Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional Pickguard Removal Question

maxpax69

Hi, I'm looking to remove the pick guard from my 2013 Chicago Blue Traditional and was looking for advice on what to do about the screw holes that are left behind.

Is there any recommended filler types that won't affect the surrounding wood or finish or is it ok just to leave the screw hole as is?

Any advice would be appreciated and I apologize now as I am a newbie to this site. IMHO I think that Gibson might be better served to not have the pick guard attached to any model above the studio. Just include it in the case as they did with my Standard and give the player the option.

Cheers!

Chris

Hi, I'm looking to remove the pick guard from my 2013 Chicago Blue Traditional and was looking for advice on what to do about the screw holes that are left behind.

Is there any recommended filler types that won't affect the surrounding wood or finish or is it ok just to leave the screw hole as is?

Any advice would be appreciated and I apologize now as I am a newbie to this site. IMHO I think that Gibson might be better served to not have the pick guard attached to any model above the studio. Just include it in the case as they did with my Standard and give the player the option.

Cheers!

Chris

+++1

Rubber band is better. Screws mess with tone.

Eric Johnson said it, after all ;).

#sarcasm

-Ryan

Years ago, like 15 maybe, he was in the newsgroups, EJROX. We used to fight like cats and dogs about the rubber band thing. He was pretty much kidding when he said it, and it really took off!

rct

Cheers!

Chris

Tried like crazy to catch Sweetwater before they installed the pickguard on my son's 2013 LP Trad in Chicago Blue...no luck. You got good advice.. simply put top screw back in (leave side hole open, truly unnoticeable). Some day you WILL change your mind.

My avatar (2010 Trad) is currently naked.

One more vote for above.

It's a small hole. Leave it alone or put the screw back in.

Not sure if wax could effect the finish (can't see how it would).....but

If it bothers you that much...

Fill it with some crayola crayon wax shavings rubbed in with your thumb and then polish over.

Easy to match and not a problem if you put the pickguard back on later.

Willy

Thanks for all the advice. I think for now I'll just put the screws back in the holes and see how that looks, maybe get a couple of same size black screws that will blend a little better with the Chicago Blue.

I did buy this from Sweetwater and they did showcase the guitar with the pickguard on so I can't totally complain. It's just the finish is so nice I am now thinking I would rather the guard be gone.

Thank you all again.

Just leave the holes.

Why treat the Studio differently from any other LP?

:-k

P.

Just thinking that the intent behind the Studio is as a studio workhorse while the higher models are intended more for performance or show. I would be thrilled if the pick guards were not installed on any LP and the option was given to the owner. Just a personal preference and opinion. :)

Just yesterday I was thinking about adding a pick guard to my LPJ.

I just like the look of them, it looks like a finished Les Paul with one on. (to me)

I was thinking about changing the pot knobs as well for something a bit more witches hat looking.

I am still thinking...

• 2 weeks later...

+++1

They did this with my 2011 les paul classic leaving the pick-guard and screws in the case compartment. Hoping this would be so with my 2013 traditional and standard it was not. So for 2011 classics they had the right idea, but I guess they changed that worrying that people would screw up (no pun intended) inserting the holes and call complaining that they should come with the pick-guard installed. So it is understanding from a business perspective.

They did this with my 2011 les paul classic leaving the pick-guard and screws in the case compartment. Hoping this would be so with my 2013 traditional and standard it was not. So for 2011 classics they had the right idea, but I guess they changed that worrying that people would screw up (no pun intended) inserting the holes and call complaining that they should come with the pick-guard installed. So it is understanding from a business perspective.

Both my Gibson USA Standards, a MWR special run 2011 AAA Quilt Top and a MWR 2012 AAA Flame Top, came with pickguard and screws supplied in the accessoires compartment, too, which are on the shelf now. My Custom Shop Class 5 WR AAA Flame Top came without.

Both my Gibson USA Standards, a MWR special run 2011 AAA Quilt Top and a MWR 2012 AAA Flame Top, came with pickguard and screws supplied in the accessoires compartment, too, which are on the shelf now. My Custom Shop Class 5 WR AAA Flame Top came without.

Interesting, I guess either certain years they did this or it's a hit or miss.

Often it's more down to whether or not the guitar has a figured top.

Plain-top LPs (AFAIK) always have the p'g on. Flame-tops often come with the p'g in the case.

My '93 R9 with Premium-Plus top didn't have a p'g installed and unfortunately, having bought it used, neither did it come with the original one in the case.

This, it transpired, was a right PITA. I always need a p'g and these early Historics had the 'wrong' space between p'ups. A recent Historic p'g would not fit. Not even close.

All of which meant I had to have a p'g custom-made for this LP and, good job that the guy did notwithstanding, it's still not quite the same as a Gibson-made Historic item would be.

P.

Archived