Gibson Brands Forums

OMG ... NGD

littlejohnny

o.k. there had to be people out there who like the vos finish, otherwise gibson would stop makin' it. guess my comment came out a little too rude.

Whatever, I cleaned & polished my guitar with gibson polish and its all fine for me now.

I also changed out the truss rod cover, just because I like the plain ones better.

As far as strings go, I never had 80/20 strings on a guitar ever. so I was very curious how the git would sound with PBs. Changed the strings yesterday and the PBs changed the sound quite a bit. Guitar has more bass now and different mids and is overall louder.

I settled on DR Pre Alloy strings on my j-45 pretty fast. The last half year I was kind of unhappy with its sound, cause it kind of sounded overpowered, especially in the low mids. I changed to gibson PB stings and though my first impression was: "they are much to quite" ,but in the end I found them to be overall smoother and more natural sounding then the DRs.

From my fist experience with 80/20 vs. PBs I draw the conclusion, that PBs are better for new guitars and 80/20 are better for well broken in and matured instruments, so for now the PBs will stay on the bird, but next string change my j-45 will get some 80/20!

As far as the sound difference between the bird and the j-45 goes, which with the same strings on now seems to be more comparable:

J-45 - thumpy, dry, midrangy and raw

bird - clear highs, deeper Bass, reverby but very clean at the same time (string/note separation is a good term)

still they both share the overall gibson warmth

As I said before, I feel very blessed to call both my own now.

One last thing: The bird ain't no cannon ( as is the j-45)

back to playing!

From Built to Class

back to playing!

Hope you get some intense A/B goin', , , always a trip. .

Apart from that I put on a set of Masterbuilts ph. b. 12-54 on the Bird the 6th of Jan.

Have tried different other brands and wanted to recreate the sound I fell for in the shop.

Didn't work at all - they were much too raw and didn't bring out the nectar whatsoever.

In fact second time I experience this since I bought the Bird in April last year.

Maybe it was a load of bad Masterbuilts or else the 20/80 is the answer. Anyways, , , off went the ph.b.'s and instead some Newtone Master Class ph. b.12-54 was tried.

Totally changed the sound. These are like made of gold in comparison - really make that guitar fly and I wish they stay after fading.

12-16-24-34-44-54 / Notice the difference to Masterbuilts

12-16-24-32-42-53 / same as D'Addarios both bronze and ph.b.

12-16-25-32-42-54 / Martin SPs and fx Flexcore

Not sure about the Gibson 80/20 - can't find them right now

Archived