Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Swingster questions

jbk85

Hi,

I recently bought a 2010 Epiphone Emperor Swingster. It's a great guitar. I just have a couple of questions:

- does anyone sell pickguards for this model? I have the transparent one that comes with it, but I think it would look good with a white one

- how high should the pickups be? I know this is personal preference, but what is a good starting point?

- are the pole pieces meant to be adjustable? When I turn the screws, some of them move, but some of them don't move no matter how much I screw or unscrew them...

- I replaced the strings with 10-46 strings that have a plain G string. However, I have to set the G saddle all the way on the side of the bigsby, and intonation is still not 100% right. What should I do about this?

Thanks!

There are a few people who will make you a replacement guard using the original as a template: WD Music, Pick Guardian etc.

As a suggestion for pick up set up, try starting out by setting the bridge pickup 3-4mm below the string, and listen to hear how it sounds. Then try moving it a mm closer and listen again, then try further away and listen again. Too close produces odd artifacts, too far away and it will sound weak, but it's up to your ears to find the sweet spot. Once you have the bridge pickup as you like it, set the neck pick up to the same position and listen again, comparing to the bridge pick up as you go. You should find it sounds louder than the bridge when set to the same height, so then you can start lowering it to find the point at which the two balance.

Doesn't the Swingster have a wooden floating bridge? If so just move the whole bridge back until the G balances, then reset the intonation on the other strings.

Hope that helps.

Doesn't the Swingster have a wooden floating bridge? If so just move the whole bridge back until the G balances, then reset the intonation on the other strings.

No, the Swingster bridge is pinned, so you can't move it.

+1 on WD making a PG from the existing template.

I don't know about the screws in the pickup magnets.. I've not tried to adjust mine... I'll check it out later.

No, the Swingster bridge is pinned, so you can't move it.

+1 on WD making a PG from the existing template.

I don't know about the screws in the pickup magnets.. I've not tried to adjust mine... I'll check it out later.

Ah, ok. Well, if the intonation was set at the factory for a wound third and then pinned (or pinned first then intonated, which wouldn't be the ideal way of doing it but you never know with factory processes), then the only solution I can think of would be to file off the original pin and either go full floating or re-anchor it once the intonation is set. I'd maybe throw on a fresh set of strings and double check your intonation before committing to removing the pin just to be sure and if in doubt, or if the bridge doesn't want to move, get a tech to have a look.

Archived