Gibson Brands Forums

tuning issues with Traditional Pro II

jonberry

Hi all,

I've just got my first Gibson, a LP Traditional Pro II, and have had it professionally set up. Intonation, tone etc are all as they should be, and it plays like a dream. The only issue is that the tuning is unstable, even after playing it in for a few weeks.

Is this usual? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Jon

No, not my first guitar. Have played Strats and Teles for about thirty years but fancied a LP. By unstable, I mean that it doesn't stay in tune very long - the B and top E go slightly sharp while the G drops a little. This happens after just a few minutes of playing and is very slight, but enough to make a difference over the course of a gig. My Fenders seem to hold their tuning for longer.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I've just got my first Gibson, a LP Traditional Pro II, and have had it professionally set up. Intonation, tone etc are all as they should be, and it plays like a dream. The only issue is that the tuning is unstable, even after playing it in for a few weeks.

Is this usual? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Jon

I always change strings whenever I get a new guitar...old/cheap strings are hard to keep in tune. Nut Sauce helps too with binding at the nut. I always suspect the simple things.

Hey - it sounds like you identified the nut as the issue. I highly, HIGHLY recommend having a bone nut installed. those plastic jobs from Gibson are brutal. They're not cut right, and they snag too much, dont bother messing with them. Should be around 80-100 for a bone nut install and you'll never look back.

Everybody is always amazed at how mine stay in tune compared to theirs. Juat my .02

Chris

I wouldn't say the stock nuts are brutal but there is a definite breaking in period as documented by many threads on this very forum. I hear bone nuts are very nice but you should do just fine with the stock nut once properly lubricated and broken in.

Spent a bit of time on the nut with some Nut Sauce last night, and all seems to be well.

I'm reluctant to change the nut and will give the original some time to bed in before thinking about replacing it; once again, many thanks for the advice.

cheers

Jon

Yeah - the nuts that Gibson uses are great, IMO. Sometimes some of the slots might need to be opened up a hair. You might take it back to the guy who set it up and tell him about it so he can finish getting the thing tweaked just right. He deserves to have the chance to get it right. It's a process and it might take a couple of times to get everything right.

If you have locking Grovers give the string a few wraps instead of just pulling it tight and clamping it.

This solved my issues with those machine heads on both my Les Pauls.

A couple wraps before putting it through? Hmmm. I might try that, the tuner on my low E is acting funky, it doesn't want to grip it. Wrapping it may not solve that, but i like to think of options.

Hey - it sounds like you identified the nut as the issue. I highly, HIGHLY recommend having a bone nut installed. those plastic jobs from Gibson are brutal. They're not cut right, and they snag too much, dont bother messing with them. Should be around 80-100 for a bone nut install and you'll never look back.

Everybody is always amazed at how mine stay in tune compared to theirs. Juat my .02

Chris

Wow 80-100 for a nut!!!! That should be more in the 40-50 range.

I prefer Bamboo nuts, brings out my inner Customs dodger.

rct

but I bet they ITCH like crazy if you.....oh......nevermind.....

on new guitars I clean up the top & bottom edges of each slot & bevel them ever so slightly w/Swiss needle files....then a dab (using a toothpick) of Teflon Grease (American Scientific Products) in each slot under new strings.....it's an uber-rare occasion that I hear, "ping"....or have any tuning issues.

Archived