Gibson Brands Forums

Amp questions for my Gibson LP's

wickedout

Hi there. What amps are some of you using? Tube or solid state? I'm in the market of getting me a new amp. Currently I practice on a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 20W combo! I like it but want something different likely tube! So I was just wondering what you guy's use for practice and gigs? Thanks guys!

Well, after 35 years of playing and trying of a lot of different gears i´ve settled with tube amps only.

My back is hurting me so i looked for a suitable solid state amp, but for me they don´t do what i want them to do, i´m sure they works fine for Jazzplayers and the like but... not for blues and Rock´n´roll, not for me anyway.

Back in the days i used big marshalls, voxes and Fenders but nowadays i don´t need to move that much air. And i want to have my hearing intact when i´m getting old :-)

Tube amps give me that 3-D tone with lots of overtones that i want and at low wattage i can even crank them to breakup level at home.

A very affordable "modern" tube amp is the Vox AC15C1, nice chime on the normal channel and creamy leads on the top bost channel, great tube driven tremolo, a useful reverb and the greenback speaker for around 600 US-bux. Yes, Made in China, but the Chinese builders have learn their lesson.

So, after 3 years of use i haven´t have any problem at all, just a great reliable wonderful sounding tube amp, i have had vintage Voxes as i said above and this one sound as good or even better, recommended! It even handle club gigs with a drummer excellent at 15 watts.

At home and in the studio i use the mentioned Vox but i have 3, chosen for their particular tone, 5-6 watt tube amps, a ´73 Fender bronco for it´s legendary Fender tone (Clapton and other legendary guitarists used Fender champ amps for recording back in the days) a ´62 Silvertone for it´s singing bright, harmonica-like tone, and a Harley benton GA5 for it´s chunky Gibson tone.

So, if you want a new amp, try the AC15!

Vintage choices are many, they´re not as recent modelling amp that get you a diversity of wannabee tones, they give you the real tone but just the particular one.

If you are a Jazzplayer or a metalhead i really can´t recommend anything, cause i know nothing about that.

The guy I jam with cranks his LP through a Marshall JCM900/1960a amp/cab combo. It's an insanely good rig, too loud for any bedroom (and most gigs), but the sound is absolutely awesome. It'll cost you though.

I use a Fender Mustang III solid state at home, and I love it. Mess around with the dials and models and you can get some really great sounds for not too much.

I use a Mesa Dual Rectifier for gigs but that amp requires it to be LOUD for it to open up but it does sound great for hard rock. I practice on a 15 year old Crate solid state 15 watt POS. I'm saving some money for a nice low watt tube amp like the Vox AC15 mentioned earlier in this thread. That amp sounds great.

New to Electrics but I got a Fender Mustang I v2 for practicing at home. It's a nice little amp with some neat modeling features and the price was very good. Small enough to bring to friend's houses and move around easily but the sound is very good, especially in the clean channels which is where I am most of the time. The ability to create your own model or download pre-configured ones is pretty cool too.

I'm sure some of the folks here that have been playing electrics for a while will have some good options for you...

-Jim

if you live near an authorized Line 6 repair facility (as I do) and don't perform anymore...the Bogner Alchemist is an incredibly versatile and simple amp...great tonal qualities across the spectrum (chimes and growls). Weighs a ton...so I'd get the head with separate 2x12 cab. Yes, mine's in the shop again....channel switch died. I agree with the Vox AC15 or 30...and my next amp will likely be a Fender Deville 2x12 with Celestions. The older Mesa Nomad (2x12 combo) are also excellent...may offer to buy my buddy's.

I'm looking at the Vox AC15 Custom tube or the new Marshall DSL15C 1x12" 15-Watt 2-Channel Tube! Both sound amazing! Which does one go for? I don't play in gigs anymore! I just riff with buddies and have fun. But the Solid states are just not tube amps! But the sound of a tube is way rich and just beautiful to any solid state amp. [smile]

I am very happy with a Mesa Lonestar Special Head plus 2x12 cabinet.

I can choose between 5, 15 and 30 watts. Great sound, very easy to lug around.

In addition I use a Vox AC15C1 which is an excellent amp and has great tone.

Most of the time I have them hooked up both to get a big wall of sound.

Amp/guitar combination depends on what music you play, venues you play, and more importantly what you like.

I have amps from 15 Watters to 4x12 Marshalls; and in the past years have come to enjoy my two Fender Blues Juniors. It's great for studio work and small venues (250 ppl clubs). Plus they're easy to transport! [thumbup]

Egnater 40w all tube Tweaker Combo re-speakered with a Ted Weber speaker, and a 1x12 ext. cab. with a Ted Weber speaker.

Amp/guitar combination depends on what music you play, venues you play, and more importantly what you like.

I have amps from 15 Watters to 4x12 Marshalls; and in the past years have come to enjoy my two Fender Blues Juniors. It's great for studio work and small venues (250 ppl clubs). Plus they're easy to transport! [thumbup]

I'm a heavy metal guy with some classic rock. But blues is another thing I love as well. I love all types of music! Right now I'm leaning towards the Marshall DSL15C. What's really nice is that both can be hooked up to a cabinet if I do that in the future. Is that what combo means?

I'm a heavy metal guy with some classic rock. But blues is another thing I love as well. I love all types of music! Right now I'm leaning towards the Marshall DSL15C. What's really nice is that both can be hooked up to a cabinet if I do that in the future. Is that what combo means?

Combo just means amp and speaker(s) in the same cabinet, as opposed to separate amp head and speaker cabinet.

Blackstar HT Stage 60 here, love it. It produces lovely clean tones and the OD1 channel is fantastic. My "sound" is fairly low gain so I don't really use the OD2 channel much but it does sound great.

Very manageable at low volumes too, and it really emphasises the differences between my guitars. Highly recommended :)

Combo just means amp and speaker(s) in the same cabinet, as opposed to separate amp head and speaker cabinet.

I just saw a YouTube video where this one guy had the valve and solid state Marshall amps running with cabinets. So could I do this with either the Marshall or VOX?

I just saw a YouTube video where this one guy had the valve and solid state Marshall amps running with cabinets. So could I do this with either the Marshall or VOX?

Yes you can use an external speaker...just make sure your external speaker cabinet has the right OHM...it will sound fuller. The only problem is that your 15 Watt amp will not make use of the speaker's "sweet spot". Depending on speakers in the cab, each of the speaker could be rated for 40 Watts or more.

If you play very heavy metal that requires the low percussive power "thumps", you might as well buy a separate amp(50Watts) and a 4x12 speaker cabinet for the low's. That will quench your desire for the heavy metal sound. Marshall amps by the way are more rock sounding than heavy.

Go to the local guitar store and try various amps within your budget and also consider used mint equipment.

...have fun and good luck on your journey searching for your "tone".

LOL [biggrin] , "yer old rocker"

Yes you can use an external speaker...just make sure your external speaker cabinet has the right OHM...it will sound fuller. The only problem is that your 15 Watt amp will not make use of the speaker's "sweet spot". Depending on speakers in the cab, each of the speaker could be rated for 40 Watts or more.

If you play very heavy metal that requires the low percussive power "thumps", you might as well buy a separate amp(50Watts) and a 4x12 speaker cabinet for the low's. That will quench your desire for the heavy metal sound. Marshall amps by the way are more rock sounding than heavy.

Go to the local guitar store and try various amps within your budget and also consider used mint equipment.

...have fun and good luck on your journey searching for your "tone".

LOL [biggrin] , "yer old rocker"

Thanks for the great insight! I'm talking Rock n Roll and maybe a little metal head stuff. I want to be able to riff some AC/DC, Kiss, G&R and some Led Zeppelin just to name a few! I'm search of a good amount of sound with some great tone for my garage and my friends studio. I'm not going on tour anytime soon either. Just love to play and talk the history of rock with my family, friends and especially my daughter. Thanks again everyone!

I believe it is best you check it out for yourself. Since I use emulations since many years, I don't have a special tip for you. However, I think it is useful having an amp with a nice clean channel and either a very flexible overdrive channel, or two overdrive channels providing separate crunch and high-gain settings.

By the way, good amps serve well for all kinds of electric guitars in my opinion.

Vox Valvetronic (not loud enough for jam sessions - 60 watts)

Fender Mustang III V2 (because 100 watts because others play too loud - at least as I am concerned which I really don't much care about anymore).

[mellow]

Any other amp will have to be looked up to see what they are and price.

Hi there. What amps are some of you using? Tube or solid state? I'm in the market of getting me a new amp. Currently I practice on a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 20W combo! I like it but want something different likely tube! So I was just wondering what you guy's use for practice and gigs? Thanks guys!

There's a nice 30watt Tubescreamer head or combo out by Ibanez (Japanese). 6L6x2, 12ax7x2 and the tubescreamer pedal is built in! They're cathode biased so you can change brands of 6l6 power or 12ax7 preamp tubes without rebiasing. Other more powerful or more expensive amps with different types of biasing are probably best serviced by a professional when changing tubes. Tubes compared to solid state are something like a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of loudness depending on all things considered like type and efficiency of drivers you use. That's like a 30 watt tube amp might keep up with a 90 or 100 watt solid state amp (but they are different kind of sound waves too). I'm using the Ibanez TSA15 with two 12" cabs, a 30 and an 80 watt driver. Low powered tube amps such as the 15 watt will get to useable power, that is three quarters volume is loud enough to draw noise complaints. I find more powerful amps like a 40 watt cannot be turned up loud enough to utilize the natural breakup (unless you live in an empty garage). I'd say 15 watts tube, flat out is just enough to get there with bass and drums ... you will want more power though.

Consider what kind of sound you want to go for, American (Fender) or British (Marshall), or there's Japanese or Chinese or whatever, but Fender and Marshall as two distinct sounding amps is a good place to start.

Vox Valvetronic (not loud enough for jam sessions - 60 watts)

Fender Mustang III V2 (because 100 watts because others play too loud - at least as I am concerned which I really don't much care about anymore).

[mellow]

Any other amp will have to be looked up to see what they are and price.

I'm leaning towards the Marshall DSL C15 or C40! Both have what I want and need! I tried out the amp (C40) out last night and it was amazing sounding! The 15C is out the door $600! The 40C is out the door $700! Not a bad deal for a crisp clean or a crunchy/dirty sound!

I'm looking at the Vox AC15 Custom tube or the new Marshall DSL15C 1x12" 15-Watt 2-Channel Tube! Both sound amazing! Which does one go for? I don't play in gigs anymore! I just riff with buddies and have fun. But the Solid states are just not tube amps! But the sound of a tube is way rich and just beautiful to any solid state amp. [smile]

I've got the Marshall DSL15c, and I LOVE it!!! [thumbup]

It's a bit more amp than needed for playing at home, and if you live in an apartment you're really going to need to keep it low. For just getting together with some friends and jamming it's awesome. If you're going to gig go for the 40 watt version, IMHO.

While all my Gibson's sound great with this amp, my SG Standard with the 490/498 pick up combo just freakin' smokes through this amp!

Archived