Gibson Brands Forums

On the Cover of the Rolling Stone....

j45nick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am guessing this is a nod to the fact that next month it will have been 50 years since the Beatles first appearance on the Sullivan Show.

It think it is impossible for the young 'un's here to really get just how much impact those appearances had and how much the Beatles meant to us. But I did like the Stones better. Funny though the only Beatles record I did not really like was Sgt. Pepper's. I still don't listen to it.

It think it is impossible for the young 'un's here to really get just how much impact those appearances had and how much the Beatles meant to us.

Not really, they'd already done all that in the UK and many parts of Europe. You were actually quite late to the party over there.......

I am guessing this is a nod to the fact that next month it will have been 50 years since the Beatles first appearance on the Sullivan Show.

Without a doubt a massive career stepping stone, but they really were quite the sensation already... see above......

Not really, they'd already done all that in the UK and part so Europe. You were actually quite late to the party over there.......

Without a doubt a massive career stepping stone, but they really were quite the sensation already... see above......

a "view from the hill" j.h. ?

There are no young uns in here !

Im about 30 and probably one of the younguns here. I'll definitely check out the article, and if anyone is interested in some real tangible evidence of how rooted the British Invasion got, check out the documentary Teen A Go-Go on Netflix. It's about the microcosm of the Ft. Worth band scene in the early 60s, where 5-6 bands created some amazing music and had their own kind of mini-mania playing at pizza parlors and roller rinks.

Not really, wasn't being snotty either, just a reminder that The Sullivan show wasn't the birth, creation or introduction to the Beatles for most of us like it's always painted out to be by US based folk. They were already massive... I totally get the buzz it created at the time and the subsequent mania. I also get the point that anybody denying how much of a leap it was for them individually and for group success would be a bit mental... but for many many people America was quite simply late to the party, it was already happening... that's as much of a fact as saying "the Sullivan shows really elevated their careers".

Another undeniable fact that really helped the Beatles out was the KKK/bible belt nonsense after the 'bigger than Jesus' stuff, firstly they were bigger than Jesus at the time... secondly all those Beatles record and merch burnings just created great boost to their market when the same people took a chill pill then went out and bought all the records and merch again.

But before we get al caught up in a Beatles kerfuffle again, we should also note that they were a rather fabulously successful group by any band's measure before ever setting foot on US soil.

yea but they were no Stones... [flapper]

Haha, well, the Stones were only The Stones for a few years all in before they became rather awful, then turning into rapidly ageing lesbians. We have proven this beyond doubt in several sessions of verbal fisty-cuffs before. :D

I've said it before, had Mick or Keef had the decency to die around 1973 the would be a far bigger cash-cow than they are now. Brian Jones doesn't count, their best out put was after he'd popped his clogs anyway.

But before we get al caught up in a Beatles kerfuffle again, we should also note that they were a rather fabulously successful group by any band's measure before ever setting foot on US soil.

You are right: they were already hugely successful. However, the big money in those days was in selling records, and the US record-consuming public--particularly kids with cash--was probably about as big as the rest of the world record-consuming markets combined.

The USA was late to the Beatles party, but they helped turn it into a much bigger, more successful party. And validation by the American consumer market reinforced their image in other parts of the world.

Remember that this was less than 20 years after the end of WWII, and the US kids were still pretty wealthy compared to their European and Antipodean counterparts at that time. Hitting it big in the US was a dream for a lot of non-US musicians, as this was where you could make the big money.

(That ain't American arrogance speaking. We lived in Europe in the mid-1950's, and saw first-hand how long it took for European consumer economies to recover after WWII, while the US economy was running full speed ahead.)

I saw them at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium Concert in1964. When I say "saw" I mean just that. Couldn't hear a thing with all the screaming. I wasn't that keen on going, but my 15 year old sister was. My father got four tickets and tossed me the keys to the Ford Falcon. No way was he even getting near there. [biggrin]

Rich

I saw them at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium Concert in1964. When I say "saw" I mean just that. Couldn't hear a thing with all the screaming. I wasn't that keen on going, but my 15 year old sister was. My father got four tickets and tossed me the keys to the Ford Falcon. No way was he even getting near there. [biggrin]

Rich

You didn't wet your seat ? Even a little bit?

I'm on the that wagon, if anyone should have doubts.

1963 or 64, , , doesn't really matter. The point is the size of the wave and the vision, sense of freedom and lOVE it created.

Story :

I was on a bar some 10 years ago. Over to my table comes an older drunkard, who wants to talk. Me and my friend give space and the geezer tells us he was once a trusted scientist with a big budget for a special research - (national level). A mission that unfortunately failed after several in the works.

This meant the turning point of his career and during the following decades he fell out of the skies like a plane. This guy was miserable.

Don't know why, but far into the conversation I hit Here Comes The Sun - - - You should have seen him light up.

Obviously a tune from his hay-day and immediately he began humming the theme. This alone made him burn stronger - almost regenerating his batteries - smile and eventually causing him to rise and leave the bar half dancing. My friend (more a Bob-man) and looked at each other saying : The Fab-effect right there.

A few days after I saw the man hustle around at the Central Station - lost again, but still. . . .

At times it´s a bit saddening to think Harrison had become immune or cynical to this dimension of it all - Said in all respect, it was as if any talk of Beatles made him numb, , ,

or longing for escape

I am a huge fan of The Beatles. I was 8 in 1964, my sister was 12 and I grew up listening to them. I think Feb. 9, 1964 was a mark in music history that will be observed as a milestone for generations to come.

If you are a fan of the musicology of the Beatles, and you have 50 minutes to spare, I think you'll find this documentary on the music of The Beatles to be extremely fascinating. I've done a lot of research on a lot of the songs of the Fab Four having covered around 40 of them. However, I learned many fascinating things in this documentary. For example, did you know that "Penny Lane" has SEVEN modulations?? (20:30 in the video) Further, McCartney modulates DOWN for each chorus (cleverly the vocal melody rises at that moment to mask the key change) and modulates back up to the main key for each verse and THEN modulates UP for the uplifting repeat of the chorus in the finale. Truly genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQS91wVdvYc#t=16

Not really, wasn't being snotty either, just a reminder that The Sullivan show wasn't the birth, creation or introduction to the Beatles for most of us like it's always painted out to be by US based folk.

Hey PM, not sure why but I never got the impression you were in your 60s.

Brian Jones doesn't count, their best out put was after he'd popped his clogs anyway.

Jones was not flashy but listen to his slide on a 12 string on "Mother's Little Helper" or the blistering slide on "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "No Expectations" (arguably his last hurrah with the Stones). His riffs on "19th Nervous Breakdown" and that rude sound he pulls out of a Firebird on "Have You Seen Your Mother" (one of my favorite Stones songs) as well as excursions on something like the marimba on "Under my Thumb." Jones was an amazing musician.

I watched the shows on Ed Sullivan as a young fellow and then caught Hard Days Night in the theater. I was a fan and had most of the albums. I confess to owning the mono box set they issued a few years ago. Reviewing their stuff now I find it a very mixed bag. Some, like Penny Lane, is genius. Quite a lot, maybe even (dare I say it?) most of it is trash. I accepted all of it uncritically when I was young. It was a mystique, a whole new style, yada yada... I was young and didn't know much about music.

The beatles are the band that is the sound track of my life, I'm in my 60s now. But as for us Americans being late to the party well we had all ready gone threw rock and roll and at the time the Beatles came on the scene we were listening to Motown. I read some where that the Beatles just repackaged rock and roll and sold it back to us. And I thank them for that, and all they did after.

Fish

Here's a sniff - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-the-beatles-took-america-inside-the-new-issue-of-rolling-stone-20140101

How the Beatles Took America

By Rolling Stone

January 1, 2014 12:00 PM

How the Beatles Took America: Inside the New Issue of Rolling StoneFifty years ago, the Beatles landed in the U.S., generating the biggest explosion rock & roll has ever seen. In the new issue of Rolling Stone (on stands Friday, January 3rd), contributing editor Mikal Gilmore examines just how the Fab Four arrived in the States facing media disdain and a clueless record label in the wake of the devastating assassination of John F. Kennedy — and still managed to conquer America.

(See where your favorite tracks land on our 100 Greatest Beatles Songs)

On February 9th, 1964, Ed Sullivan famously intoned, "Tonight, the whole country is waiting to hear England's Beatles." Eight months later, the band had landed 28 records in Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart (11 in the Top 10), seen 10 albums released worldwide and been introduced to marijuana by Bob Dylan. But the band's voyage from Liverpool to New York City in '64 was filled with far more apprehension and stress than relaxation and glee.

Gilmore's story traces the band's early fears, label woes and other hardships that threatened to derail its journey. "They've got their own groups," Paul McCartney worried to Phil Spector on the plane. "What are we going to give them that they don't already have?" Lennon tempered his own concern with confidence: "We knew we would wipe you out if we could just get a grip," he later told Rolling Stone's Jann S. Wenner.

But the band needed to win over more than just fans — the U.S. media was fiercely skeptical of the longish-haired British foursome, and Capitol Records was unconvinced of the band's prowess despite its success in the U.K. When Brian Epstein struck a deal with Sullivan to feature the Beatles on three consecutive Sunday nights in February 1964, he brokered a sum far below the fee Elvis Presley had commanded years earlier for a trio of performances.

(Rolling Stone readers pick the Top 10 Beatles albums)

And in the months before the Beatles landed at JFK airport, the American press treated them as an irksome novelty. "They look like shaggy Peter Pans," Time wrote. "The precise nature of their charm remains mysterious even to their manager."

But then the band's fate seemed to change nearly overnight. How exactly did it happen? And what were the Beatles themselves thinking and feeling as they accomplished the largest victory in rock & roll history? Gilmore's electric account of the band's American invasion provides a refreshing close-up look at an historic watershed.

Archived