Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson lp 60s tribute vs lp studio 2014

hoross

I played over the years many Gibson les pauls i admit the best i ever had was a classic antique unfortunately i needed the money and had to sell it.I struggled to find a good one and i had an lpj recently but sold it and tried a 60s tribute which was very cool and i saw an lp studio 2014.I was wondering cause its maybe 20 dollars difference between these two which one would you choose?

Well, I'm sure you are more experienced then I am with electrics, I've been playing acoustic for 6 years or so, but a few weeks ago I had the same choice and picked up a very nice 2013 Les Paul 60s tribute in vintage sunburst. I liked the Burstbucker 1 and 2 over the 490s on the studio and the Grovers on the Tribute felt a little more solid to me, though the Kluson's (I think they were Kluson's) weren't bad at all. The feel between the 60's Tribute and the new studio was very similar. The studio may have ben a few ounces lighter. Build quality was very similar between them. The biggest plus to the 2014 Studio was the coil taps give you a few more options to your sound.

The price difference was quite a bit more then $20 though, over $200 less for the 60's Tribute which i liked better anyway!

There are a lot of deals on the Tributes right now as it's the end of the year. The down side of that is finding them is tougher and color choices are limited. The sunburst is nice if you can find it...

Good luck with the search...

-Jim

I have a 60s Tribute goldtop.. one of the first run with the light back...

Is it one of the P90 ones or one of the new Tribute models with humbuckers?

I think they are bloody great for the price..

IMG_0191_zpsed17afe3.jpg

Yes my friend i ordered a Gibson lp studio 2014 desertburst i tried one in the shop but not the colour i wanted really much better then a 60s tribute and closer to a standard. [thumbup]

Don't forget the pics when it arrives. otherwise it never happened :)

-Jim

I had the 1950's tribute in honeyburst and it was a good guitar as far as quality goes. I guess I must have gotten a dud due to the fact that my guitar did not have that tone I was looking for. I sold her and got me one of the new 2014 desertburst studio's and could not be happier. This guitar has everything that I need and love in a guitar. The PLEK setup is awesome right out of the box.

Alrite i ppromised a pic of my new Gibson les paul studio 2014 there u go folks and yes its indeed much better then a 60s tribute and the LPJ models.

People who tell they are the same dont know nothing about guitars. [cursing]

Nice! I like that burst....

The LPJ is definitely not the same as a Studio or a Tribute from the ones I've seen. The Tribute is much closer to the Studio though (they are brothers, the LPJ is a cousin LOL).

The new Studio I think gets some better top wood then the tribute ( I've never seen them say if the tops on the Tributes are graded ). I found the build quality between the tribute and Studio to be about on par ( if the one instance of the new Studio I've seen live is representative :) ). The LPJ's quality seems to be a bit lower (rougher sanding and much less time spent on the finish.).

Good choice, play it in health [thumbup]

-Jim

Thanks Jim i really appreciate.

Believe me i play 25 years guitars and ive had great guitars such an LP Standard and an LP CLASSIC ANTIQUE,LPJ and a 60s tribute.

I must say that new studio 2014 is closer to a standard and is a great guitar really she is a beauty the finish is vintage gloss but really u could see Gibson had made big improvements. [thumbup]

Alrite i ppromised a pic of my new Gibson les paul studio 2014 there u go folks and yes its indeed much better then a 60s tribute and the LPJ models.

People who tell they are the same dont know nothing about guitars. [cursing]

Honest request, please fill me in on how the studio is much better. I have a 60s tribute now and a Les Paul sig t arriving here Monday, looking forward to comparing these 2 myself but I don't see getting a studio in here to compare.

tia!

I have the same problem, I like to gold top colour of 60's, but I don't know which one to choose 60's tribute or studio (100$ difference), I've ruled out the LPJ option.

Although I am inclined towards the 60's, I'm not really sure.

Do you think that the studio is better quality, or they are similar? Also, the recent 60's tribute come without pickguard, is it possible to put it?

Well, biggest differences I saw were that the top on the studio had some figure to it, the Tributes seemed to all have little to no flaming, Birdseye or quilting. The studios fit and finish seemed the same as the Tributes to me. Maybe a little shinier but still very thin and not anywhere near a high gloss finish. The LPJ finish is very flat, no gloss to it at all. Also the neck on the LPJ felt a little rougher to me then either the Tribute or the Studio.

Pickups are personal taste, I liked the BB1 & BB2 combo a little better then the 490r/490t combo on the Studio , the BBs sound a little meatier in the mids to me, but there was nothing wrong with the 490s and I probably would have been fine with either choice of pickup. The feel of the neck was almost the same on both, the studio may have been very slightly more grabby but not enough that I really noticed. Studio felt maybe a couple of ounces lighter then the Tribute. Pick guard on the Studio, no pick guard on the Tribute. If you like the pick guard it's easily added and fairly inexpensive. Doesn't really matter to me but some folks like them and some don't. I'm good either way.

Really if they were the same price the coil taps and figured top would have probably pushed me to the studio but I got a really good deal on the Tribute and didn't feel the Studio was a few hundred dollars better then the Tribute. As always YMMV, happy hunting-Jim

My 60s tribute les paul had flaws and some serious scratches on the neck so i shipped back to the guitarshop and i added 60 dollars more and ordered the new studio les paul.Honestly i played it today this one tops by far the lpj and the tributes really this guitar is closer to a standard or a classic antique then any of these guitars.Dont get me wrong the LPJ and the 60s tribute but to me the sound and the work is much better finished on the studios.

I'm starting to see where the thread starter is coming from. I received my LP signature traditional goldtop this morning and after playing it for the last 3+ hours I can say it is very much nicer than my 60s tribute goldtop. The finish, the extras such binding, etc. = wOW! Even the sustain is noticeably better. The tones are much different with the '57s than the burstbuckers, much less in your face, if that makes sense as a way to describe it.

There's not a single thing about it that's made me go hmmmmmmm...yet anyway, whilst the 60s tribute has a couple things like that.

I'm starting to see where the thread starter os coming from. I received my LP signature traditional goldtop this morning and after playing it for the last 3+ hours I can say it is very much nicer than my 60s tribute goldtop. The finish, the extras such binding, etc. = wOW! Even the sustain is noticeably better. The tones are much different with the '57s than the burstbuckers, much less in your face, if that makes sense as a way to describe it.

There's not a single thing about it that's made me go hmmmmmmm...yet anyway, whilst the 60s tribute has a couple things like that.

Well I supose that the difference between the tradtitional and the 60's tribute are like 1000$.

Well I supose that the difference between the tradtitional and the 60's tribute are like 1000$.

well, there is price comparison made in this thread. So in that regard, there's $500 difference between what I paid for my tribute and what I could buy a 2014 studio for.

Also, with the sig t, it comes with a hard case (~$200) the goldtop adds ~$150 + the binding, gloss finish (not sure of the cost on those), so just subtracting the hard case and the goldtop premium, that would conceivable price the sig t at $1150, only $150 more than the studio.

well, there is price comparison made in this thread. So in that regard, there's $500 difference between what I paid for my tribute and what I could buy a 2014 studio for.

Also, with the sig t, it comes with a hard case (~$200) the goldtop adds ~$150 + the binding, gloss finish (not sure of the cost on those), so just subtracting the hard case and the goldtop premium, that would conceivable price the sig t at $1150, only $150 more than the studio.

Yep, the Sig T is really nice. So is the Studio. Kind of wish I could have sprung the extra cash for the Sig T for the looks but I'm not regretting the Tribute at all. I'm just a hobby player so I don't need to look THAT cool while I am playing LOL.

Generally the lack of buyer's remorse is a good way to tell if you made the right choice. Hopefully if you are going to get that it'll happen before the return policy is up [laugh]

-Jim

Archived