Gibson Brands Forums

Major differences between a standard SJ and the Woody Guthrie model

mountainpicker

According to Don Ruffato when I bought mine in 2011, the Woody is essentially a J45 Standard in terms of woods and bracing. Sitka, mahogany, rosewood bridge and board. Standard bracing (not the advanced variety that is on the TV 45 and SJ). As Skeeter said, it has no neck binding, which is true to the 1945 SJ specs that the model is supposed to reproduce. It has 20 frets, though, which is not true to 1945 specs. It is cosmetically pretty true to a late Banner SJ. The internals are entirely modern Bozeman. It is not an exact reproduction of Woody Guthrie's own SJ - at least not of the famous one. That instrument was in circulation and photographed before 1945, John Thomas has even tracked it down to one of a couple sold in New York, and it had a rosewood back and sides, which make it a 1943 model.

I don't know what the specs of a current SJ Standard are. I didn't know there was an SJ Standard in the range at present. But I would imagine that it also has the innards of a J45 Standard, to differentiate it from the TV model. Presumably it has the big pickguard, belly-up bridge, MOP headstock inlays and neck binding, whereas the Woody has a teardrop tiger-stripe guard, belly-down bridge, scroll and banner headstock decals and no neck binding. None of the differences should really affect tone much. I don't think the belly-down bridge does. Having a bigger pickguard might, but probably not notably.

After nearly 3 years, I still love mine, even with the original strings (just pinged my second high E, but all the others are still going). Sounds and looks great. There are a few tiny finish imperfections which would probably drive AGF knockers for the smelling salts, but they have nothing to do with build quality or real cosmetic beauty for me. If you scroll through the threads or run a search on Mojorule here, you should find a few videos where you can get a decent sense of how mine sounds, despite my playing and ageing strings.

Essentially Mojo has laid it out for you. In short it's a dressed up J-45 model with an SJ designation, a darker burst and no real direct likeness to Guthrie's actual SJ at all. Lovely guitars actually. I had one for a while that I was extremely fond of. Sadly it had a small issue and was replaced for me by Gibson with a J-45 standard. I'd have had to wait 3-4 months at the time for a replacement Woody model or select from what was in stock. I tool the J-45 as it was a quicker replacement time. Soundwise my J-45 is not so different from the tone of the Woody.

Definitely check one out, lovely models

despite my playing and ageing strings.

Have you changed them all yet? Must be about 2.5 years or more now, eh?

Essentially Mojo has laid it out for you. In short it's a dressed up J-45 model with an SJ designation, a darker burst and no real direct likeness to Guthrie's actual SJ at all. Lovely guitars actually. I had one for a while that I was extremely fond of. Sadly it had a small issue and was replaced for me by Gibson with a J-45 standard. I'd have had to wait 3-4 months at the time for a replacement Woody model or select from what was in stock. I tool the J-45 as it was a quicker replacement time. Soundwise my J-45 is not so different from the tone of the Woody.

Definitely check one out, lovely models

Nah, the only one changed has been the high E which popped after about a year. The replacement has now popped, going on New Year's Day in fact, leaving me with 5 strings. I've got a whole pack of D'Addario 85-15s that came back with me from Hungary, but minus the one string I actually need right now. I think when I get into town for a high E, I might slap the whole set on. Give me a chance to change the battery as well.

After nearly 3 years, I still love mine, even with the original strings (just pinged my second high E, but all the others are still going). Sounds and looks great. There are a few tiny finish imperfections which would probably drive AGF knockers for the smelling salts, but they have nothing to do with build quality or real cosmetic beauty for me. If you scroll through the threads or run a search on Mojorule here, you should find a few videos where you can get a decent sense of how mine sounds, despite my playing and ageing strings.

WHOA, you've still got the same strings on the guitar after 3 years ( minus the E string) and it still makes sounds??? AMAZING!!!!! [scared]

Mojorule, on 03 January 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

WHOA, you've still got the same strings on the guitar after 3 years ( minus the E string) and it still makes sounds??? AMAZING!!!!! [scared]

I too am in awe...

After nearly 3 years, I still love mine, even with the original strings

No idea why, but didn't see the 3 years ref in the first post. Hats off dude, that's amazing. When you fully re-string that it's going to be like 10 NGDs in one go. The buzz will be massive. I'm envious.

I'd only had my J45 about 6 months when I stumbled onto a Woody SJ. 5 minutes in and I knew I had to have it...I worked out a trade with an Epiphone archtop I had and in about a week it was mine. I've had it right at a year now and still love playing it and the J45. I'm not sure how to describe it, the 2 guitars are a lot alike but very different in vibe and sound. The J45 works better for strumming and singing, and the SJ is better for more of a flatpicking style and old-time music. My brother plays old fiddle tunes and the SJ is the best guitar I have to accompany him. The tone is perfect for that.

I have a 2012 Woody , it is a monster guitar

I've had many J45's, this is different for sure, way better

the one difference I haven't seen pointed out between the Woody

and a standard Southern Jumbo is the finish

I think they call the Woody a VOS finish...

it is dulled on purpose, made to look like an older guitar

I really like the look......

so the standard model would be all shiny and new looking, with binding on the fretboard

I also like the unbound fingerboard, and the pickguard they put on the Woody

oh....by the way, I had a '57 J45 a little while back

I prefer the Woody by a long shot [thumbup]

Archived