Gibson Brands Forums

Is the Guitar Era gone for good?

Surreal For Real

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the guitar is still the "alpha" instrument in the public's eye. There's no other instrument that's close. Until some other instrument replaces it, it's still tops. So the guitar era isn't gone for good. It's not gone period. [biggrin]

I never wanted to play the guitar, I always wanted a saxophone but my parents didnt want the expense dry.gif

This topic has come up so many times in the last 50 years and everytime it does it makes me laugh. There are so many great guitarists out there today even if you may not be into there style just for example here are a list of fabulous guitar players that are out there today and relatively mainstream.

John Mayer

Keith Urban

Brad Paisley

Kenny Wayne Sheppard

Johnny Lang

Jack White

John Frusciante

Derek Trucks

Like I said these may not be your favorite guys but they are all truly amazing players and this is just a few off the top of my head. Alot of the people that we look at today as the greatest players of all time never got much radio play back in the day and I'm sure that in 30 years from now some people that are out there today will be the ones that are being listened to then.

I agree that are great guitarists but my point is the place they hold in the mainstream. None of the above names have reached the status of the guys I have been mentioning. No one on the above list comes near the iconic level of a SRV, Hendrix, EVH, Clapton, etc.

Heck, there's a LOT of Great Players, that no one knows the name of,

except their friends, and families. Always have been, always will be.

Being a "Guitar God," has directly, or indirectly, killed several great

players, too. It's really an unfair, and unwanted moniker, to hang on

some musician. Especially, by an ever growing fickled fan based public.

And, of course, everyone's definition of a "Guitar God," varies, as well.

So, what's the point, beyond espousing one's own personal prefernces?! :rolleyes:

CB

The point is the place that guitar holds in the mainstream compared to yesteryear. That is what makes something an "Era". My point is the guitar era is gone (along with instrumental appreciation). Guitars and guitarists still exist but the era is gone. Big Band era is gone, yet horns, etc., still exist.

Any name people have been posting as a modern guitarist pales to the impact that someone like Eddie Van Halen made. The world knew who Eddie was. The world does not know Joe Bonamassa, GUITARISTS and genre fans know him.

But that's the thing, there are guitar gods, there are a lot of good players out there it's just that because it all has been done in the past there is no element of surprise that propelled other guys to the spotlight.

Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Yngwie, they were the first in their respective styles. All styles have been covered so much so that many hold Kurt Cobain as their idol, they did not want any more pimp flashing guitar players.

I just saw Chris Broderick play with Megadeth and my mind was blown.

The guys from Avenged Sevenfold are some of the best dual guitars out there but God forbid that anybody says that because:

- That's what the kids like.

- They will be compared to something somebody somewhere has seen before.

Get a time machine and place these guys in 1979 and there they are Guitar Heros, end of story and argument.

Yes, they would be heroes in 1979, that is my point! They would be in the guitar era. That era is gone, which is the point of the thread. Everyone keeps arguing something I am not saying.

That is what makes something an "Era". My point is the guitar era is gone (along with instrumental appreciation). Guitars and guitarists still exist but the era is gone. Big Band era is gone, yet horns, etc., still exist.

Dude,, what is it with you and "mainstream". Who cares about mainstream.

Funny thing about eras.. they come and go... it's called time.

Deal with it. You're gonna have a stroke.

I disagree the guitar era is gone. The era of that music is gone. The guitar is doing and will do just fine.

I am willing to bet there is a much higher ratio of guitar players today than there ever was back in the Hendrix years.

Dude,, what is it with you and "mainstream". Who cares about mainstream.

Funny thing about eras.. they come and go... it's called time.

Deal with it. You're gonna have a stroke.

I disagree the guitar era is gone. The era of that music is gone. The guitar is doing and will do just fine.

I am willing to bet there is a much higher ratio of guitar players today than there ever was back in the Hendrix years.

Haha, not worried at all about it. Of course you can not care about the mainstream. I am asking a simple question that got screwed up by people not understanding simple statements. Do you think guitarists will once again reach the status that Jimmy Page, Hendrix, EVH have reached?

It's a deep issue because for that to happen lots of things need to change. Society's musical IQ has dropped. Not the people on this board, society in general. I say it will never happen again and I've said why. If someone thinks it will happen again, explain why. It's not the argument people are making it to be.

The point is the place that guitar holds in the mainstream compared to yesteryear. That is what makes something an "Era". My point is the guitar era is gone (along with instrumental appreciation). Guitars and guitarists still exist but the era is gone. Big Band era is gone, yet horns, etc., still exist.

Any name people have been posting as a modern guitarist pales to the impact that someone like Eddie Van Halen made. The world knew who Eddie was. The world does not know Joe Bonamassa, GUITARISTS and genre fans know him.

Well, that's only your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right. How do you know it won't happen

ever again. You don't! None of us do. So, what?! The whole world has evolved, and so has

music, guitar related or otherwise. Music, like fashion (and, this dicussion), tends to be

somewhat circular, as well...what's old becomes new, again.

CB

Well, that's only your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right. How do you know it won't happen

ever again. You don't! None of us do. So, what?! The whole world has evolved, and so has

music, guitar related or otherwise. Music, like fashion (and, this dicussion), tends to be

somewhat circular, as well...what's old becomes new, again.

CB

Of course it's an opinion. I am looking for other opinions. I understand that one may say "it's the up and down of fads" but there are trends that happen. I personally don't see the trend towards it happening again. I see things going the other way, for the reasons I have said. Maybe someone out there can say and explain their opinion otherwise. It's ok to discuss opinions...

Society's musical IQ has dropped. Not the people on this board, society in general.

There is no societal musical IQ, just as there is no societal food IQ. Sports IQ. There is none. People like something or they don't. They liked Frankenstein by Edgar Winter. They didn't as much like Jessica, 'Liz Reed, HotLanta, Cliffs of Dover or something by Vai or Satriani. That's all. If they don't like it, they don't buy it, like snails and tickets to lacrosse games.

rct

There is no societal musical IQ, just as there is no societal food IQ. Sports IQ. There is none. People like something or they don't. They liked Frankenstein by Edgar Winter. They didn't as much like Jessica, 'Liz Reed, HotLanta, Cliffs of Dover or something by Vai or Satriani. That's all. If they don't like it, they don't buy it, like snails and tickets to lacrosse games.

rct

Yes, there is a musical IQ. Research the subject and you may be fascinated by what you find. In a nutshell, people buy music they 'understand'. Some music demands more listening than other music. There are musical patterns, etc., that people attach to. This is the crux of my point on the fact the instrumentals, etc., have lost public appeal. The reason is deeper than you may think. It is an art that the general public is losing.

Maybe... as there are actually still so many guitar heroes still alive we need to wait for them to die before a new lot comes along?

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Brian May

BB King

Dave Gilmour

Slash (hes pretty much a modern Guitar hero and household name)

Mark Knopfler

Allman

Santana

Billy Gibbons

Clapton

Keef

and of course many others that I cant be bothered to list..

Just a theory of course :)

Now you may say that most people wont say, know who Jeff Beck is.. BUT anyone whos interested in guitar music, if they haven't heard of him yet, will come across him at some point.. And anyone who isn't.. Who gives a toss :P Let them enjoy their One Directions and Biebers ;)

Maybe... as there are actually still so many guitar heroes still alive we need to wait for them to die before a new lot comes along?

Jimmy Page

Jeff Beck

Brian May

BB King

Dave Gilmour

Slash (hes pretty much a modern Guitar hero and household name)

Mark Knopfler

Allman

Santana

Billy Gibbons

Clapton

Keef

and of course many others that I cant be bothered to list..

Just a theory of course :)

Now you may say that most people wont say, know who Jeff Beck is.. BUT anyone whos interested in guitar music, if they haven't heard of him yet, will come across him at some point.. And anyone who isn't.. Who gives a toss :P Let them enjoy their One Directions and Biebers ;)

I don't see too many fads, genres, etc., that make comebacks. They peak and then fade and maintain a niche. Music, IMO, has become so visual that what we 'see' takes precedence over what we 'hear'. Over time we get devolution of the composition.

Teenagers have always been idiots, and, with some exceptions, the music hyped up by the media has always been crap.

There are still talented people everywhere, probably even more than ever (as there are more people on the planet), it's just harder to find the really great ones when every kid with a laptop has his own "studio".

As was mentioned there are still those guitar players playing. It is you that are not listening, and that does not mean that others are not listening still to Jeff Beck or Santana or Al DiMeola or any of the others that you have ignored.

If I turn on the radio or FM radio I still am going to hear songs played along with other ones from that era, or whatever era anyone is talking about.

Just because it is you who is doing that does not mean that just because you miss out on the News, no one else is missing out on what is going on.

Just like anything else, perhaps it is just you focusing on something different, not everyone out there in music heaven or whatever it is.

It's all relative.

There are still talented people everywhere, probably even more than ever...

This [thumbup]

I'm sure there are plenty of young kids taking up the instrument this week having gotten one for Christmas. Some of them will become brilliant guitar players. Perhaps they won't achieve mainstream success, but perhaps they will lead a new vanguard of guitar rock to the "airwaves" (a term which by then may mean the streaming device implanted in your brain at birth or some such).

And like anything else, I think you perhaps (THE OP of the thread) is referring to only a particular type of music.

There have been artists and guitar players and groups playing for many a year.

The first one for 35 years or more with about as many albums still coming out with the. Forefront of Smooth Jazz perhaps.

Perhaps you will remember their first song played a lot and I mean a lot: Morning Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLu_FOa1S_c

and still he is around playing guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUt_pnutRtI

Depends perhaps on which music you listen to also.

And not being a teenager perhaps.

And like anything else, I think you perhaps (THE OP of the thread) is referring to only a particular type of music.

There have been artists and guitar players and groups playing for many a year.

The first one for 35 years or more with about as many albums still coming out with the. Forefront of Smooth Jazz perhaps.

Perhaps you will remember their first song played a lot and I mean a lot: Morning Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLu_FOa1S_c

and still he is around playing guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUt_pnutRtI

Depends perhaps on which music you listen to also.

And not being a teenager perhaps.

Yes, I am a fan of this. This has loyal followers that are typically of similar age as the musicians. I am not saying it's not out there, it's just not appreciated as much. I'd like to see a very talented, groundbreaking band of 25-30 years olds that compose something of musical depth reach the top of the charts. A band that takes pride in the composition and not the dance moves...

This [thumbup]

I'm sure there are plenty of young kids taking up the instrument this week having gotten one for Christmas. Some of them will become brilliant guitar players. Perhaps they won't achieve mainstream success, but perhaps they will lead a new vanguard of guitar rock to the "airwaves" (a term which by then may mean the streaming device implanted in your brain at birth or some such).

I hope so. As I have said, I have been giving guitar lessons for free since 1990, often times loaning out guitars to kids until they can buy their own. I want it to happen as much as anyone.

As was mentioned there are still those guitar players playing. It is you that are not listening, and that does not mean that others are not listening still to Jeff Beck or Santana or Al DiMeola or any of the others that you have ignored.

If I turn on the radio or FM radio I still am going to hear songs played along with other ones from that era, or whatever era anyone is talking about.

Just because it is you who is doing that does not mean that just because you miss out on the News, no one else is missing out on what is going on.

Just like anything else, perhaps it is just you focusing on something different, not everyone out there in music heaven or whatever it is.

It's all relative.

Oh, I listen alright. But, they are from the guitar era I mentioned. Remember, I am not saying it does not exist. Jeff Beck topped the charts, he did it. He helped create the era that is gone. No young Jeff Beck exists in the mainstream that he created. They exist, however.

Archived