Gibson Brands Forums

Some More Guitar Pics

BluesKing777

Hey, B-nice get on that OM18v (spotted on your JM thread over at the Woodshed). Have any recordings up on it? Inquring minds need to know. Rambler

Thanks R!

Do I have to play it?

I'm happy just looking at it......

No, I have been busily playing it in - like a brand new guitar. I don't know what happened to the poor person who bought it in 2002 and left it in the case, but it must have been serious? Such a beautiful picker to leave untouched. Bizarre.

I am guessing, but the nut seems a fraction high like a new guitar fresh from the factory. So a quick trip to the guitar doctor this week, but I will give it a quick recording first. (It is also a touch bright and newish for slide, but I haven't tried, so we never know what works until..........)

BluesKing777.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BK,

I've been playing mine a lot since you rekindled my interest in it. I think the action has become a tad high up the neck. It has plenty of break angle but it also has a glued in saddle from memory.So it becomes a bit major to get it out to shave down the bottom a little...heat required?.I think i've read somewhere that people have sanded down the top of the saddle?!Sounds tricky but at least it's not a compensated saddle.

Do you have a Sydney guitar doctor you can recommend if get around to doing something?

Not sure if a truss rod tweak would achieve much action wise.

Still sounds great though.

BK,

I've been playing mine a lot since you rekindled my interest in it. I think the action has become a tad high up the neck. It has plenty of break angle but it also has a glued in saddle from memory.So it becomes a bit major to get it out to shave down the bottom a little...heat required?.I think i've read somewhere that people have sanded down the top of the saddle?!Sounds tricky but at least it's not a compensated saddle.

Do you have a Sydney guitar doctor you can recommend if get around to doing something?

Not sure if a truss rod tweak would achieve much action wise.

Still sounds great though.

You could beg Gerard Gillett in Botany, but he is a top luthier, not really guitar setups....

Sydney Guitar Setups do a lot of guitars with their Plek machine and I don't know if they do acoustics.

I will email my local guy tomorrow - his website is down and I don't want to get alarmed, fearful and...'fretful' that he has retired to Qld, just yet.

Your om18v and mine deserve the absolute best treatment and setup!

BluesKing777.

Edit.... How is the Martin with a capo on 2 or 3?

You could beg Gerard Gillett in Botany, but he is a top luthier, not really guitar setups....

Sydney Guitar Setups do a lot of guitars with their Plek machine and I don't know if they do acoustics.

I will email my local guy tomorrow - his website is down and I don't want to get alarmed, fearful and...'fretful' that he has retired to Qld, just yet.

Your om18v and mine deserve the absolute best treatment and setup!

BluesKing777.

Edit.... How is the Martin with a capo on 2 or 3?

It likes a capo BK...all the way up the neck..very nice.Also good in drop tunings. DADGAD is sweet. I remember you dabble there as well as your usual open g's and d's.

I tried to do exactly that, but failed. It is hard to show the shape - it is rounded off. (Modified V).

Here is a chart of the Martin neck shapes:

http://www.napervillemusic.com/t-neckshapes.aspx

Have a look at the huge V neck on the National Tricone and try one at a shop if you can:

http://www.nationalguitars.com/instruments/nrptriconeblack/nrptriconeblack.html

BluesKing777.

i like the sharp v--thanks for the link.

and I've got my eye on a reso for some time. definitely in my future one day.

It likes a capo BK...all the way up the neck..very nice.Also good in drop tunings. DADGAD is sweet. I remember you dabble there as well as your usual open g's and d's.

I sent you a PM with a guy's details....

With your new found (my fault?) interest in the OM, you probably should NOT read this rather glowing review of an OM18a....

http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/acoustic-guitars/martin/authentic-series/om-18-authentic-1933/

BluesKing777.

Very interesting place in which you live, BK [thumbup] Lots of various 'terrain' and 'water'....Down Under [woot]

What is the dob in a dumper sign about.... [confused]

Thanks Retro.

'Dob In A Dumper' has a few connotations indeedy. It must be a big problem whatever it is.

BluesKing777.

. Hey, BK! Nicely played. That thing has a very open and airy tone.

Thanks Rambler.

It needs a setup and some more breaking in though, and my secret ingredient on my Martin 000-15: Gibson MB strings! (12s).

The tune was based on Bo's "Let Me Squeeze Your Lemon" and I did NOT want to commit to singing those lyrics on tape. John Miller says the lyrics of Bo are described as 'single entendre'.

BluesKing777.

Great looking OM 18V there, BK. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it. I dare say my 00018 Marquis is my favorite guitar these days.

martin00018.jpg

Thanks JG2.

I am enjoying the om18v, and that close cousin 00018 Marquis looks sensational! The Marquis series have higher grade woods, I believe. (And price). I saw the pic when you first bought it...do you have any of the back/sides?

BluesKing777.

Sorry Mr Gibson.

Archived