50's on, tuned down half step to D#, as a kindness to my 80 yr old antiques. I play it every day so it'll be interesting to see how long they take to flatten out, but I have to say I can recommend them to you guys who might be looking for a cheap substitute for a NGD.

Anyone else like or hate these?

Please Santa, Satan, anybody...just lemme' buy one more guitar. I swear I'll quit after that.

Apologies, in advance, for another string discussion.

I have recently tried the DR sunbeams for the first time. My impression is that the low E sounds a little rubbery and the lower tension (especially on a short scale) make hammers and pull offs a little trickier. That said I will give them a little longer and see if my first impression holds true.

Glad you found a diversion for the time being. Strings, pins, saddles are a fun "wander".

I have used the DR Sunbeams and Rares, both of which I like, but I have not tried the Hi-Beams. I wonder though if what you are hearing is a difference in balance more than an increase in volume. I figure the only way to make a guitar louder is to play it harder.

I have a bunch of old guitars without reinforced necks laying around so like you tend to keep them tuned down rather than tempt fate. Not as much worried about the necks or bridges as buckling around the soundhole as these guitars often do not have any bracing around it.

I know the physics of it don't make sense, but there seems to be more volume. Balance is there, more trebly, jangly all across the board. I like that tone...at least today. I'm lucky that the little 12 fretter already has a pronounced bass, I'll order a few sets and try out on the L00 too, which has a softer tone.

Smart keeping the tension backed off. The L0 top has a hint of a dip above the bridge. I also like having another singing key available.

Never tried them.

Another cheap approach is to get a thumbpick and a fingerpick and play in a smaller room.

I could deafen myself if I use the thumb pick on my resonator in my small music room.

(Which leads to another suggestion - have a look for a budget reso on the Ebay - one like the new Gretsch Boxcar should peel those old ears back!)

Here's a new one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GrchResRnd/

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK. I like that suggestion. I think that Gretsch is tempting and have always wanted to add dobro to my reportoire. I have a lap Oahu type that I hook up to a Fender Champ with the gain annoyingly high for open tuning slide playing. At my age I'm probably stuck at whatever fingerpicking skill level I'm at now. Fingerpicks would throw me at this point. I need a flatpick to make decent noise.

Still liking the Hi Beams. Just learned old Kinks song, 'Sunny Afternoon'. Dm C A# A.

I looked the Bobtail up on eBay for you, JZ, and not one second hand one I could see.

All the dealers have exactly the same price for new!

So that says : a. Everyone loves them so much they all keep them. b. They collapse in a pile of parts after the 2nd strum?

But the hog look is appealing.

BluesKing777.

Archived