Gibson Brands Forums

AJ200 is going to be a legend

maff

Every once in a while a guitar manufacturer hits onto something and produces a bonza instrument, at the time they don't know they did it because only time will tell with any guitar. With the AJ200 in think they didn't know at the time what they had produced and if they did they would have more than doubled the price. I think they produced a cheap affordable guitar with decent specs and didn't realize what they'd achieved. This model is going to be a legend in the years to come especially when these solid tops start to mature into something even more beautiful. When they stop making them, you won't be able to get hold of them because they will be like rocking horse droppings, mark my words.

Shhhhhh...! lol! ...Whenever Epiphone finds out it has a hit on its hands, it usually discontinues them! ...Masterbilts...Eliteist....next the AJ-220 ?? ...My guess is that they won't be around long. Maybe a year or two at most..then like all other good Epiphones...they could VANISH..without warning or explanation. Buy two while you still can. Epiphone seldom keeps a good thing going for long. That's why I bought three Masterbilts before they were banished. My AJ-220sce is one of my favorite guitars..it is just a sweetheart of a guitar. I really must get a second one, perhaps I'll add the AJ-220 non cut away, because while the magicians at Epiphone know how to pull a rabbit out of a hat...they also know how to pull the rug out from under a hit guitar! ...Gibson Hummingbird once had stellar sales, till they turned what was once a classic and delicious true Cherry burst color into a snoozer drab brown.... and charges a uncool $3100 for it..... Even the Epi Hummingbird color looks better, but they have tampered with that as well distorting the cherry into some ridiculous looking orange color. The 220's are changing as well...I've seen more than one 220 with non wooden necks, bad saddles, and poor discolored, stained tops with run out, and warped necks...that means 220's are being degraded, which means they will be discontinued in my view.

If Gibson finds out you are praising the AJ200 its gone so SHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Oh I think they are smarter than meets the eye, their customer feedback will already be rocking the boat and by the sounds of it they are already lowering the specs to bring this model down a few pegs. In all honesty I think they have shot themselves in the foot and already know it, its been over two years now. Who would buy a Texan or Hummingbird when this baby sounds just as good for half the money? The promotional video's such as this say it all:

I think they'll stop production or severely cripple the specs, its the solid spruce top and mahogany sides that will be replaced IMO.

Yes indeed these babies would be very good for thrice the price. I must get a sunburst soon before they all go!!

I'm not so sure about that, you can certainly get a lot of guitar for your dollar at the $299 price tag... but that goes for just about any brand out there today. Nothing special here except poor performances by hollywood castoffs and Dr. Epiphone.

I didn't say anything bad about the guitar, if you guys think you underpaid for the guitar maybe you should have offered more when you were standing next to the cash register. Like I said you get a lot for your money, but that goes for just about any brand out there and I wouldn't think that brand loyalty runs deep at that price range.

• 2 months later...

What's the difference between the 200 and the 220? Anything significant? To me, they look like the same model just different numbers.

While it is the same model as the 200....The 220 is different in that it has a cut away...it also has a pick up and built in tuner. Both are round shoulder guitars. So if you need a guitar with a cutaway and an electrified guitar then the 220 is for you...if you like one without a cut away...and does not have a pick up or tuner..then the 200 is for you! Both play and sound above average for their price point.

While it is the same model as the 200....The 220 is different in that it has a cut away...it also has a pick up and built in tuner. Both are round shoulder guitars. So if you need a guitar with a cutaway and an electrified guitar then the 220 is for you...if you like one without a cut away...and does not have a pick up or tuner..then the 200 is for you! Both play and sound above average for their price point.

Thanks GL. I understand what your saying but here is the link to the 220s. When doing a google search for the 200s, the same link will come up but it shows the 220. Other sources on the 200 show the guitar is made with the same woods, tuners etc. etc. as the aj 220. I was curious as to why they bothered with a 220 model if it's the same as the aj 200?

My link

Heck, I would rather play my block letter logo Harmony Sovereign than the highest dollar Taylor ever made.

On the other hand, I would not go as far as to think of an AJ200 as a legend in the making. But I surely do appreciate the fact that a guitar can take hold of you and shake you around like that.

Archived