Gibson Brands Forums

How did 2013 RATE for you?

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

2013 is rapidly heading to the can and soon 2014's door opens. Just wondering how you all saw, received, or experienced 2013 as a year. Yes, I know we should consider it a "GREAT" year if we're still here, have a place to live, food to eat, etc. and I agree with that. If we nitpick beyond that, you know how we perceive the year to our "expectations" maybe, how would you rate it?

For me it was # 3. MEAH. Nothing bad, Nothing Good for the year. Kind of a MEAH year for business, weather, vacation etc. All pretty MEAH. I have had too many #4 & #5 years before so overall MEAH is pretty good by comparison. To me great years have things like a real happy feel, had great times with family & friends, had a really memorable/enjoyable vacation, went on a great road trip on the bike. Stuff like that there. Rarely buying things pull the numbers up or down with the year's rating.

So, What's ya think. Vote early & vote often!!

BTW, Happy New Year to ya too!!!

P.S. I enjoy walks with our dogs & my Personal Nurse (my wife) as they help clear my head a bunch. While on a walk this week, and pontificating on the year with her, I proclaimed we had a MEAH year because we "planned" and put energy forth for a "MEAH" year. If we wanted a GOOD or GREAT year we have to manufacture it with thought & deed. You get out what you put into it type of deal is what I reckon.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

My father has been very I'll all year. He seems to be picking up now but my step father died a couple of weeks ago. Being self employed got so hard I walked away from it and got a job, very hard walking away from that much hard work. The job has turned out to be with the most dishonest company I've ever come across, their attitude towards staff is abhorrent and they have continually lied to keep me from leaving as long as possible. I've had a lot of bad fortune financially as well. I can safely say 2013 has been the worst year of my life. Here's hoping 2014 is better.

Strangely, I seem to remember a similar post, in a similar thread a year ago. Oh dear... Still things can only get so bad before the law of averages brings me a cracking year.

Good luck to all for 2014.

You to Farnsy!! Hope things go okay for your Pappa for sure!! Also, a good work day does help with a great year somehow. I want to get to doing "work" that I want to do for the last "Click" (20 yrs is a click to my wife & me) We're just starting on our 4rd "click" and hope to have at least a great "click & a half" to 2 left!! Ain't that a scary thought? Is to us.

It was good for me.

I did a lot of weird buying and selling: Magnepan 3.7s were replaced with 20.7s which were replaced by 3.7s (I'm into stereo gear)

a Buell X1W was sold to help pay for the 20.7s and then I ran out and bought a replacement X1W (I'm into motorcycles)

I started playing the guitar again and am getting my old Lucille back shortly which is really good news

My wife's health has been up and down but she's still kicking

All of my animals are doing pretty well (I'm owned by a lot of reptiles)

My job is so-so but I've still got it and it pays the bills more or less (usually less!)

I didn't get out and about too much but I did get to catch The Brian Setzer Orchestra which was a good time

and 2014 will be better.

I'm starting it out by spending my tax refund on my Lucille (YAY!) and am taking the wife to catch Dweezil Zappa do the Roxy Turns 40 tour.

If I'm very lucky I'll also be able to pick up an old tobacco sunburst Les Paul Special with P100s around summer time.

It'll be a good year, I hope it proves to be a good one for everybody here, too.

2012 was a really bad year for me.. lost my kitty and by the end of the year had been unemployed for the whole year...

Still unemployed this year BUT its this time last year that I started making guitars which ive been doing for most of 2013, had a GREAT project in July/August (the LP Junior)but as of yet am still slogging along to get a guitar totally finished...

So its been a year of hard work and learning.. hopefully it will pay off in 2014 :)

So have a great one all... Lets hope its a gooden [thumbup]

I voted GREAT.

I'm still above ground, have my health and am enjoying life generally, though not enjoying getting old; still have a job, don't know how long for, but it pays the bills.

I got a new guitar, practiced a lot and got a bit better.

Also enjoyed my LP greatly every time I picked it up.

Had an excellent summer! Plus - saw a couple of good gigs and played a couple too!

To call it crappy would be an understatement! We lost my Father-in-law after a one year, two day battle with Lung Cancer, the day after he died we had to put our dog down and the cherry on top? Two days before Christmas, after multiple appeals, our health insurance refused to allow us to use our infertility coverage!

2013, don't go away mad - just go AWAY! (To borrow from Motley Crue!)

Not good. We have a severely autistic daughter who is now 17. It's like looking after a toddler who will never grow up. We're both suffering from acute stress reaction because of it. Gotta grab the odd bit of happiness in trivial things like guitars, music, football, whatever.

I can't be the only one with a disabled child - feel free to talk. It helps sometimes.

Mrs.B. was embolysm free all year, no deaths in the family or close friends, still have our home, our vehicles and a good job.

my annual profit share was less than i'd hoped but more than I expected, but my employer has stopped paying for my life insurance, transferring that cost to me.

no raise but no increase in my health insurance premiums.

lost a good dog to a pack of coyotes and layed in the floor holding him as he died, breaking my heart....1st time i've cried that hard in years.

was able to buy a '62/50 Sheraton (which i'd prayed they'd do a run of) and a new Guild A-150 Savoy archtop.

overall, looking at the big picture it was a GOOD year!

Not so good, not so bad.I have learned not to expect much out of life, it is what it is...Our black lab died, but our young poodle terrier mix is doing well. Then two weeks ago one of my best friends fell over dead walking into his kitchen to get some coffee. But he was 85 and had lived an extraordinary life, he had been blind for the past 9 years and couldn't fly his airplane anymore or use his boat, but he enjoyed life right to the end and never spent more then one night in a hospital.My great niece had a health baby boy! SomI now have five great great nephews and nieces, that is cool.Our house was heavily damaged by a freak hail storm but our home owners insurance will pay for all the repairs. Then a few month ago I has bad chest pains and dizziness, I went to the ER, and everything checked out, went through a stress test and that was ok. So .... Not so good, not so bad. RIP Mandy and Dave...

I voted MEH. The negatives are: Had some crappy gigs, lost one of my uncles, the country continues to go down the toilet, bridges were burned, found that my Strat needs a new neck, what not......

The positives: I am still alive, I continue to progress as a player and singer, had some "I told you so" moments when the NSA scandal was exposed, had some good gigs, seen some good shows, blah blah blah.

It was the worst year of my life. My dad died. My dog died. I have a slipped disc and I've had a knee op. I've avoided bankruptcy by the skin of my teeth. I've lost 7 months off work and I'm self employed and live on my own. Need I add more?

I will add..my dog dying 6 weeks ago has given me more pain than I have ever experienced. She was my world. The loss I feel is unexplainable and the feeling of not wanting to go on gets greater. So. 2014? We'll see.

It was the worst year of my life. My dad died. My dog died. I have a slipped disc and I've had a knee op. I've avoided bankruptcy by the skin of my teeth. I've lost 7 months off work and I'm self employed and live on my own. Need I add more?

I will add..my dog dying 6 weeks ago has given me more pain than I have ever experienced. She was my world. The loss I feel is unexplainable and the feeling of not wanting to go on gets greater. So. 2014? We'll see.

don't despair old mate........

when you've reached bottom, there's nowhere to go but upward.

wishing you, and everyone, a better 2014 !

Well, I lost my job, doesn't look like there's another one because of my health. They fouled up an hernia surgery, had to rework three days later in late 2012, but the mess they made became obvious in mid 2013 eventually. [thumbdn]

As an amateur singer/songwriter, bad luck gives me lots of inspirations, and so I needed some new tools to translate my songs to sound. So I bought eighteen guitars and five basses, mostly some of which I was already dreaming for twenty-six to forty years. The good thing is that they're all keepers but sadly I don't know how long I will be able to keep them, and there are quite a few rare and limited ones... [wub]

I was divorced and had to move. My son shares the small dwell with me, my daughter lives at my ex-wife. B)

The best things in 2013 were the school leaving certificate of my son, and that we found a fine car repair shop for him serving his apprenticeship. [thumbup] However, the dealer where I am regular customer since thirty-four years is a bit jealous: The repair shop teaching my son is three time the distance away from me but also an authorized Ford dealer, and the biggest one around here as well as having a very good reputation. :rolleyes: ;)

My former wife and me will have to sell the dwell of which she owns 71% and I own 29% on theory, but in fact it is owned by the bank. :unsure: So it depends on the price if there will be something left, and how much it will be. I hope that with a little money I will have time and chances for another hernia surgery and a few dental surgeries. At least I keep on dreaming of regaining good health and having a chance to go to work again. [-o<

So my vote is MEAH from my present point of view. [unsure] However, until now it always turned out fine for me in the long run, so I guess there's still some hope left... [biggrin]

I would go with very good.

My oldest daughter graduated college from WIU and found a great job with Hilton.My other

daughter will start college at University Of Florida or Florida State in the fall. My business has made an incredible leap forward and we are all healthy. Now if I could just make money on Sonos I would be all set.....that was for you Aster, thanks for your help!

Oh and I cant forget out new Golden Retriever Kelli.

Happy New Year to all

Not good. We have a severely autistic daughter who is now 17. It's like looking after a toddler who will never grow up. We're both suffering from acute stress reaction because of it. Gotta grab the odd bit of happiness in trivial things like guitars, music, football, whatever.

I can't be the only one with a disabled child - feel free to talk. It helps sometimes.

Andy,

I have a friend since grade school with an autistic son. Last year, now that he was 18-19 I think, they had to make the gut cutting decision for him to move into a group home. Very rough on them, he adapted okay and maybe even better now that he has some "work" I guess. The side effect however cut them hard once again. He excepted the new place but didn't need them any more. Kind of like he could only handle one or the other (having interest, such that it would be, for parents or new caretakers). Strange affliction to deal with.

I will add..my dog dying 6 weeks ago has given me more pain than I have ever experienced. She was my world. The loss I feel is unexplainable and the feeling of not wanting to go on gets greater.

Lash....as a dog breeder & exhibitor, my dogs are my best friends....my family..... and I've lost a few of them in a short time..... two in 2013.... and I well know your loss and your pain.

However, remember, that dogs & cats are designed to live for a shorter period of time than are we. Sometimes it's more cruel for pets to outlive their human friends.

It's the right thing for pets to go before we do, in my opinion.

I'm no longer young, and have set aside a substantial amount of money in our family trust to take care of my dogs once we're gone, (our only son is allergic to dogs).

But I hope that is never necessary. I want them all to go before me, as painful as that will be.

Bender,

It's tough enough losing a dog friend when they have to go peacefully. My heart goes out to you on your lose. Great on your wife, job and the 2 new gits!!

jaxson

Sorry about your pup and friend too!! Could only hope I can go like that and to have found happiness with all the trouble your pal faced. Been there, done that with the ER deal. At that time, per-cardiac virus I had, it was too damn much stress. Work on that is what I'd recommend. Been there done that with our house. Major damage with an ice dam with some mold damage. Ins. did cover all but about $800 (they picked up about $56K). THAT WAS STRESSFUL with the roof off (you could see sky some days, and all the dust (not good for me either). Got thru it, nice home again. [thumbup]

Kaleb

With you on most of what you say, less the Strat neck as both mine are good. SO I'M GRATEFUL OF THAT TOO. May have to upgrade me to GOOOD. Naw, still MEAH [biggrin]

Iashurst

Sorry about your DAD & pouch too. Lost both my a few months apart 2010 & 2011. My Dad was my best friend. Our dog I still think of about every day and it's been 3 yrs. Best bud's are hard to part with. His great nephew & great great nephew are helping with the empty feeling. They try really hard. Had a blown disk several years ago and that hurts like hell. Physical pain in its self drove me to the edge a few times, but I will tell you IT DOES GET BETTER. I wish you good things and a job for 2014. Bankruptcy isn't the end of things. Been very close myself in years gone buy when starting my business (now coming up 30 yrs ago in Jan). Walt Disney went under at least 2 times, totally belly up. Look how that turned out cuz he never gave up on keeping on. Hang in there!! [thumbup] [thumbup] Been at rock bottom a couple of times. It does get much much better. Just come out swing'n every day and never give up.

Capmaster

My wish & hope is for you to find some meaningful work, meaningful TO YOU!! Also that you body can get patched back up properly. Dang, why do the Dr's & Dentists not have to produce a product that is a positive outcome? If we build their home theater, and it don't work right or not the way they'd like it, I'm sure they wouldn't pay the bill. Why do we have to pay for just the ATTEMPT on their part with treatment? [confused]

Did that with the guitars a few years back when it was touch & go with my lungs/heart. Hang in there with the split too. It gets rough. When I get down I always think about our fore-fathers with having the perils & physical threats in their lives every day. They didn't give up and fought the good fight & did what they had to to live. I don't EVER have that kind of strife to deal with so it helps me to put my big boy pants on each day when I feel like things are tough.

Mark

Glad things are going will with the business and thanks for the note. Things are so much better in 2012 & 13 business wise than anytime since the Home crunch in late 2007. So I'm grateful of that. Business is slowly coming back to us but it has been with almost above ability efforts to grab it back. Think NUVO wireless maybe look to that and use SONOS to sell off of!!! [biggrin] [biggrin]

I vote Meah. Dad's leukemia is advancing rapidly and he probably saw his last Christmas. There were some positives too. We're keeping our heads above water financially and I managed to add a new guitar and bass to the stable. Work is going well and we'll be busy for the foreseeable future. Here's hoping 2014 is a good one for everyone.

I voted it as a "good" year…

The main reason for my vote was for the fact that, after a long and frustrating 3-year search (with an unsatisfying 1-year temp gig, where my talents were never appreciated, thrown in between) for a full-time job, I finally landed a great gig in April. Unemployment was "fun" for a while—it was great to get a breather, and re-fuel. But after over two years with no prospects, it was getting scary.

So, that alone made it a good year. I mean, every years has got its ups and downs. But I categorize 2013 as a "good" year. I am aiming for "great" in 2014.

Happy New Years, everyone!!!

Archived