Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II suggested strings

aldob

Hallo to everybody.

Writing from Italy, where i live, and where I recently purchased a beautiful Sheraton II natural, of which I am fully satisfied, specially for the action and handle.

The guitar comes with a standard set of string, and I like to have ready as pare set: I would like to know the gauge of the string the guitar is equipped from the factory, as I have no intention to make any regulation to the truss rod and/or the action, that i found ok.

Second question: the string for semihollow guitars belong to the category of "electric" ? Or there is something more specific ?

Thanks

Hallo to everybody.

Writing from Italy, where i live, and where I recently purchased a beautiful Sheraton II natural, of which I am fully satisfied, specially for the action and handle.

The guitar comes with a standard set of string, and I like to have ready as pare set: I would like to know the gauge of the string the guitar is equipped from the factory, as I have no intention to make any regulation to the truss rod and/or the action, that i found ok.

Second question: the string for semihollow guitars belong to the category of "electric" ? Or there is something more specific ?

Thanks

I can highly recommend 11-49s pure nickel by Fender! Good price and great tone!

Welcome, to the forum! [thumbup]

Yes, buy "Electric" guitar strings, for your Sheri, because of the magnetic

pickups. Acoustic guitar strings would be very "dead" sounding, on that guitar,

and generally stiffer, and heavier guaged, as well.

What kind if music, do you play? Rock, Blues, Country, or Jazz? If Jazz,

I'd recommend "flat wound" strings, of a slightly heavier guage, than for

Rock, Blues, or Country. But, it's really a matter of personal taste. With

Jazz, one tends to slide up (or down) to notes, rather than bending to them,

so the flat wound strings, cut way down on string noise, when you're sliding

your fingers to those notes. Wound strings, in lighter guages allow for more

bending, as is common in Blues and Rock, and have a somewhat "twangier" sound,

as well, which is great for "Country" or "Rock a Billy" styles. There are "half-

rounds" as well. They are a compromise, between round wound, and flat wound versions.

As to brands, take your pick. There are truly a lot of good/great brands. Your dealer

can (most likely) help you, that way, as long as he knows what "sound" you are more

partial to.

Cheers, and good luck! [biggrin]

CB

Thanks everybody for the atention.

I play country western, most strumming, with some fingerpick. Maybe not the best guitar for it; when I practice, i like the sound of my acoustic guitar better; but with ampli, on stage, the acoustic give me some strange feelings. Pure electric, don't like it. This one, seem somewhere in the middle.

Guess to have chord sound more "acoustic", bigger gaugestring is better than smaller ?

Thanks everybody for the atention.

I play country western, most strumming, with some fingerpick. Maybe not the best guitar for it; when I practice, i like the sound of my acoustic guitar better; but with ampli, on stage, the acoustic give me some strange feelings. Pure electric, don't like it. This one, seem somewhere in the middle.

Guess to have chord sound more "acoustic", bigger gauge string is better than smaller ?

Heavier guage stings will sound "fuller." But, please don't use "Acoustic" strings, on

your Sheraton! That will sound terrible! With it's magnetic pickups, it needs "electric"

guitar strings, ONLY! Capish? [biggrin]

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Archived