Gibson Brands Forums

GAS for a used J-100 xtra in my local shop

kebob

Stopped into my local shop today and discoved a used J-100 xtra (hog back/sides). The price was decent and it is in great shape. It sounded very balanced and feather light. I'm seriously considering trading my HD-28 for it. I don't play the HD-28 much anymore, it's too boomy for my taste. I would think it'd be a pretty fair trade -- probably getting the low end of it by a little.

Have you looked at the one on our Trading Post?

I think you would be giving a few hundred on trading straight up

I had not seen the one in the Trading Post. The one in my local shop is not a sunburst. I agree with you, I think if I were to trade the Martin I'd be giving up a few hundred bucks. Already have a J-200, so it's probably overkill. GAS is a terrible thing.

I had a J-100Xtra (Hog) and a J-200(Rosewood) for a while. One had to go through lack of use. I kept the J-100 Xtra [biggrin]

Steve.

The one in my shop had a set of dull strings on her and still sounded quite good -- very balanced and light. This one has crown inlays, but they are not MOP, not sure what material they are, but you tell its cheaper than MOP. Nearly every pic I've seen of J100 Xtra's have had the plain dot inlays. I wonder about the crown inlays.

With a new set of strings, I know she'd come alive. I got out my HD28 last night. It is a fantastic guitar in its own right, just too much bottom end for me -- I used to like that aspect, but as I've aged I prefer a more balanced tone and it just sits in its case now. What to do, what to do...

Curious that Frenchie had super jumbos of both rosewood and hogwood. Also curious that he had the time and opportunity to compare these two guitars in the comfort of his own home and ended up keeping the 'hog J-100 Xtra. Just the other night I was comparing J-100 Xtra and SJ-200 TV (maple), and even though I was amazed by the low end bass clarity of the maple, had to wonder if the 'rose would be somewhere in between the two. Or, Frenchie, did you find that in a body the size a super jumbo the rosewood added some mud to the mix?

Also- there seems to be a bit of differing trim levels as the J-100 stretches up to the J-200. Crown inlay can be found, bound neck on some; the J-150 can be a good value, as well.

This collector grade J-100 with period-correct stair step pickguard recently brought a surprising number of bids and final sale amount on eBay:

1991 J-100 in Pre-war trim

ScreenShot2014-01-05at114353AM_zps9ca828a1.png

Curious that Frenchie had super jumbos of both rosewood and hogwood. Also curious that he had the time and opportunity to compare these two guitars in the comfort of his own home and ended up keeping the 'hog J-100 Xtra. Just the other night I was comparing J-100 Xtra and SJ-200 TV (maple), and even though I was amazed by the low end bass clarity of the maple, had to wonder if the 'rose would be somewhere in between the two. Or, Frenchie, did you find that in a body the size a super jumbo the rosewood added some mud to the mix?

Also- there seems to be a bit of differing trim levels as the J-100 stretches up to the J-200. Crown inlay can be found, bound neck on some; the J-150 can be a good value, as well.

I think the truth of the matter is I just prefer Mahogany. The 94 J-200 "Special" had Honduran rosewood B&S, the bass wasn`t at all overpowering or muddy, the top end was zingy, but overall it was well balanced, although a little Hi-Fi in tone. As a guitar in it`s own right I was very happy with it.

My 94 J-100 Xtra though is just something very special to me, it`s very much like a cross between a J-200 maple 1/3 and a good J-45 2/3rds, nice zinging trebles, and a wonderful thumpy low E, and very well balanced, loud too! My friend owns a 93 which also has a great low E, but isn`t as well balanced as mine, so they do vary.

P1011049_zps2a2c1e83.jpg

P1011052_zpsed487371.jpg

The new 1941 SJ-100 is very good too, I tried one about a month ago at Dawsons in Manchester, very similar to mine, but didn`t have the depth of tone mine has, although I am sure that will come as the guitar ages.

It goes without saying that I am a very big fan of the J-100 model, in all it`s various guises, but particularly the Mahogany & Bubinga versions.

Steve

The one in my shop had a set of dull strings on her and still sounded quite good -- very balanced and light. This one has crown inlays, but they are not MOP, not sure what material they are, but you tell its cheaper than MOP. Nearly every pic I've seen of J100 Xtra's have had the plain dot inlays. I wonder about the crown inlays.

I have seen a few J-100s with crown inlays, some early 2000s maple version J-100s had them, and some had abalone soundhole rosettes too. As already posted some of the 91 prototypes had crown inlays too. It does sound to me that the guitar you have seen may have had the crown inlays added, and with some dubious material too boot.

The specs for the J-100 have changed endlessly over the years, but when you find a great one it`s fabulous.

Steve.

Those are real beauts frenchie! I agree with your sound summary on your hog j100x. Mine that I am selling is a great all around guitar: fingerpicks well, excels at light or hard strumming.They are under rated in my opinion. I wish I could find a j45 that good.

I have also played an example of the new '41 j100 and it was very similar sound wise. I had played one of the '91s with stairstep peghead and was not impressed.

Well, just came from my shop after checking out the J100 a little further -- and unfortunately, it's damaged.Turns out there is a spot where the back is lifted from the binding. Apparently, the guy traded it in wasn't exactly forthright with the shop about it -- and they got the short end. It is a great guitar, but the damage, even if repaired, is a deal-breaker for me. No biggie, my HD28 isn't going anywhere.

I had a '96 Mahogany J100-Xtra and a '00 Maple J100-Xtra at the same time. Ended up keeping the maple '00 for a slight tonal preference, and a huge playability preference, due to the very large neck on the '96. I still have the '00 with it's abalone rosette (which first appeared in '99) & dot inlays. Very nice.

As for the crown inlays, they appeared either in '02 or '03. They are not present in the '01 catalog, but do appear in the '03 catalog. At the same time, the abalone rosette & pickguard were removed. Haven't kept track of the changes beyond that point.

Archived