Gibson Brands Forums

poor paint job again

Eades

A burst hides more faults than a solid colour thats why Gibson don't do many solid colours

Really? Apparently, my LP didn't get that memo...

LPBookmatching_zpsfa8bc8de.jpeg

I've kept it because it's very comfortable...great neck profile, not ridiculously heavy, etc. I eventually dropped Bare Knuckles' Stormy Monday & Mule pickups in it & a TundraTone vintage wiring harness. Now it sounds as sweet as it plays.

But cosmetically, I bought a new Gibson SGJ and an Epi LP Plus Top Pro (same color as the Gibson) in the past month and the build quality on both is WAY above this.

Sorry, I love Gibson guitars, but accepting the slipshod builds just sends the message that it's "OK" for them to ship this crap in the first place.

U.S list is our sales prices up here.. pending where the dollar is at.

Not to derail the thread...

I don't know where you are in Canada, but I pay nowhere near Gibson list price. Most shops are the same as the Musician's Friend prices and I've even gotten a few cheaper.

There was a period, several years ago, where every Gibson I saw, had "orange peel" in

places that should have been easy to polish out, but just wasn't. And, these were SG

Customs, Les Paul Customs, etc., not low end "faded" models, at all. So...??? :rolleyes:

CB

Some of my Gibsons have "orange peel," too. It seems to appear in particular on large, even mahogany surfaces with thick finish coats evening out fine pores. So I guess that variations of the overall texture of the timber surface might be left to affect the finish surface. I can't even touch the ripples but they are obvious when viewing against the light.

In my opinion, finish soakage and shrinkage may still happen to a certain degree after final polishing. Since most of these areas are transparent on my guitars, it is visible that there are tiny recesses where the grain is a more open one, and minor elevations where it is very fine.

However, it doesn't bug me anyhow although it will be visible forever since I always keep my beauties free from scratches, dings and dongs ;)

And, by the way, orange peel will never mar any real beauty... [biggrin]

• 2 months later...

I went through 4 bad paint jobs in white this time last year before I got a good one from Sheffield and the main problem on the white firebirds I looked at appart from a cracking in one body was marks that hadn't been polished out left by the DA sander like fine circles in the lacquer when held up to the light! Some of them were real rough! Is this a 2014 model your after dude?

Archived