Gibson Brands Forums

Dropped my les paul :/

ShaymanUnleased

Hey fellow forum members.

A few weeks ago, I bought a gorgeous epiphone les paul tribute plus (the last one in stock aswell). A week ago I was havin a pretty insane jam session with my band and apparently epiphone straplocks cant handle my crazy way of movin round with a guitar... so yeah... I jumped up without any hands on my beautiful les paul and the strap lock came off and my very heavy les paul fell onto the hardwood floor. When inspecting it after the "accident", I saw a tiny (maybe 0.5cm long) crack near the nut. Its extremely thin and very small. So small that it took me a while to notice it. Now my question is, is there any internal damage? Will the crack get bigger? Is it a finish or wood crack? Should I be worried? It still plays and sounds very well. I just cant imagine how theres only a tiny crack from a result of a fall. I was expecting a serious neck break because its a very heavy guitar and also the fall was pretty intense. Am I missing something?

SSorry I cant get any photos because im currently in Turkey and the fall happened a few hours before my flight.

Guest Farnsbarns

Being an epi, I guess it has a scarf joint at the headstock, much stronger than a one piece. Does the crack follow a glue joint? If not, it might be a crack in the wood and it might get worse, to find out, keep playing it and if it's still OK in 20 years you'll probably be OK. Pictures would help.

Just another vote for "stop jumping about and worry about playing", especially in rehearsals!

You are in the wrong section of this forum and I do not want your guitar ever.

Considering this is the LES PAUL forum, and he's asking a question about his LES PAUL, I'd say he's in the right section. Also he never asked if anyone wanted his guitar. I'm going to assume you posted this in the wrong topic.

Gibson USA Les Pauls is this forum. EPI is in another section with EPI Electrics.

Yes, it is a EPI LP, but not actually a Gibson.

That is what the forum states.

Not me.

And I just thought I include that I do not want his guitar after he dropped it.

And I am not in the wrong section.

Gibson USA Les Pauls is this forum. EPI is in another section with EPI Electrics.

Not me.

well then......

take THIS !!!

GarysCam178.jpg

BevsCam2201.jpg

I posted an EPI LP, w HORNS, in the Gibson USA LP section.... [scared]

is your eye twitching yet? [lol]

Guest Farnsbarns

Not me.

Let me guess... Do you have adenoids, oily hair, a bad moustache, a clip board and an anorak? Are you the chairman of a pointless local committee?

@the OP. Ignore this guy. While it isn't all sweetness and light on this forum it's not typical behaviour.

Guest Farnsbarns

In Benders defense, there is an Epiphone Electrics forum that the OP can post topics in for future reference. However, he did not need to be a jerk about it.

I think you mean Spacealf, not Bender. Bender is a very good bloke!

I thought a LP was a LP....

OP, if you wanna' jump around, get better straplocks !!

One of the best tips I got off this forum was to use the little rubber washer doohickey off the Grolsch beer bottles with

the cool ceramic caps.

I put them on my straps. They are free, you get a great beer and they are rock solid.

Although my crazy jumping days are long gone.

When I'm feeling really wild I stand up.

All I did was mention about the forum. As for ganging up, I think some of you people are real jerks, trying to persuade others that I have to be some sort of politician to be on this forum.

Maybe Gibson can fix his guitar, they do repairs, I would not know though, so that will have to be found out.

i had a es 345 a long time ago. It got dropped onto concrete, but I was not jumping up and down, so I know the pain of it all, but it hit on the edge and only did a little damage with a crack on the body by the volume and tone controls.

There, we are both the same now, sort of, maybe, well, not really!

[thumbdn]

on dropping guitars whether strap locks or not.

Perhaps some of the other people have dropped guitars also, let's hear about that also.

Who here has dropped a guitar?

[glare]

Tell the truth now!

I'd say get it to a qualified luthier and have them take a look at it.

I've actually looked at a couple LP's with repairs lately, and done by the right person, some are almost impossible to spot....other's look like they did more damage than good.....lol.

I've never "fully" dropped any of mine.........thank God. I am pretty religious about strap locks and try to be very careful. I have done my fair share of chips and dings from bumping into things and some small headstock chips, etc......each mark is like a dagger in my heart...lol.

NHTom

I had a cheapo Alvarez about 15 years ago that I bought to take with me when I was driving long haul and dropped it shattering the head stock when it was about 2 days old. I was so aggravated that I gave it away to a friend who super glued the head stock back together and still plays it to this day.

Archived