Gibson Brands Forums

1978 Les paul custom

Mister P

Mail-order is a challenging way to choose your shoes, your wife, or your guitar.

That '78 in your picture looks just like my own '79 Custom, even the color. Mine is an excellent instrument, but I inspected it and plugged it in before I bought it.

My '79 weighs more than any other Les Paul I have ever picked up.

Older instruments have had time to warp and shift and slip all they're going to, and are stable and settled after decades of being around. Just find ones that are worn-in, not worn-out.

My one new guitar was the worst purchase, financially, of the thirty that I have owned.

P.S. Later 1970s LP Customs like the '77-'80s mentioned above did NOT have the little frets anymore.

Mail-order is a challenging way to choose your shoes, your wife, or your guitar.

That '78 in your picture looks just like my own '79 Custom, even the color. Mine is an excellent instrument, but I inspected it and plugged it in before I bought it.

My '79 weighs more than any other Les Paul I have ever picked up.

Older instruments have had time to warp and shift and slip all they're going to, and are stable and settled after decades of being around. Just find ones that are worn-in, not worn-out.

My one new guitar was the worst purchase, financially, of the thirty that I have owned.

P.S. Later 1970s LP Customs like the '77-'80s mentioned above did NOT have the little frets anymore.

If you are referring to the "fretless wonder" factory low, narrow fret wire…I can tell you that my 77 LP Custom does indeed have the low frets.

If you are referring to the "fretless wonder" factory low, narrow fret wire…I can tell you that my 77 LP Custom does indeed have the low frets.

I also have a couple of Norlins with the low frets. I actually find the newer, higher frets a little bit of a problem that I had to get used to. They can grab at your fingers when sliding up and down the neck. Also, when I fret with a heavy hand, I can pull notes sharp. The new frets might make it easier to bend but I'm not sure how much easier as I don't do huge bends with multiple strings for the most part. I suppose I could have my guitars re-fretted but I'm a cheap bastard and usually try to find a way to make all my guitars work for me as they are for the most part.

Archived