Gibson Brands Forums

SG's: The Devil Is In The Detail

06sg

When I say "rolled", I mean the sharp right angle is "softened" just enough to smooth the edge without sacrificing any fretboard real estate, sort of like the high end PRS's. I'm thinking you're referring to a rolling like Fender does on its fingerboards, which in my humble opinion is a little too much, especially in their higher end models. 

10 hours ago, msaint said:

I just purchased a brand new Gibson SG Standard Bass in ebony for $1500, but actually $1700 with tax and handling fees when all was said and done, and I must say that I'm really fuming that the fretboard edges are right angled and sharp and not rolled. I have twenty six Gibsons ranging from the economically faded SG and LP studios, to a 1958 LP. With the exception of the '58 and several other of the older models, the fretboards are either rolled or at least the sharp edges are dulled. However, this new Bass' fingerboard doesn't even pretend to be anything other than a sharp knife in the hand. I'm really tired of the way Gibson consistently chooses to screw its customers around and around, and at the very highest prices at that! I'm through with them forever, unless they make a guitar with a vagina on it, and it better be a good one too.

I also purchased a 2019 Blonde Guild Starfire VI for $1400 that puts all Gibsons, I've ever seen and played (I'm 75 years old and played the chittlin circuit during the early 1960', and later a studio rat for Capital and Decca) including the ES-355 to shame IN EVERY WAY! And it's Korean manufactured. Far better quality, infinitely superior playability, infinitely superior pups, and infinitely superior tonal quality. Sounds like heaven through any kind of amp or pedal too, and they make Gibsons look, sound and play like garbage. Since I first picked the Starfire VI up and played it, I haven't even thought about a Gibson. I'm going to sell them all and just get several more Guilds, they're so much more superior in every way.

well go to the Guild forums and sing their praises over there..  stop wasting your time here... 

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, msaint said:

I'm really tired of the way Gibson consistently chooses to screw its customers around and around, and at the very highest prices at that! I'm through with them forever, unless they make a guitar with a vagina on it, and it better be a good one too.

This thread stared in 2013, but if they start making electric guitars with vagina's on em, I'm gonna start playing electrics again.

When you say it better be a good one are you talking about the guitar or the vagina?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

I can't say I've ever encountered a bad vagina.  Bad people with vaginas, yes.

I also can't say I've ever heard anyone say a Guild electric from Korea was super wonderful but whatever makes you happy.

BadBluesPlayer had one for a while but I think he sold it off if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure his didn't have a vagina on it, maybe that's what did it.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This thread stared in 2013, but if they start making electric guitars with vagina's on em, I'm gonna start playing electrics again.

When you say it better be a good one are you talking about the guitar or the vagina?

Lol, the vag of course.

A vagina on a guitar... I like my guitars but not where I want to F them. That’s what I do with vaginas... not with a guitar. Oh man imagine the issues that guitar will give you once a month until it hits menopause. Then it’s vintage! What a way to redefine binding bleed!

Edited by NighthawkChris

11 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

A vagina on a guitar... I like my guitars but not where I want to F them. That’s what I do with vaginas... not with a guitar. Oh man imagine the issues that guitar will give you once a month until it hits menopause. Then it’s vintage! What a way to redefine binding bleed!

Didn't Jimi Hendrix hump his guitar or was it his amp?

53 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

@Sgt Pepper from what I found he was making love to his amp. That’s ok though when Jimi does it. I once knew a guy in high school who tripped on so much acid he F’ed a couch. You don’t want to be called or known as a couch f’er. 

I hope Jimi was making sweet sweet love to his amp and not just ramming it in there like a heathen.

I've done the nasty on a couch, but have intercourse with the couch . . . nope.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@Sgt Pepper from what I found he was making love to his amp. That’s ok though when Jimi does it. I once knew a guy in high school who tripped on so much acid he F’ed a couch. You don’t want to be called or known as a couch f’er. 

Yes, Jimi was humping his amp, but he had to quit.  His couch found out and threatened to cut him off.