Gibson Brands Forums

Was this a good trade

Dbt25677

Depends on condition and specs but all being equal the LP junior could be worth a couple hundred more.

Depending on year and model, the Les Paul Jr could be worth a couple hundered to several thousand more.

I've never seen Mexican Strat fetch more than a few hundred bucks, but I've seen hundreds of vintage Les Paul Jr's in the 4 to 5-digit dollar numbers.

Let us know more about the LP Jr.

Guest Farnsbarns

I got the LPJ. It had the certificate of authenticity so I know that it's legit.

It's a 2010 model.

The strat was a 2012/13 model (I think).

Erm... I'm usually wrong when something like this comes up, but I don't think a 2010 LPJ came with a COA...?

Erm... I'm usually wrong when something like this comes up, but I don't think a 2010 LPJ came with a COA...?

I'm usually wrong about this kind of stuff, but I don't think the LPJ Existed in 2010. This topic started as Mexi Strat versus Les Paul Junior for value, but now it's LPJ.

Assuming it's just the OP mixing up the names, either there's something fishy going on or the OP scored a CS Les Paul Junior by some incredible luck.

-Ryan

Yes, I'm a bit cornfused too.

So, if it is a 2010, could it be something like a Billie Jo Armstrong model? Did they make them in 2010 and did they come with some sort of COA?

They didn's start making the Les Paul "J" model until 2013, so I think the OP is using LPJ as an abbreviation for Les Paul Jr. which he originally typed.

I would consider any Gibson branded Les Paul in trade for any Mexican strat a good trade.

I have a Mexican Strat that I would put up against some of the very best Fender put out. I kept it in favour of an MIA Deluxe Strat.......so, my view is, if the Mexican Strat was a good one, it'd be a nigh on impossible decision to call as to if it was a good trade or not.

I have a Mexican Strat that I would put up against some of the very best Fender put out. I kept it in favour of an MIA Deluxe Strat.......so, my view is, if the Mexican Strat was a good one, it'd be a nigh on impossible decision to call as to if it was a good trade or not.

I agree. Despite of the LP Junior/LPJ confusion, it always depends on the particular instruments. The four custom modified Fender MIM Strats of mine are nice guitars as well as my Gibson LPs are. The rest is a question of strings and setup.

I'm talking resale market value. My current guitar stable includes three Gibsons and one Fender American and one Mexican Strat. Value of most any Gibson will likely be better than any MIM Strat. Personal feelings about how a MIM Strat feels or sounds are hard to sell in a used market filled with $200 Strats. Craigslist in any city will show that. Hard to find any Gibson used for much less than $400.

Archived