Gibson Brands Forums

Shine a Light.....

j45nick

Now, we all know our friend Parlourman as an acute observer of the human condition, a gadfly of the first order. He's a sartorialist of great renown, with a preoccupation with footwear and a curiosity about what others wear (as well as what they keep in their closets).

Oh yeah, and he also happens to be a very good musician, and a bit of a musical historian.

For some of us, however, his derogatory comments about a certain older rock band--a band held in great esteem by many--strike a raw nerve.

I spent last evening with a good bottle of red, planted in front of the TV, watching "Shine a Light", and the perfect revenge came to mind. We would tie Parlourman to a chair, dressed in his blue suede shoes and a pair of Stewart plaid knickers, and force him to watch "Shine a Light" three times in a row, with the sound track blasted out of a pair of A-7's.

Then, about halfway through the film, I realized that everything he said about the band--and its members--is true....... [unsure]

I think I'll crawl back into my corner with my L-OO now.

Now, we all know our friend Parlourman as an acute observer of the human condition, a gadfly of the first order. He's a sartorialist of great renown, with a preoccupation with footwear and a curiosity about what others wear (as well as what they keep in their closets).

Oh yeah, and he also happens to be a very good musician, and a bit of a musical historian.

For some of us, however, his derogatory comments about a certain older rock band--a band held in great esteem by many--strike a raw nerve.

I spent last evening with a good bottle of red, planted in front of the TV, watching "Shine a Light", and the perfect revenge came to mind. We would tie Parlourman to a chair, dressed in his blue suede shoes and a pair of Stewart plaid knickers, and force him to watch "Shine a Light" three times in a row, with the sound track blasted out of a pair of A-7's.

Then, about halfway through the film, I realized that everything he said about the band--and its members--is true....... [unsure]

I think I'll crawl back into my corner with my L-OO now.

Haha, brilliant... Didn't see the twist coming, I thought this was just going to be about my pants, shoes and the intriguing tied up scenario.

I've watched shine a light a couple of times, partly to see if I had missed what others claimed to see, partly to reaffirm my earlier impressions.

In the interests of avoiding roads I've already travelled and trying to keep the post positive ill just say one thing; imagine how great shine a light could have been had it been made somewhere between 69 and late 72. No celeb pals, none of the same tat that plagues this movie and a far far superior band.

Cheers Nick, got a proper belly laugh from that one. Have a great weekend, sir.

PM is a sweetie but I knew he was a troubled child when he dismissed Brian Jones.

Yeah, the Stones have had some low points like the pseudo disco "Miss You" and that giant inflatable you know what on stage. And no doubt that their run from the "Jumping Jack Flash" 45 rpm through "Exile" is one of the greatest series of rock & roll platters to ever grace the earth. And you can't argue that Mick Taylor is a brilliant guitar player - one of the few guys alive at the time who could go toe to toe with Lowell George on slide. Yeah, Ronnie Wood has probably played more bum notes than any guitar player in the UK but his hair is spikey and he makes a perfect mate for Keef.

But what lay at the heart of the Stones is the two guitars. Not a set lead and rhythm thing but two guitars weaving in and out. They started with this, left it and then went back to it. And you still have Charlie and as long as he is there behind those Gretsch drums everything will be OK.

Though I can sing the praises of Mick Taylor's lead work at least as much as any other Gibson player, and have worshipped at the alter of Keef since the early 70s (my Tele is permanently five-stringed and tuned to Open G), I think it might be more helpful to point towards Stones concert films where the lads still "had it" or were near the peak of their powers in providing pure rock spectacle, capable of running through one of the best catalogs of hits ever assembled with a bit of flair and fun.

I'm fond of a DVD set called Four Flicks that came out around 2003, about the time of the Forty Licks tour. It features a mix of venue sizes from smaller clubs to massive stadiums and, generally speaking, the sound and production is very well done. By then they were less confrontationally trying to seem "dangerous", but the level of professionalism was perhaps at its peak. There's even a thing called 'Select-a-Stone' on a couple of tracks where you can choose which person to watch:

For me (and I've seen them live a few times), Shine a Light came too late - my theory is that after Keith fell out of the coconut tree in Fiji mid-tour, the zen-like abbreviated chord work had been decoupled from a steady sense of timing, and the overall effect suffered greatly. At the beginning of that "Bigger Bang" tour, they were as 'on' as they were in 1975 for me.

Just my two cents...

A very satisfying movie done in time, seen from my point of view - and The Beacon was the right place to shoot it.

Yeah, presume PM. has the age to have been able to flourish and rage as a skinhead-kinda-fellow, , , and the bigger brothers to both teach him and rebel against.

I keep wondering why he chose a career in the Foreign Legion. It surely had side effects like flashback heat-attacks and seeing mirages here and there.

, , ,imagine how great shine a light could have been had it been made somewhere between 69 and late 72.

But there was a film made then, PM, guess you've forgotten - 'ts called Gimme Shelter and was done by the Maysles bros.

Can only recommend it, , , though it's no walk through the tulips. . .

The 1969 tour was odd. It started out really rough probably because Taylor had not settled in yet. But by the end of the tour the Stones really hit their stride. The only reason they did that free show at Altamont was they were taking a lot of flak for their $20 ticket prices. I hitched out to California intending to go but got sidetracked along the way and missed it. I did end up spending a few weeks in Berkley though which resulted in me getting kicked out of school for not showing up for the semester. Such was the times.

I was always my own worst enemy. A year or two later I tossed away a heck of a good job and free college courses working for New York University on a boat in the Hudson River (I got the job because I could handle a boat and knew the River like the back of my hand) doing environmental impact studies because I got it in my head I wanted to take my Triumph 650 north and tool around Nova Scotia. I blame it all on the Stones.

The 1969 tour was odd. It started out really rough probably because Taylor had not settled in yet. But by the end of the tour the Stones really hit their stride. The only reason they did that free show at Altamont was they were taking a lot of flak for their $20 ticket prices. I hitched out to California intending to go but got sidetracked along the way and missed it. I did end up spending a few weeks in Berkley though which resulted in me getting kicked out of school for not showing up for the semester. Such was the times.

I was always my own worst enemy. A year or two later I tossed away a heck of a good job and free college courses working for New York University on a boat in the Hudson River (I got the job because I could handle a boat and knew the River like the back of my hand) doing environmental impact studies because I got it in my head I wanted to take my Triumph 650 north and tool around Nova Scotia. I blame it all on the Stones.

ZW, sometimes I get idea we were siblings that somehow got separated at birth or shortly thereafter.

I did most of those same things myself, perhaps just a couple of years earlier.

But then, a lot of people did similar things. It was the 60's after all, and we were young......

And 1969 was an extraordinary year, any way you look at it.

If you look at the LPs that came out in 1969 it was very possibly the best year ever in music.

My problem is the attitude thing went way past the 1960s. After I went to college and got myself mighty educated I had an interview with a rather large corporation. I mean this was a good paying job. I was working in a local cemetery at the time so this would have totally changed my life. But something in me still would just not let me do the corner office, button down collar oxford shirt thing so what to I do - yup, I blew the whole interview.

I thought 'Shine A Light' was their definitive dvd. I have most of their dvds, which range from sensation to horrible- horrible being the one where the old producer raves on and on and not a Stone is seen.... There surely is not a lot we haven't seen.

Being a very hard core blues fan from a young age, I never really got past their Little Red Rooster. I liked the Mick Taylor era stuff, and the other stuff has always been there abouts, like part of the furniture.

I saw them in about 1972. It was a huge event with the full riot and the works. Unbeatable. I have the recent dvd of that early tour, and I just watched the Hyde Park one.

They are touring here in a few months. The Boss wanted to go and my immediate thought was that I don't want to be an old person at a gig among older people like .........( insert name of old rocker you know) and others at a gig.

I use to go to everything, and you know the type....old hippy in old kaftan with no underwear dancing the Crane dance thing.

Anyway, while I pontificated on the ticket prices and old age thing and a host of other issues, every single ticket for the whole tour sold out in 3 seconds!

BluesKing777.

PM is a sweetie

Thanks, that's made my day.

For me (and I've seen them live a few times), Shine a Light came too late.

Agreed, someone mentioned previous footage but the Stones are plagued with never having caught any good pro footage that captured the buzz, most of their footage looks a bit on the cheap. The 69 show, poor lighting, shoddy capturing of any atmosphere, looks like it was filmed for a Tenner. In the park, again, poorly shot film, bad narration, poor editing, very poor atmosphere capturing too, again it looks like it was filmed by an art student for 20 quid and a quick meet & greet. To bring the Beatles into it, there's no shortage of footage that really captures the madness, both good & poor quality footage, but it captures it. The Stones always look like they never bothered filming the best bits. I think the documentary about Exile is the best Stones film I've seen and even that was a bit more Sunday afternoon than Saturday night. I will confess a slight soft spot for In the Park though, if only for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it glimpse of my old dear looking all young & trendy in one of the scenes.

Yeah, presume PM. has the age to have been able to flourish and rage as a skinhead-kinda-fellow, , , and the bigger brothers to both teach him and rebel against.

Never was a skinhead of any description, nor a bigot of any kind.

I keep wondering why he chose a career in the Foreign Legion. It surely had side effects like flashback heat-attacks and seeing mirages here and there.

What can I say, I like to tightly embrace danger, lick it right in the face and whisper menacingly in its ear "I'm going to do you". Some might say that makes me a gobby thrill-seeker, they might be on to something….

But there was a film made then, PM, guess you've forgotten - 'ts called Gimme Shelter and was done by the Maysles bros.

Can only recommend it, , , though it's no walk through the tulips. . .

Seen it, thought it was another collection of fairly anaemic footage. I've even seen the banned one ….sucker blues, sad and a bit rubbish! Just my tuppenceworth though. I honestly reckon the Stones in the height of it would have been an absolutely amazing night out. They just lack enough great footage to prove it, there's a few great clips for sure, but an awful lot of dodgy ones.

To leave on a one-liner, they've been going for 50 years and amassed roughly 2 hours of great material, half of which they can't perform very well if people would take the rose coloured glasses off.

What can I say, I like to tightly embrace danger, lick it right in the face and whisper menacingly in its ear "I'm going to do you". Some might say what makes me a gobby thrill-seeker, they might be on to something….

Somehow I just ain't seeing this.

To leave on a one-liner, they've been going for 50 years and amassed roughly 2 hours of great material, half of which they can't perform very well if people would take the rose coloured glasses off.

Every concert I attented have been terrific - the earliest in 1982 was the weakest.

Not wearing rosey glasses here, , , , but always smugle dry whiskey inside the stadium for a Stones show. .

Midnight Rambler in 2006 was some of best rock'n'roll I ever heard.

I'm still trying to get my head around this:

"you know the type....old hippy in old kaftan with no underwear dancing the Crane dance thing."

FMA

It doesn't bear thinking about. Actually, I've seen enough film from "events" in parks in San Francisco during the Summer of Love to know exactly what he is talking about. Those folks just happen to be 45 years older now.

Of course, I've only heard about it second-hand.........

My '68 Beetle just had a single peace sticker on the back bumper, plus my J-45, sleeping bag, and duffle bag in the back seat.

It doesn't bear thinking about. Actually, I've seen enough film from "events" in parks in San Francisco during the Summer of Love to know exactly what he is talking about. Those folks just happen to be 45 years older now.

Of course, I've only heard about it second-hand.........

My '68 Beetle just had a single peace sticker on the back bumper, plus my J-45, sleeping bag, and duffle bag in the back seat.

Honest, everything needful from the States takes about 10-20 years to catch on here sometimes it seems.......

But the big EVENT in the park/farm/forest/coast arrived here as soon as 1967 and a Half!

25 years approx later, the Kaftan Man was still going strong and made a crowd scaring appearance at a blues/bourbon bar I played electric at - that cleared the dance floor area of the nice looking women....

And he made another appearance and cleared himself a space at, of all things and not really known for kaftan types, a ZZ Top gig I went to.

Mick, Keef, Ronnie could easily have become kaftan men if employment hadn't worked out so well. Bill has....

BluesKing777.

25 years approx later, the Kaftan Man was still going strong and made a crowd scaring appearance at a blues/bourbon bar I played electric at - that cleared the dance floor area of the nice looking women....

Now I get the picture. Glad I wasn't there to see him. Sorta a continental version of "Rockin' Roland" the guy wearing the rainbow afro wigs at all the NFL games, just more creepy.

Kaftan Man

Mick, Keef, Ronnie could easily have become kaftan men if employment hadn't worked out so well.

BluesKing777.

According to PM they instead became "rapidly aging Lesbians."

It's weekend of memorable quotes here on the forum.

FMA

I must confess Ive never watched a full Stones concert live or on DVD and my Stones collection goes as far as the Best of 40 licks, I did watch the full Hyde Park concert while on plane to Oz this Xmas. And while they looked liked they would fit right in a B grade Zomby killers flick, they sounded damn good and I thoroughly enjoyed 'the show' at 35,000 feet up in the air.

According to PM they instead became "rapidly aging Lesbians."

It's weekend of memorable quotes here on the forum.

FMA

You should check out the past threads we've done on this, some of my best work is in there. I hardly got the engines going on this one….

Archived