Gibson Brands Forums

Phil Everly RIP

jaxson50

Great songs with great vocals! The Brothers E were huge influence on Lennon and McCartney.

One half of the greatest duo in RnR history, may you rest in peace.

Don't forget their influence on Jagger and Richards also, as documented in Keith's book.

Ian.

Their harmonies inspired many including a young group from Liverpool. At a time when others were doing heavily produced work, they remained who they were, and gave us clean harmonies, perfectly blended right on stage. They also inspired Simon and Garfunkel. John Denver and others gave the credit for inspiration, RIP Phil, your work here is done.

An excerpt from the link to the article BobIsaac posted:

"I loved my brother very much," Everly wrote. "I always thought I'd be the one to go first. I was listening to one of my favorite songs that Phil wrote and had an extreme emotional moment just before I got the news of his passing. I took that as a special spiritual message from Phil saying good-bye."

That is really spooky! [scared]

I remember folks in Iowa claiming 'em. <grin>

Those who've seen a lotta my comments about the skills and talent of the old "live radio" musicians' generations? These kids are products of that generation and ethos.

They were singing together basically before they were old enough to know the difference between singing and talking. The fact that the harmonies seemed so natural was that... for these two, they were.

My little sis and I haven't sung together since a time or two early in the summer of '63 - but I'll wager if we could remember the same words <grin> we'd still have the same harmony too. That's how it was at the tail end of the era of folks doing much of their own music instead of having tubes poked into their ears in the back seat of family cars.

I'm not claiming anywhere near the abilities of Don and Phil - just noting how an effortless duet of two talented siblings could work, and probably did work in an earlier time.

m

Oh...

Diggin' around a bit... This isn't some old friends of mine - although I'd met Mother Maybelle as some here know - but...

Yeah, Dad Ike Everly was a heck of a picker as you can hear in the first part of this,

...but go halfway through the Youtube thingie and watch how the old pros could do stuff.

Mother Maybelle plays the left hand and Ike the right hand of a fingerpicked piece.

m

Few acts can actually be given credit for changing the direction of music for generations. Perhaps I am being nostalgic, maybe they were just in the right place at the right time with the right sound, there is no argument that artist are still being inspired their approach to harmony.

Archived