Gibson Brands Forums

New Acoustic-Electric GAS

LPguitarman

I was able to get a new Hummingbird Pro cutaway from my local guitar center last week for $1,800. (We traded my son's Martin towards it and I gave him my J45 Standard which he had beern eyeing) They gave me a "trade in" discount which took $300 off the price. They seem to take any old thing in on trade and extend the trade in discount. So if you have any musical equipment you don't need, you might try trading it in to get the discount.

I also have a Hummingbird Standard. The Hummingbird Pro is a lot different from what it's name would suggest, but is a great guitar in it's own right.

My observation has been that they don't hold their value as well as some other models. For instance the songwriter models seem to do well on resale. I am not saying this should be your prime concern when buying a guitar. When sharing advice on a guitar purchase, I say buy the guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it everyday. Of course it is similar to a "new" car purchase in that it will lose value as soon as you walk out the door with it. Best of luck to you in your purchase.

I would agree with most above. I bought the non cutaway model last year and did not keep it very long.

I paid $1799 @ GC. Could not sale it so I traded it in on one of my last purchases.

I liked the looks and the sound but could not get used to the narrow nut.

Plus I've been preferring short scale lately although some of my long scales are fine.

If you have $2200 to spend I would be looking at a standard HB.

They come with a pickup, you're within a couple hundred of getting a new one.

It will hold it's value better.

I would get a standard Hummingbird or Hummingbird TV instead. The big deal breaker for me would be the 1.68" nut on the Pro. But maybe more important, the hummingbird square shouldered dread is a classic and the renown it has gained is well-deserved. The Pro is a relatively new design with a body similar to a Songwriter. A lot of us traditionalists complain that the Pro model shouldn't really be called hummingbird at all, since the body shape is different.

Archived